Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: new headlamps needed!  (Read 4093 times)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
new headlamps needed!
« on: 29 January 2013, 15:22:35 »

Hi
Just had the dreaded MOT and both the mig and the esti failed on front headlamps ! Bloody plastic lenses eh? Ive sourced some for the estima but am having trouble getting them for the mig. Admitedly Im still waiting for Steve to call me back from Omegaspareparts but can anyone suggest anywhere else to look? Ive trawled through ebay but cant find any to fit. Its a 1999 2.5v6 saloon cdx and they are all clear lenses.
                                                                                                                                                                        cheers guys/girls :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
Re: new headlamps needed!
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2013, 18:00:42 »

MFL or Facelift?  Xenon or Halogen bulbs?  Where abouts are you?
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2013, 18:12:40 »

I got a brand new N/S Halogen facelift unit here.
Keith B

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2013, 18:19:44 »

OP says 1999 cdx but no further details but 90% mfl, but xenons or HIDS ? IF not hids then i think i have a pair of legal, ish here.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2013, 18:25:25 »

I have prefacelift halogen headlights and facelift xenon units here, if needed...

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2013, 18:31:51 »

sorry my last post should read halogens or HIDS. ::)
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2013, 19:37:41 »

thanks guys-the lamps are non HID, Ive got Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs in them at the momment which are xenon I believe. Had nightbreakers before but the plastic lenses are so marked now that they distort the beam and I need front fogs on sometimes to compensate. Im told that I need to replace both whole lamps as cant just replace the lenses.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2013, 19:39:40 »

BTW Im in winterton and work in Norwich so not far from you Twiglet :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2013, 19:50:55 »

really should learn to read properly before I post ( :-[). Forgot to say, its an s-reg so mini-facelift saloon.

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2013, 19:58:25 »

If you cant source m/fl units, facelift ones will fit with very slight modification.I can provide details if you need them.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2013, 20:30:12 »

cheers Albitz, may well have to look at that option so may PM you about it later. TBH the quotes I got for both cars MOTs was quite scary and whilst Im sure I can source the parts needed for both considerably cheaper than the 'factors are quoting my garage I fear we may have to "lose" one of them. Theyre both old cars now but Im loathe to do so because I need one to get to work and the other is classed as "disabled" so my wife can use it for our lad. Age old problem with old cars though isnt it, you know you'll get jack for them if you sell or scrap and you cant really afford the £350+ each to keep them on the road but at least you know what youve got whereas you buy a cheap replacement and you could end up worse off! Trouble is Im a bloke and Im quite attached to both whereas SWMBO isnt quite so "sentimental" ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2013, 21:09:11 »

Got a pair of xenons here  £40 pair.
Hoof'land storeman.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2013, 21:23:35 »

Got a pair of xenons here  £40 pair.
Cheers Biggriffin! If youre sure they'll definately fit , Im definately interested! Unfortunately its that time when Ive got to get our lad to bed now but can you PM me with details and Ill reply tommorrow? Very many thanks to you and to everyone else who responded for your kind help :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2013, 21:41:04 »

Am guessing from your post that you have std lights,and want to upgrade to xenons.
Hoof'land storeman.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2013, 09:28:59 »

At the momment Ive got Halford Extreme bulbs in (which I believe are Xenon). My problem is the headlamp units themselves which, because of the plastic lenses in them , have degraded to the extent that they have failed the MOT so Im in dire need of replacement headlamp units that will get her through.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2013, 09:36:19 »

If you buy second hand make sure the adjusters are intact as it's a common fault for them to break which could result in an MOT fail ;)
Retired

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2013, 10:48:19 »

If you buy second hand make sure the adjusters are intact as it's a common fault for them to break which could result in an MOT fail ;)

cheers Pete, Ive only just got off the phone to Steve from omega-spare-parts and he was saying the same and that if they get in any minifacelift ones they now do collection only as too many with the delicate adjusters end up broken if sent by post/courier no matter how well they pack them. Knowing how the staff at most carrier companies view the words "fragile" I guess that isnt surprising. He'll keep a look out for me but he did say (as Albitz said) that the next generation facelift ones were more easily found, sturdier to post and would actually fit albeit with a bit of trimming needed on the "eyebrow". So maybe thats the route I'll have to go down so if anyone can help out? Oh, and if you could show us the adjustments I need to make to fit the facelift variant Albitz Id be very grateful. Thanks guys :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2013, 10:52:26 »

just seen the ad on here for the aluminium adjusters  :-[ so maybe I wont write off the idea of having the correct minifacelift units posted afterall!

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2013, 11:30:32 »

Jerry, there's a scrapyard near me (just south of Norwich) that has a couple of Omega's in.  Might be worth giving them a try, and I'll happily help you fit them if needed.

Also, it isn't a difficult job to polish plastic headlights back up to good condition.  This will certainly be your cheepest option.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2013, 11:42:18 »

Jerry, there's a scrapyard near me (just south of Norwich) that has a couple of Omega's in.  Might be worth giving them a try, and I'll happily help you fit them if needed.

Also, it isn't a difficult job to polish plastic headlights back up to good condition.  This will certainly be your cheepest option.  :y
cheers Twiglet! Ive found some on line from AGAutos for £45 each but am unsure about posting issue still. And, of course, money is an issue so if I can save any anywhere I need to! Could you let us know which scrappy it is so I can give them a call? Im also unsure about the polishing bit. Ive heard this before with plastic lenses when I had the old prelude but am unsure of best things to use so any advice there mate would be welcome too. The lenses have lost their "sheen" if you know what I mean, rather than them being really scratched up as such, but this opaqueness certainly effects their performance.

albitz

« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2013, 12:03:19 »

£45 each is outrageous imo. Didnt Twiglet say he had a pair he would sell you ,or did I read it wrong ?  :-\

albitz

« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2013, 12:14:08 »

I did read it wrong. ::)
The HID,s (xenons) might be your best option imo,but only if you have headlight washers. Otherwise,I have a pair of projector headlights (non xenon) here which may be of interest.

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2013, 12:42:10 »

cheers Twiglet! Ive found some on line from AGAutos for £45 each but am unsure about posting issue still. And, of course, money is an issue so if I can save any anywhere I need to! Could you let us know which scrappy it is so I can give them a call? Im also unsure about the polishing bit. Ive heard this before with plastic lenses when I had the old prelude but am unsure of best things to use so any advice there mate would be welcome too. The lenses have lost their "sheen" if you know what I mean, rather than them being really scratched up as such, but this opaqueness certainly effects their performance.

Good guide on this forum for refurb'ing your existing lenses...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90643.0

The scrappy is here...

http://dysalvage.com/

Hope that helps mate.  :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2013, 12:45:54 »

Hi Albitz,
If they'll fit Im interested! TBH this polishing option that Twiglet suggested might be worth looking at first though -well, the youtube example looked like something even I could manage at any rate ;D. Seriously though, Ive got a lot of sorting out to do with both cars and if the polishing route looks like a no-go then I'm definately interested if youve got any units that'll fit and get me past the MOT :y Like I said, any cost savings I can get I need and the £45 each I found was for "new" supposedly as opposed to the £30+ ones I looked at on ebay earlier which were second hand (but which stated not suitable for my car reg). As a laugh I checked the price for new with a VX dealership but I think they mustve been quoting me for the diamond encrusted ones with genuine gold trim....

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 January 2013, 12:52:21 »

Good guide on this forum for refurb'ing your existing lenses...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90643.0

The scrappy is here...

http://dysalvage.com/

Hope that helps mate.  :y

Many thanks for this Twiglet :y

albitz

« Reply #25 on: 30 January 2013, 13:02:42 »

Have a go at polishing them up Jerry.If it isnt succesful give me a shout and if you want the ones I have we can sort out meeting up at a halfway point.Might even be able to modify your headlight trims and fit them on the spot,if time and weather is kind. :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 January 2013, 13:05:40 »

Have a go at polishing them up Jerry.If it isnt succesful give me a shout and if you want the ones I have we can sort out meeting up at a halfway point.Might even be able to modify your headlight trims and fit them on the spot,if time and weather is kind. :y

Bollix to that! Get your arse up to Norwich, and help me with the bloody garage!  ;D

albitz

« Reply #27 on: 30 January 2013, 13:08:45 »

Rates of pay good ?  :D ;D ;D.............radio doesnt work in Naarich.Its a scary place tbh. ;D

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 January 2013, 13:10:46 »

Rates of pay good ?  :D ;D ;D.............radio doesnt work in Naarich.Its a scary place tbh. ;D

Very!  Especially if you're happy to be paid with cups of tea, bacon sardies, and Omega parts!  ;D

albitz

« Reply #29 on: 30 January 2013, 13:12:55 »

Ineed Omega parts like an eskimo needs ice. :D............come the better weather,I might just take a trip up to help take the piss. ;D

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 January 2013, 13:14:47 »

Ineed Omega parts like an eskimo needs ice. :D............come the better weather,I might just take a trip up to help take the piss. ;D

Sounds about right!  >:(

Oh, and Jerry, sorry if myself and the Irish Oik have hi-jacked your thread mate.  :-[

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 January 2013, 14:31:42 »

no worries Twiglet ;D. Just grateful for the help and advice!Ive just checked out the 3M and Twax headlamp restoration kits on Amazon and certainly look worth a go before I go down the unit replacement route. The estima has similar problem with its plastic lenses but theyve got condensation in them as well so guess that might be a remove bulbs and get the hairdryer on them job. If I dont have any luck I'll be sure to come back to you all so hang on to those units for a while longer if you can please Albitz as I may well take up your kind offer yet!Cheers guys :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 January 2013, 16:37:50 »

Am assuming you have a saloon and an estate,why not juzt swop the lights over for the mot
 job done.
 ive used autosol metal polish to do lenses,
Hoof'land storeman.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 January 2013, 17:26:32 »

Am assuming you have a saloon and an estate,why not juzt swop the lights over for the mot
 job done.
 ive used autosol metal polish to do lenses,
sadly not mate, Ive got the omega saloon and the better half a Toyota import estima emina. Just that both MOTs are about the same time and though there are other bits to sort out, this year they both failed on the headlights :(

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 January 2013, 19:10:21 »

My mate who has an MOT station told me about a tin of spray he gets in sometimes. Flat the lens,s with the p2000 grade and then spray it with this can of stuff. 5 year guarentee on it. He did it first time on an XC90 Volvo, £790 per headlamp unit against £20 for this can of spray plus his labour. Will give SWMBO Hyundai a go with it and will report back.
Keith B

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 January 2013, 08:58:45 »

My mate who has an MOT station told me about a tin of spray he gets in sometimes. Flat the lens,s with the p2000 grade and then spray it with this can of stuff. 5 year guarentee on it. He did it first time on an XC90 Volvo, £790 per headlamp unit against £20 for this can of spray plus his labour. Will give SWMBO Hyundai a go with it and will report back.
Keith B
the kits arrived this morning so will give them a go as weather seems ok but reviews did point out that they only supply one wipe for the last stage which "seals" your work and that (whilst the company have sent these customers more on request F.O.C) the problem is that oxidisation could occur reasonably quickly afterwards so if you can get the name of the spray Keith I'll check it out if it prolongs the life of the work done :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 January 2013, 15:33:55 »

just done the mig's lamps with the turtlewax kit . Had to go back and do them twice before I did the final sealing stage but the difference is certainly very noticeable and no doubt will notice it more tonight when Ill check out performance on local country roads. Once Ive got rid of the condensation in them I'll do the estima tommorrow and hope for similar improvement. I know the proof will only come when they retest them but £14.49 v £100+ (£303 in the esti's case!!)? No brainer really  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.