Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbos. Just a few learning questions...  (Read 4555 times)

cem_devecioglu

« Last Edit: 16 October 2014, 21:11:48 by cem »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Turbos. Just a few learning questions...
« Reply #16 on: 17 October 2014, 09:12:11 »

Thanks for all the input guys.

Are we saying that ''IN GENERAL'' NA cars don't have the meat n veg down bottom end to deal with any type of turbo coming in?

I can well believe it... I mean if it was meant to be turbo charged it wold have been. innit lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2014, 10:29:54 »

Rarely the case actually, most engines are fine at the bottom end and the Omega, particularly the 3.2 is pretty strong.

The major issue is cooling and compression ratio in pretty much every case

When you use forced induction you get elevated cylinder temperatures and that heat has to be managed, this we know is the downfall of the Omega V6 in this scenario.

There are ways to manage it, oil squirters to cool the piston crown are easy enough to fit as are a few cooling modes to the coolant passages.

Similarly with compression ratio, forced induction increases the dynamic compression ratio and hence the static has to be reduced to compensate.

The Sheriff

« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2014, 10:57:14 »

Rarely the case actually, most engines are fine at the bottom end and the Omega, particularly the 3.2 is pretty strong.

When you use forced induction you get elevated cylinder temperatures and that heat has to be managed, this we know is the downfall of the Omega V6 in this scenario.

There are ways to manage it, oil squirters to cool the piston crown are easy enough to fit as are a few cooling modes to the coolant passages.

Similarly with compression ratio, forced induction increases the dynamic compression ratio and hence the static has to be reduced to compensate.
I was gonna tell him that but you beat me to it.....again.  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2014, 12:17:02 »

Thanks Mark,

So, if I've got this right, as well as messing with the cooling and fitting extra cooling aids, the heads would need to come off to be skimmed or combustion chamber bowled out more to adjust the CR?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2014, 12:20:56 »

Various ways of doing it, dished forged pistons, thicker head gasket etc.....clearly skimming will increase the compression ratio not reduce it  :y

omega3000

« Reply #21 on: 17 October 2014, 12:34:03 »

Is 3.0 bottom end strong enough  ::)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2014, 12:51:30 »

Various ways of doing it, dished forged pistons, thicker head gasket etc.....clearly skimming will increase the compression ratio not reduce it  :y

lol yeah sorry should have typed slower and read what I was putting  ::) ;)

So, my point being.... whatever way you wrap it up simply jamming a turbo on an NA car will require you to perform some internal mods even if the bottom end is up to the task of coping with it.

so, how would one choose a turbo? am I right in thinking that smaller ones create less lag as they spool up quicker but don't provide great boost at the top of the rev range and vice versa with big ones....
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2014, 13:22:26 »

No way an expert on this level of 'modding', however yes, that's the reason Lotus chose twin Garrett T25 Turbochargers for the Lotus Carlton - the idea being two little ones spool up quicker than one big one. Also take note of certain cars in production that have one tiny turbo and one larger one - for the same reason.

The general consensus is that supercharging the V6 is the best route, however, you must tread your own path; and I wish you best of success  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2014, 13:54:12 »

so, how would one choose a turbo? am I right in thinking that smaller ones create less lag as they spool up quicker but don't provide great boost at the top of the rev range and vice versa with big ones....

There are lots of sums to do to get the best out of it. It's easy to do badly and difficult to do well.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2014, 20:05:06 »

personally I think even 6-7 psi turbo setup will be more than enough for daily use (for omega)
but even in that case the first problem you will face is injectors fuelling will not be sufficient
so you will need higher flow injectors( also you can use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator).. of course in that case the question is : will the pump be adequate for that rate.. and 3rd problem will be ecu..  it has to compansate increased air flow rate..  so you will need a custom programmed ecu (cheapest is megasquirt) .. 4th you will need intercooler to cool the heated compressed air.. compression ratio is not that criticial contrary to the general belief (if you wont go in high turbo pressures ) .. instead you have to deal with fuel air ratio (to control you need a wideband lambda) and change it drastically when pressure kicks in..  and you have to retard ignition from custom ecu which you cant with the stock one..

if you will go in that expense to turbo , than cooling can be solved with "some" investment :)  (in that supercharged calibra they cut slots in the block for better coolant flow )

but generally speaking it wont be cheap in any case
« Last Edit: 17 October 2014, 20:10:32 by cem »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2014, 22:23:31 »

.. compression ratio is not that criticial contrary to the general belief (if you wont go in high turbo pressures ) ..

I wouldn't put even 6-7 PSI of boost into an engine with 10.8:1 compression (as in the X25/30XE).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2014, 22:42:00 »

.. compression ratio is not that criticial contrary to the general belief (if you wont go in high turbo pressures ) ..

I wouldn't put even 6-7 PSI of boost into an engine with 10.8:1 compression (as in the X25/30XE).

ok.. whats the outcome of high compression on a boosted engine?  early ignition before spark.. and detonation..

this can be solved in several ways..  ignition retard, increasing fuel in air fuel ratio, cooling air by intercooler and water injection and lastly higher octane fuel

I have seen lots of audi turbos with 11.5 :1  ,  and also I didnt drop my compression ratio too..

if the car is equipped with a knock sensor , most stock ecus retard ignition to some extent.. of course if thats not enough you may use other methods.. at low boosts 10.8 :1  is not that problem

dropping the compression also has another disadvantage the car will need more boost to go..

I have seen 22 psi boost with stock compression
« Last Edit: 17 October 2014, 22:46:12 by cem »

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 17 October 2014, 23:22:39 »

You can have a reliable 250hp (30-40,000 miles) in the Toyota 1ZZ, that's 10.0:1 and 140hp standard.  OK so maybe adding a similar percentage if you start with 10.8:1 would be optimistic, but..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #29 on: 17 October 2014, 23:22:50 »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.