Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oil change (or not)  (Read 2731 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
oil change (or not)
« on: 26 March 2020, 23:53:47 »

yesterday my car was put in for its mot & a service, 8.30 am. it was ready for 11.30. i supplied the oil as i wanted to make sure it was the one reccomended for the vehicle. the fitment is 3.75 ltrs & it was a 5ltr container that i left with them. my drive from the garage to home is less than 1/2ml. when i took the oil can out of my boot i noticed there was only about 3/4 of a ltr left. so i surmise it had been overfilled. i left it whilst today to check. it was up so i sucked it out with a mitivac , but i was left wondering if they actually changed the oil filter as the oil was black looking. the omegas i have had after an oil change it was quite hard to see it. its got me wondering. :-\

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: oil change (or not)
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2020, 01:54:07 »

Cant see from your sig if the car is petrol or diseasal, if it's the latter then oil being black immediately after a change is not unusual in my experience.

On all the diesel cars I've had, after a change the oil is 'better' looking but you could only tell if you saw the before and after, otherwise it still just looks black.  ;D

This was true for a rover 45 2.0d, Mondeo MK3 tddi, and Volvo D5, so I assume it's true of most diesels.

On the petrol cars I've owned, the difference was much more noticeable, albeit the oil never got as black.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2020, 09:43:02 »

Wot e sed :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2020, 10:06:49 »

Cant see from your sig if the car is petrol or diseasal, if it's the latter then oil being black immediately after a change is not unusual in my experience.

On all the diesel cars I've had, after a change the oil is 'better' looking but you could only tell if you saw the before and after, otherwise it still just looks black.  ;D

This was true for a rover 45 2.0d, Mondeo MK3 tddi, and Volvo D5, so I assume it's true of most diesels.

On the petrol cars I've owned, the difference was much more noticeable, albeit the oil never got as black.
note what you say & it is diesel. for my migs which were a 2.5 td & 2 ,2.2 dti,s i always did regular oil changes using gm 10/40 & they all stayed pretty clean so was not sure when this present car after a very short distance it went black looking.  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2020, 11:38:46 »

note what you say & it is diesel. for my migs which were a 2.5 td & 2 ,2.2 dti,s i always did regular oil changes using gm 10/40 & they all stayed pretty clean so was not sure when this present car after a very short distance it went black looking:y

It would do ,modern Diesels with DPF contaminate there oil very quickly
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2020, 11:56:44 »

note what you say & it is diesel. for my migs which were a 2.5 td & 2 ,2.2 dti,s i always did regular oil changes using gm 10/40 & they all stayed pretty clean so was not sure when this present car after a very short distance it went black looking:y

It would do ,modern Diesels with DPF contaminate there oil very quickly

DPF has no impact on the contamination IF the correct (DPF compatible oil) is used and it does not get ruined by failed re-gens, in fact, it should last longer as the modern engines have better combustion and hence less soot  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2020, 12:29:33 »

DPF has no impact on the contamination IF the correct (DPF compatible oil) is used and it does not get ruined by failed re-gens, in fact, it should last longer as the modern engines have better combustion and hence less soot  :y

A friend of mine is looking at an XE with the Ingenium(sp?) 180 diesel lump. She's seen in the press that they got some stick for diesel contamination in the engine oil due to failed DPF regens, do you happen to know how wide spread this is or if there's been any update to the car/software to address the issue?

My take on it was that as 50% of her journeys (and about 90% of total miles driven) are 85mile each way motorway trips, the car ought to be able to regen as much/often as it wants to.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2020, 12:42:00 »

A friend of mine is looking at an XE with the Ingenium(sp?) 180 diesel lump. She's seen in the press that they got some stick for diesel contamination in the engine oil due to failed DPF regens, do you happen to know how wide spread this is or if there's been any update to the car/software to address the issue?

My take on it was that as 50% of her journeys (and about 90% of total miles driven) are 85mile each way motorway trips, the car ought to be able to regen as much/often as it wants to.
I make sure my astra never has a failed regen. The oil is still as black as a very black thing.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2020, 15:46:58 »

I think diesel cars are wonderful. :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2020, 16:03:07 »

I think diesel cars are wonderful. :y
check your temperature  :o
have you got a fever ?
delirious  ;D 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2020, 16:08:10 »

Mild dose of Bat Flu...

Self isolate for a wee...

Oh, wait a minute  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2020, 17:34:26 »

I've seen the light. :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2020, 18:25:57 »

Don't walk towards it  :-X

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2020, 18:28:55 »

"Carol Anne - listen to me. Do NOT go into the light. Stop where you are. Turn away from it. Don't even look at it."
Poltergeist 1982

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2020, 09:07:34 »

Another oppsing long oppsing detailed description, and the useless oppsing wifi in this oppsing place lost it.

Briefly, ignore the cancer of facebook or lazy "professional" jounralists. Its only the D8 platform that appear to be impacted, due to the fact the D8's packaging means passive regens are not possible, so relies on more active regens. Interrupt an active regen, you get contamination.

Not sure if XE is D8, I think its related, but might not suffer the packaging problem, that may only exist on the Tonka Toys.

But journos are inherently lazy, so will say all 2.0d JLR engines, because they don't understand how shit works.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.