Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake pad warning  (Read 5553 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pad warning
« Reply #30 on: 02 August 2006, 16:06:16 »

I just open the window and throw a ships anchor out round the nearest lampost. ;)

That would make you a dangerous driver in unlit areas... unstopable is the word that comes to mind?

AAs only got a 2.2 auto, probably wont go over 20mph anyway  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]
Retired

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 August 2006, 16:07:48 »

I just open the window and throw a ships anchor out round the nearest lampost. ;)

That would make you a dangerous driver in unlit areas... unstopable is the word that comes to mind?

AAs only got a 2.2 auto, probably wont go over 20mph anyway  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

:( :( :( :(
I like red cars

Redeye

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 August 2006, 20:31:42 »

Follow up: It gets stranger. I went back to pick the car up, the engineer showed me the rear pads that he'd replaced, they were wafer thin, absolutely at the limit. He showed me the front brakes, the pads were ok but the funny thing was the sensors were not connected, they were just hanging loose! Now, how come I got the warning if they weren't even connected and the other funny thing is now he's replaced the rear brake pads the warning doesn't appear anymore! Anyway I'm happy now and he changed the oil and filter at the same time.   ;)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 August 2006, 20:37:39 »

Follow up: It gets stranger. I went back to pick the car up, the engineer showed me the rear pads that he'd replaced, they were wafer thin, absolutely at the limit. He showed me the front brakes, the pads were ok but the funny thing was the sensors were not connected, they were just hanging loose! Now, how come I got the warning if they weren't even connected and the other funny thing is now he's replaced the rear brake pads the warning doesn't appear anymore! Anyway I'm happy now and he changed the oil and filter at the same time.   ;)

I am told that if you leave the sensors un-connected, you get the MID message. The way it works is that the message comes-on when the sensor no longer makes contact with the pad material and the circuit is broken (apparently if you really want to get rid of the sensors you need to short-circuit the wires). This will explain why the message came on when the sensors were not connected.

Now that the mechanic (presumably) connected back the front sensors, the MID message is gone..

« Last Edit: 02 August 2006, 20:39:05 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 August 2006, 20:44:01 »

Engineer my arse....spanner wielding monkey....no engineering qualification there!

The brake pad wear sensors have a loop of wire inside the plastic section, when the pads get low the plastic section gets worn away and brakes the electrical circuit.....hence the warning light comes on.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 August 2006, 20:44:45 »

Thanks mate real help  :) i'll pm u my adress now ok

OK, got them, for the un-initiated this is what it looks like (pic dedicated to AA and TD):

Alas, no more Omegas....

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 August 2006, 20:54:33 »

U are an absolute star! cheque will be in the post first thing in the morn. Can u give me your address please so i can send off the cheque also let me know how much u want for postage thanks v/much liam ;D
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 August 2006, 20:55:18 »

U are an absolute star! cheque will be in the post first thing in the morn. Can u give me your address please so i can send off the cheque also let me know how much u want for postage thanks v/much liam ;D

PM sent :)
Alas, no more Omegas....

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 August 2006, 21:08:32 »

Thanks m8 sent u 1 back liam  ;)
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.