Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 'professional drivers' .....  (Read 15385 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: 'professional drivers' .....
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2020, 13:01:17 »

Also, don't forget, that 55 on your speedometer is about 51 on theirs... So if they're doing 56 (as per their limiter :-X) then that's almost 10% differential which is the bare minimum required to overtake safely.

and being that much high off the ground he'd have been able to see that there was no chance at all of achieving what he was attempting.

I used to tow at more like 60 (plus  ::)) with my previous caravan, but this one is the best part of 2 tonne, attached to the car by a teeny 50mm ball ..... I'm happier at 55  ;)

Me too 55 is fine, have seen some towing at 70 plus & the aftermath ! Definitely not for me.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2020, 14:30:25 »

Also, don't forget, that 55 on your speedometer is about 51 on theirs... So if they're doing 56 (as per their limiter :-X) then that's almost 10% differential which is the bare minimum required to overtake safely.

and being that much high off the ground he'd have been able to see that there was no chance at all of achieving what he was attempting.

I used to tow at more like 60 (plus  ::)) with my previous caravan, but this one is the best part of 2 tonne, attached to the car by a teeny 50mm ball ..... I'm happier at 55  ;)
I understand that, but just be mindful that an indicated 55 is just the wrong speed... Possibly be better dropping back to 50 and let everything pass by easily ;)

It's the right speed for me  :) :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2020, 14:35:48 »

Ok, emphasis on the indicated bit.

The indicated speed of cars is apples to the pears of indicated speed of trucks... Similar, but not the same.

If you want to sit at a speed that puts you in constant conflict with trucks, that's entirely up to you, but you can't have it both ways.  ;)

Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2020, 15:30:25 »

Ok, emphasis on the indicated bit.

The indicated speed of cars is apples to the pears of indicated speed of trucks... Similar, but not the same.

If you want to sit at a speed that puts you in constant conflict with trucks, that's entirely up to you, but you can't have it both ways.  ;)

I don't see your point. What ever speed I was at, he attempted an overtake that he was never in month of Sundays ever going to mange but then wanted me to slow down to allow him to complete it .....
tosser!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2020, 15:37:08 »

Not arguing with you on that point :y

As I said, tipper drivers are a special inbreed.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 August 2020, 16:18:06 »

Recently I've been sitting in the passenger seat of my Very careful wife, on journeys down the M6 to Uttoxeter. 
Now I'm not saying her lane discipline is always correct, but if you are in a 50 zone, in lane 2 of 4, doing 48, passing a truck doing less, there is absolutely no need for another truck to get as close as possible (so close you couldn't get another car in the gap)
Unfortunately my wife won't take my advice, which is a) use the cruise control and set it a real 52 Mph or b) if someone gets too close, take your foot off the accelerator, and slow down a little.

There's no excuse for intimidation. Not when the victim, has nowhere to go, (other than over the speed limit).

There's also no need, to undertake on a round about when it's clear that the driver of the car you are undertaking is either differing or confused about which junction they are about to take. And then wonder why that driver cut you up on attempting to take the exit she was correctly indicating for, when she joined the roundabout in front of you.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 August 2020, 16:33:10 »

An indicated 48 is alot nearer 44... Ahead of traffic that could be doing an actual 50...

Accelerating away from a situation is as defensive as slowing down, and less likely to get you killed.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 August 2020, 16:34:54 »

A real 48. An indicated 53.
Comparison, between Sat Nav and Astra gauge.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 August 2020, 16:39:40 »

Fair enough :y

Worth driving at the limit, (if appropriate), especially if below NSL as that reduces the number of impatient arseholes behind you... They've nowt to get pissy about when they realise that you're doing the limit ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 August 2020, 16:45:34 »

I was always taught that speed "limits" are exactly that .. a "limit" not to be exceeded... not a "target" to be maintained.

Drive at the speed you feel comfortable with, not what some other idiot tries to force you to do.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 August 2020, 16:51:17 »

Tipper pilots, a total breed unto themselves.  Only good thing to learn from them, If they don't slow down thro roadworks, cameras don't work, so it's flat to mat, keep er lit, Whooosh.  Another tip in roadworks if in car stay in lane 1 or 3,.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 August 2020, 16:55:27 »

I was always taught that speed "limits" are exactly that .. a "limit" not to be exceeded... not a "target" to be maintained.

Drive at the speed you feel comfortable with, not what some other idiot tries to force you to do.
This is true, in which case slow your speed enough to clearly define the speed diffential. Either get ahead of the menace or drop back from it, but for your own safety don't sit with it, even if you're technically right.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 August 2020, 17:02:10 »

This is true, in which case slow your speed enough to clearly define the speed diffential. Either get ahead of the menace or drop back from it, but for your own safety don't sit with it, even if you're technically right.

Exactly. Not only is it safer, but it's much less frustrating and easier to do.

On that note, if you're constantly frustrated/annoyed/surprised by what the other traffic is doing YOU are the problem, not them.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 August 2020, 17:19:57 »

I must have missed the bit in the highway code that entitles HGV drivers to be driving on the limiter 100% of the time without ever lifting off or showing regard for the traffic around them. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 August 2020, 17:21:47 »

I must have missed the bit in the highway code that entitles HGV drivers to be driving on the limiter 100% of the time without ever lifting off or showing regard for the traffic around them. :-X
You didn't, but equally I would wager that you don't actively sit at 50-55 anywhere near them either ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.