Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new headlamps needed!  (Read 4097 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: new headlamps needed!
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2013, 09:36:19 »

If you buy second hand make sure the adjusters are intact as it's a common fault for them to break which could result in an MOT fail ;)
Retired

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2013, 10:48:19 »

If you buy second hand make sure the adjusters are intact as it's a common fault for them to break which could result in an MOT fail ;)

cheers Pete, Ive only just got off the phone to Steve from omega-spare-parts and he was saying the same and that if they get in any minifacelift ones they now do collection only as too many with the delicate adjusters end up broken if sent by post/courier no matter how well they pack them. Knowing how the staff at most carrier companies view the words "fragile" I guess that isnt surprising. He'll keep a look out for me but he did say (as Albitz said) that the next generation facelift ones were more easily found, sturdier to post and would actually fit albeit with a bit of trimming needed on the "eyebrow". So maybe thats the route I'll have to go down so if anyone can help out? Oh, and if you could show us the adjustments I need to make to fit the facelift variant Albitz Id be very grateful. Thanks guys :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2013, 10:52:26 »

just seen the ad on here for the aluminium adjusters  :-[ so maybe I wont write off the idea of having the correct minifacelift units posted afterall!

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2013, 11:30:32 »

Jerry, there's a scrapyard near me (just south of Norwich) that has a couple of Omega's in.  Might be worth giving them a try, and I'll happily help you fit them if needed.

Also, it isn't a difficult job to polish plastic headlights back up to good condition.  This will certainly be your cheepest option.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2013, 11:42:18 »

Jerry, there's a scrapyard near me (just south of Norwich) that has a couple of Omega's in.  Might be worth giving them a try, and I'll happily help you fit them if needed.

Also, it isn't a difficult job to polish plastic headlights back up to good condition.  This will certainly be your cheepest option.  :y
cheers Twiglet! Ive found some on line from AGAutos for £45 each but am unsure about posting issue still. And, of course, money is an issue so if I can save any anywhere I need to! Could you let us know which scrappy it is so I can give them a call? Im also unsure about the polishing bit. Ive heard this before with plastic lenses when I had the old prelude but am unsure of best things to use so any advice there mate would be welcome too. The lenses have lost their "sheen" if you know what I mean, rather than them being really scratched up as such, but this opaqueness certainly effects their performance.

albitz

« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2013, 12:03:19 »

£45 each is outrageous imo. Didnt Twiglet say he had a pair he would sell you ,or did I read it wrong ?  :-\

albitz

« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2013, 12:14:08 »

I did read it wrong. ::)
The HID,s (xenons) might be your best option imo,but only if you have headlight washers. Otherwise,I have a pair of projector headlights (non xenon) here which may be of interest.

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2013, 12:42:10 »

cheers Twiglet! Ive found some on line from AGAutos for £45 each but am unsure about posting issue still. And, of course, money is an issue so if I can save any anywhere I need to! Could you let us know which scrappy it is so I can give them a call? Im also unsure about the polishing bit. Ive heard this before with plastic lenses when I had the old prelude but am unsure of best things to use so any advice there mate would be welcome too. The lenses have lost their "sheen" if you know what I mean, rather than them being really scratched up as such, but this opaqueness certainly effects their performance.

Good guide on this forum for refurb'ing your existing lenses...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90643.0

The scrappy is here...

http://dysalvage.com/

Hope that helps mate.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2013, 12:45:54 »

Hi Albitz,
If they'll fit Im interested! TBH this polishing option that Twiglet suggested might be worth looking at first though -well, the youtube example looked like something even I could manage at any rate ;D. Seriously though, Ive got a lot of sorting out to do with both cars and if the polishing route looks like a no-go then I'm definately interested if youve got any units that'll fit and get me past the MOT :y Like I said, any cost savings I can get I need and the £45 each I found was for "new" supposedly as opposed to the £30+ ones I looked at on ebay earlier which were second hand (but which stated not suitable for my car reg). As a laugh I checked the price for new with a VX dealership but I think they mustve been quoting me for the diamond encrusted ones with genuine gold trim....

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 January 2013, 12:52:21 »

Good guide on this forum for refurb'ing your existing lenses...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90643.0

The scrappy is here...

http://dysalvage.com/

Hope that helps mate.  :y

Many thanks for this Twiglet :y

albitz

« Reply #25 on: 30 January 2013, 13:02:42 »

Have a go at polishing them up Jerry.If it isnt succesful give me a shout and if you want the ones I have we can sort out meeting up at a halfway point.Might even be able to modify your headlight trims and fit them on the spot,if time and weather is kind. :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 January 2013, 13:05:40 »

Have a go at polishing them up Jerry.If it isnt succesful give me a shout and if you want the ones I have we can sort out meeting up at a halfway point.Might even be able to modify your headlight trims and fit them on the spot,if time and weather is kind. :y

Bollix to that! Get your arse up to Norwich, and help me with the bloody garage!  ;D

albitz

« Reply #27 on: 30 January 2013, 13:08:45 »

Rates of pay good ?  :D ;D ;D.............radio doesnt work in Naarich.Its a scary place tbh. ;D

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 January 2013, 13:10:46 »

Rates of pay good ?  :D ;D ;D.............radio doesnt work in Naarich.Its a scary place tbh. ;D

Very!  Especially if you're happy to be paid with cups of tea, bacon sardies, and Omega parts!  ;D

albitz

« Reply #29 on: 30 January 2013, 13:12:55 »

Ineed Omega parts like an eskimo needs ice. :D............come the better weather,I might just take a trip up to help take the piss. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.