Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reluctant central locking  (Read 1638 times)

JimmyR

• West Midlands
    • Astra
    • View Profile
Reluctant central locking
« on: 03 August 2018, 15:26:10 »

Hi all!

My locks seem reluctant to open, but are working. However I'd like to catch them before they stop completely. The battery seems good but I won't rule it out

I'm planning to take the door cards off tomorrow and grease the mechanism, however does anybody in the know have any particular tips from experience? Maybe there is something else the matter that isn't obvious to me

I've found a handy guide on here to help me take the door cards off, so that'll be my first chore for the morning.

The car is an S-reg CDX estate, if that makes a difference. I think it's the mini facelift (it has the extra fuse box on top of the battery)

2.5 V6 with a manual gearbox

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Re: Reluctant central locking
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2018, 16:36:42 »

Perhaps silly question but does your central lock work when you use it by turning the key in drivers door.

JimmyR

• West Midlands
    • Astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2018, 17:23:50 »

Perhaps silly question but does your central lock work when you use it by turning the key in drivers door.

It all works, it just seems like the locks release slower than they used to. I think I just need to lubricate the mechanism :)

JimmyR

• West Midlands
    • Astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2018, 17:56:42 »

Sorry all, I'll clarify, I was reporting second hand information and I misunderstood it!

I've checked and it won't properly lock on its own. Two pins will go halfway down and stop there. They all easily go down and lock when pushed down.

Does this sound like a normal lubrication job or am I looking for new ECU or actuators or anything else?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2018, 18:15:08 »

Yes, I have found with experience that the individual lock solenoids require replacement when that starts to happen.  Whatever you do in the meantime can only be considered a temporary fix. ;)
« Last Edit: 03 August 2018, 18:19:40 by Lizzie Zoom »

JimmyR

• West Midlands
    • Astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2018, 18:18:44 »

Yes, I have found with experience that the individual lock solenoids require replacement when that starts to happen.  Whatever you do i the meantime can only be considered a temporary fix. ;)

Thanks, I'll start with greasing the pins then and see where that gets me (as I don't have the solenoids to hand), but I'll be prepared to sort that out :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2018, 18:24:40 »

Yes, I have found with experience that the individual lock solenoids require replacement when that starts to happen.  Whatever you do i the meantime can only be considered a temporary fix. ;)

Thanks, I'll start with greasing the pins then and see where that gets me (as I don't have the solenoids to hand), but I'll be prepared to sort that out :)
Silicon spray :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

JimmyR

• West Midlands
    • Astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2018, 18:28:58 »

Silicon spray :y

Probably a good idea! :)

JimmyR

• West Midlands
    • Astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2018, 16:27:14 »

Just to update anyone who wants it!

It was cranking slowly and so we checked the battery with a multimeter. That was low so I changed it for a brand new one.

The central locking suddenly works perfectly again :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.