Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing Nitrogen & Air  (Read 2369 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Mixing Nitrogen & Air
« on: 02 June 2009, 22:21:55 »

As far as i know, WIM use Nitrogen in tyres. (i know mother tunnies facelift had her tyres done with it) 

I also know its more stable at higher temps unlike air which expands, however is there any issues in mixing them?

Obviously over time i will need to pump the tyres up, and i don't have access to nitrogen, so air will be used.

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing Nitrogen & Air
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2009, 22:34:53 »

nitrogen in tyres instead of air the only benifits of this are better control over pressure normally used only in race cars thats is f1 and nascar cos its lighter than air not really any benifit for road use. as for mixing air and nitrogen the only down side to it is after pumpin your tyres up over 2 weeks the nitrogen will be gone
A little infomation is dangerous in the wrong hands

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2009, 22:35:25 »

I was happily using that until one man on the tv remind 78% of air is already nitrogene so its just a waste of money :-/

« Last Edit: 02 June 2009, 22:36:00 by cem_devecioglu »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2009, 22:35:42 »

AFAIK it is perfectly OK to mix the 2 .. lets face it .. air is just a mix of nitrogen and other gasses anyway !!! On the aircraft we were allowed to use compressed air in an emegency if nitrogen was not available.

I would always try and do my tyres on a "dry" day as the water vapour present in air is the main offender in any problems. A friend of mine (who lives too far away unfortunately) who is an amateur racer has installed his own compressor with a dryer to ensure he gets the most stable results

HTH

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2009, 22:47:31 »

I use 100% Helium in my tyre's, as you all know Helium is lighter than air, therefore it lifts the Car above gravity kerb weight, higher ground kerb weight against gravity of normal air mass weight means your Car is lighter, giving an improved power to weight ratio, improved power to weight ratio equals an increase in BHP, which means my Migg'y goes faster and its also good to breath in Helium its so much fun and to the funny farm, their coming to take me away. Ha Ha, He He  :D

panderson

• Ayrshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2009, 13:06:55 »

I happened to receive my regular flyer from Costco yesterday and noticed that their tyre fitting centres use nitrogen
http://www.costco.co.uk/Depts&Servs_main/Depts_servs/Tyre/tyre_centre.htm

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2009, 13:10:03 »

Here are some comments about that subject from a car forum (not me)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they may have been inhaling something other than helium ( ;D) ...maybe you are thinking of nitrogen, that is used in some aviation applications (it doesn't leak out as easily as air and is more stable). But it's generally not worth the hassle for automobiles.

As far as improving gas mileage, 30 psi in the tires is 30 psi regardless of the gas used to inflate it so there's no advantage there.

As for helium's lifting power, that only happens if the helium is uncompressed and allowed to expand so that it is less dense than the air that surrounds it. When you pump it into a tire to 30 psi it is under heavy compression and likely heavier than air (that's why compressed cylinders of helium don't float off the ground).

« Last Edit: 04 June 2009, 13:10:35 by cem_devecioglu »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2009, 14:23:35 »

I reckon helium will leak out of a car tyre faster then you can pump it up.

Same as when you were a kid with a helium balloon. Was it ever anything other than a limp shadow if its' former self floating 3" off the deck the morning after? The molecules are a little small to be cntained by rubber alone.

Kevin

EDIT: It's also very sensitive to temperature so pressure will vary a lot with climate and driving conditions. Not what you want at all.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2009, 14:24:29 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2009, 16:33:54 »

I use 100% Helium in my tyre's, as you all know Helium is lighter than air, therefore it lifts the Car above gravity kerb weight, higher ground kerb weight against gravity of normal air mass weight means your Car is lighter, giving an improved power to weight ratio, improved power to weight ratio equals an increase in BHP, which means my Migg'y goes faster and its also good to breath in Helium its so much fun and to the funny farm, their coming to take me away. Ha Ha, He He  :D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

.......and I have that record in my collection.....play it every so often......amazing how different the world can seem afterwards! :D :D ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2009, 16:37:39 »

I happened to receive my regular flyer from Costco yesterday and noticed that their tyre fitting centres use nitrogen
http://www.costco.co.uk/Depts&Servs_main/Depts_servs/Tyre/tyre_centre.htm

.... and unless you tell them otherwise fit a horrible looking GREEN valve cap! It's a little thing I know, but I don't like them.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.