Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop question  (Read 845 times)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Laptop question
« on: 28 October 2014, 22:12:42 »

Quite simple really. Replacing the battered Sony with a new one for the little one. So very basic use, occasionaly online flash gaming etc.

I have narrowed it down to:

Lenovo £250

or

HP G3 £270

I am leaning towards the Lenovo. My past experience of HP has not been perfect.

Any other contenders or suggestions?
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Temetsy

• Finland
    • b1 x25xe sedan
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop question
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2014, 22:42:25 »

I'd say go for the Lenovo. Better processor with faster video memory. Otherwise those two are pretty pretty much the same :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2014, 23:19:53 »

no idea really..

but check their device drivers for different op.systems for download in case of crash..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2014, 19:02:10 »

Those HP's are pretty good/reliable, its not like the Pavilion shite they get the high street outlets to shift.  Mrs TB has G1 version, and I have one of its predecessors from about 6yrs ago (the HP low cost business range). The Stinkpads always have had, always will have awkward drivers. But both worth considering though.

Both will be similar performance, both will have too much shite installed that need removing ;D

If portability is important, both these are the larger form factor, with a numeric pad on the keyboard. This is becoming more common, but makes it a tad big for using it on your lap (or in the bath ::)).
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2014, 20:18:05 »

Its for the child in the house. So no lap/bath use. On a table, occasionally on the sofa. The HP is tempting. But the Lenovo is slightly better specced and costs a bit less. Both seem to be similarly rated by users on the web.

My issues with HP previously have been related to warranty and heat/cooling issues.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2014, 20:20:12 »

I will get rid of bloatware and install child monitoring software.

Any other contenders that TB or anyone else can suggest?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2014, 20:28:55 »

Its for the child in the house. So no lap/bath use. On a table, occasionally on the sofa. The HP is tempting. But the Lenovo is slightly better specced and costs a bit less. Both seem to be similarly rated by users on the web.

My issues with HP previously have been related to warranty and heat/cooling issues.
Having integrated graphics on a Core i3, neither will suffer overheating issues, unless rested on a duvet/blanket etc whilst its busy.

I'd generally go for HP (not consumer shite like Pavillion though), Toshiba (should get one for similarish price - check Argos of all places ;)) or upmarket Dell (cheaper ones tend to be a bit shite).  So in that "around £300" mark, I'd go HP or Tosh.

Don't settle for less than a 3rd gen Core i3 (both those in your earlier links are 4th gen), 4Gb RAM (as it'll be 64bit Windows), and if you can stretch to it, an SSD (very few laptops come with SSDs for price/spec/warranty reasons).
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2014, 20:42:33 »

I have a spare SSD at home, which I will swap around. With a child using it, they are not particularly gentle and the SSD will probably be more hardy than the basic 5400rpm HDD that low end machine come with.

I do like Toshibas, but couldn't find a Haswell specced machine at that sort of price point.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2014, 20:53:35 »

This (or one very similar) was £299 2 weeks ago when I was looking for my mate's missus

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2487054.htm#pdpFullProductInformation
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.