Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC Repair Shop - Dangerous Practice?  (Read 3310 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
BBC Repair Shop - Dangerous Practice?
« on: 17 May 2019, 17:56:59 »

I have just watched the latest episode of Repair Shop (Friday 17/05/19) which is a great show.  However, I am very concerned about one item that was "repaired".

I watched as a mains electric gramophone and wireless from 70 years ago was restored,  But no electrical testing was done before the 'expert' plugged in the devices and managed to fuse the lights of the repair shop. He apparently eventually got the devices going, but it appeared that at no stage was the mains cable or the wires within the wireless replaced,  It appeared that the old brown mains cable was kept judging by what was shown, and at no stage was there any mention of electric testing by a qualified electrician. 

Now I remember that old brown cable well, and the rubber sheathing eventually perished, exposing just the bare wires that made a lovely flash, bang, and used to blow the lights.  The wires within a 70 year old electrical appliance would also be brittle.

Now I wonder if what I saw was the case, or an instance of poor editing an information giving. But, did the 'customer' who left with the gramophone and radio cabinet take back to her home a fire risk? 

The programme did mention briefly the dangers of old electrical appliances at the start of this repair, but at no stage confirmed the necessary testing and replacement of 70 year old cabling  had taken place.  I have been carrying out electrical work for 50 years, so I do know the dangers of getting this type of thing wrong.

Did anyone else see this programme?  Any comments from the qualified electricians on here?

I have written to the BBC about this, so I will be interested in their reply which, hopefully, will eradicate my fears!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: BBC Repair Shop - Dangerous Practice?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2019, 18:25:06 »

I have just watched the latest episode of Repair Shop (Friday 17/05/19) which is a great show.  However, I am very concerned about one item that was "repaired".

I watched as a mains electric gramophone and wireless from 70 years ago was restored,  But no electrical testing was done before the 'expert' plugged in the devices and managed to fuse the lights of the repair shop. He apparently eventually got the devices going, but it appeared that at no stage was the mains cable or the wires within the wireless replaced,  It appeared that the old brown mains cable was kept judging by what was shown, and at no stage was there any mention of electric testing by a qualified electrician. 

Now I remember that old brown cable well, and the rubber sheathing eventually perished, exposing just the bare wires that made a lovely flash, bang, and used to blow the lights.  The wires within a 70 year old electrical appliance would also be brittle.

Now I wonder if what I saw was the case, or an instance of poor editing an information giving. But, did the 'customer' who left with the gramophone and radio cabinet take back to her home a fire risk? 

The programme did mention briefly the dangers of old electrical appliances at the start of this repair, but at no stage confirmed the necessary testing and replacement of 70 year old cabling  had taken place.  I have been carrying out electrical work for 50 years, so I do know the dangers of getting this type of thing wrong.

Did anyone else see this programme?  Any comments from the qualified electricians on here?

I have written to the BBC about this, so I will be interested in their reply which, hopefully, will eradicate my fears!

Lizzie....you are of an age to be familiar with Nipper the dog. ;) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2019, 18:28:38 »

I'm pretty good with Corsa electric's.

.......an expert on the battery.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2019, 18:34:50 »

Lizzie....you are of an age to be familiar with Nipper the dog. ;) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Yes, I used to play his records on my old wind up gramophone :-* ;D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2019, 18:39:22 »

Nipper must be ' getting on a bit ' these days.... ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2019, 18:46:08 »

Nipper must be ' getting on a bit ' these days.... ;D

Yep, but his company is still (just) going :D :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2019, 19:06:28 »

It appeared that the old brown mains cable was kept judging by what was shown, and at no stage was there any mention of electric testing by a qualified electrician. 

The programme did mention briefly the dangers of old electrical appliances at the start of this repair,

I've not seen the program , but I'm sure the the 'customer' has an up to date ,metal CCU with RCD fault current and MCB over current protection, AFDDs , mains interlinked smokes ,fireproof paint etc etc
like all us OOF members  ;D :D

if not , they can get extra TV content  for "inside the ambulance" and "24 hours in A&E " or "heir hunters" if they get a fatal P155er  :y 

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2019, 19:31:07 »

It appeared that the old brown mains cable was kept judging by what was shown, and at no stage was there any mention of electric testing by a qualified electrician. 

The programme did mention briefly the dangers of old electrical appliances at the start of this repair,

I've not seen the program , but I'm sure the the 'customer' has an up to date ,metal CCU with RCD fault current and MCB over current protection, AFDDs , mains interlinked smokes ,fireproof paint etc etc
like all us OOF members  ;D :D

if not , they can get extra TV content  for "inside the ambulance" and "24 hours in A&E " or "heir hunters" if they get a fatal P155er  :y

Don't forget 24 Hours in Police Custody for the 'expert' in the show ;D ;D ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2019, 19:58:07 »

I don't think, they would repair something on TV, and give it back, if it wasn't 100% safe and legal, just imagine if it went bang and killed some fluffy bunnies, or help us a Germany Kylie contestant.
Hoof'land storeman.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2019, 21:29:47 »

I don't think, they would repair something on TV, and give it back, if it wasn't 100% safe and legal, just imagine if it went bang and killed some fluffy bunnies, or help us a Germany Kylie contestant.

Yes, indeed, I hope that is the case.  But why did they not show wires being replaced and emphasise the crucial importance of making sure the electrical safety of the appliance had been fully established by way of testing.  As I said, the 'expert' first tested whether or not the record deck and wireless were working, after taking them both out of their wooden cabinet, by plugging them into the mains, which blew the Repair Shop's fuses.  Why show someone who is meant to know better behaving in that amatuerish manner?  Regardless of what is the real truth about what was shown, why show youngsters watching at that time of day something you should never do and could kill?  That really is my point, and I am hoping the BBC clarify the situation ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2019, 21:40:47 »

I agree, it was totally irresponsible, from your description. Lizzie.
I was a college lecturer in electronics for 20 years, but also trained young would-be electricians (NVQ) and always, ALWAYS emphasised safety aspects, closely supervising any student working on live mains - I neded to be fireproof in the dock at the Old Bailey!

Ron.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2019, 21:46:50 »

I was a college lecturer in electronics for 20 years, but also trained young would-be electricians (NVQ) and always, ALWAYS emphasised safety aspects, closely supervising any student working on live mains - I neded to be fireproof in the dock at the Old Bailey!

Ron.
did you get the Megger out and give your students a shock  :-X  ;D :D
my lecturer did  :-[

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2019, 21:52:59 »

No, but I had a hard job stopping the buggers from giving one another shocks! >:(

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2019, 14:10:13 »

Ron.

Yes indeed Ron.  It is called a "Duty of Care" :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2019, 14:12:49 »

Ron.
did you get the Megger out and give your students a shock  :-X  ;D :D
my lecturer did  :-[

Well, me being a sad person Dave, certainly was shouting at the screen to give the "expert" my advice.  Trouble is he wasn't listening!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 18 queries.