Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MSCA  (Read 4634 times)

Taxi_Driver

MSCA
« on: 23 July 2006, 18:34:47 »

Hi All

After 3 years being away from IT, ive decided i want to give it another go.
I used to do Tier2/Tier3 support (which is desktop and server support)
I stopped originally 3 years ago because I was getting bored of desktop support.

Ive have now decided I want to do this

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/security/windowsserver2003.asp

Security is more sought after than general support

Anybody else a MSCA in MS Security?

Ive just ordered the first self paced book 70-290

I have some experience in the self teaching method as I have a MCP in NTServer4 (bit out of date now!) and this is how i did it......but just wondering if anyone else has experience of doing this course.

Cheers

Dave

Oh BTW some of the exams on that list are compulsary, some are electives, the list ive chosen is
70-290
70-291
70-270
70-299
70-350

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: MSCA
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2006, 18:39:07 »

Pssst.....anyone want to buy a Taxi.....Finlay? ;)
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2006, 18:40:53 »

My concern with that, is it may be worth waiting.

It is a considerable amount of effort required, and Windows Server codename Longhorn is out next year.

Seems a shame to put in so much effort to get a qualification on what will be an obsolete product.
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2006, 18:43:03 »

Pssst.....anyone want to buy a Taxi.....Finlay? ;)

;D Think it may take a while AA  ;D

And Finlay dont like 2.2's  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2006, 18:48:05 »

And Finlay dont like 2.2's  ;)
Nah, far too easy to work on. He only enjoys a hard challenge
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2006, 18:51:12 »

My concern with that, is it may be worth waiting.

It is a considerable amount of effort required, and Windows Server codename Longhorn is out next year.

Seems a shame to put in so much effort to get a qualification on what will be an obsolete product.

I had thought a bit about that......but i think many comps will still be using Server2003 for quite a few years yet......some are still using 2000. Most comps wont change server until its proved to be relaible and several service packs later.

Plus I bet MS will do a fast track upgrade from 2003 to the new OS

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2006, 18:53:41 »

Some companies are still using NT4  :-?

I know MS do upgrade exams for MCSE, not sure about others. Also, these upgrade exams are 1 attempt only - fail, and you have to do the full lot again.

Also, you are going to have to complete all the exams required for qualification before MS stop them...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2006, 19:12:53 »

Good point about the 1 attempt, i had forgotten that.

Im not really sure about the upgrade for a MSCA either.......its all changed since i did my MCP.....it just used to be MCP's and MSCE's! collect enuf MCP's (the right ones) and you got a MSCE!

I am hoping to complete them within 6months to a year
6 months would be good....but unlikely...as the server2003 OS they give you only has 180 days evaluation.
Ive never tried eval OS's before, always had full blown working versions so dont know what happens when 180 days is up......and not sure how clever server2003 is with licensing.
I have some ideas of maybe how to get round it......but wouldnt discuss them here  ;)

I think it will be a few years before MS stop doing the 2003 exams......they're still doing 2000

Are you trying to put me off Jamie  ;)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2006, 19:23:27 »

Just had a email from WHSmith confirming the order.......i usually order from Amazon....but they didnt have any in stock....WHSmiths did.....couple of squid more but.......funny thing is bottom of their email was......

WHSmith Direct, Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN3 3LD, United Kingdom   ;D

Should get it pretty quick then.........hopefully  :-?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2006, 21:13:33 »

Just had a email from WHSmith confirming the order.......i usually order from Amazon....but they didnt have any in stock....WHSmiths did.....couple of squid more but.......funny thing is bottom of their email was......

WHSmith Direct, Greenbridge Road, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN3 3LD, United Kingdom   ;D

Best of luck with your new project Dave [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2006, 21:44:23 »

Im not really sure about the upgrade for a MSCA either.......its all changed since i did my MCP.....it just used to be MCP's and MSCE's! collect enuf MCP's (the right ones) and you got a MSCE!

6 months would be good....but unlikely...as the server2003 OS they give you only has 180 days evaluation.
Ive never tried eval OS's before, always had full blown working versions so dont know what happens when 180 days is up......and not sure how clever server2003 is with licensing.
I have some ideas of maybe how to get round it......but wouldnt discuss them here  ;)

I think it will be a few years before MS stop doing the 2003 exams......they're still doing 2000

Not trying to put you off at all, just trying to ram it home that Windows Server codename Longhorn is out soon, and the qualifications will quickly follow (they have to, as MS needs to get this out in the corporations quicker then w2k or w2k3).

Officially, after 180 days it stops working... ;)
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2006, 07:19:29 »

Best of luck with your new project Dave [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers AA  :)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2006, 07:24:01 »

Not trying to put you off at all, just trying to ram it home that Windows Server codename Longhorn is out soon, and the qualifications will quickly follow (they have to, as MS needs to get this out in the corporations quicker then w2k or w2k3).

Officially, after 180 days it stops working... ;)

Thanks for the advice......still gonna give it a go tho'.....i can be stubborn like that sometimes   ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2006, 08:40:16 »

Thanks for the advice......still gonna give it a go tho'
Best of luck with it then - and as you've done MCP you know what to expect (ie MS answers, not necessarily the best answer).  Keep us updated with your progress, though I'm sure you'll sail through it...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2006, 07:26:18 »

Thanks for the advice......still gonna give it a go tho'
Best of luck with it then - and as you've done MCP you know what to expect (ie MS answers, not necessarily the best answer).  Keep us updated with your progress, though I'm sure you'll sail through it...

Cheers m8.....From what I can remember when I did my MCP......the exam was multiple guess.....4 answers.....2 of which obviously wrong....2 of which could be correct......unless you knew the topic inside out and if you got it wrong it asked another question of the same topic and kept asking upto about 5/6 questions on the same topic until you got one correct.

Just wondering if this method of exam had changed? Tho im sure i'll find out with the pratice tests  :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.