Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: going to see an omega  (Read 3399 times)

mcd840

• Alloa
    • vectra cdx
    • View Profile
going to see an omega
« on: 05 November 2016, 08:40:24 »

Hi all, joined this forum a couple of years ago as i found you all very helpful in relation to any issues i had with my vectra cdx, sold that and bought a rover 75 and sold it a few months back as i wasnt to fussy on it...now looking for something cheap and comfy as i have a works van so fuel costs not an issue, i come across a 03 2.5 v6 omega auto woth 60000 on it, just wondered if theres anything specific to look out for ? do these auto boxes suffer from this excellent vauxhall design feature which allows coolant into the box ? i do need to ask this because as much as i want an auto i have walked away from an astra elite and a vectra elite autos because of all the negative reviews i have read.

thanks

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: going to see an omega
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2016, 09:38:50 »

Cam belt history, every 40k, would budget for full service, wishbones, and at 60k a cam belt, be over on age not mileage, also a coolent   change.
If doing this all your self £250ish in parts.

Coole t in gearboxes is a fwd problem.
Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2016, 09:44:38 »

Will try writing again.

At 60k the cam belt isn't over due on miles, it will be over on age, 4years old,I would suspect the coolent is needing a change, and possibility of needing can cover gaskets.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2016, 10:13:14 »

As said, any used Omega will benefit from some refreshing of the front suspension and a cam belt.

Any 13 year old car with only 60k miles is going to need a thorough examination for rust and other damp related issues, and changing all of the fluids would be a good idea. My experience of this sort of thing is that putting such a car into use quickly requires expenditure on brakes, tyres, bushes and electrical components that have been affected by lack of use.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2016, 10:49:07 »

If its on a 03 plate, it will be a 2.6  ;)

Some of the early 2.6's suffered with valve stem failure.
Look for blue smoke on start up  :y

Gearboxes are pretty much bomb proof imo.
If the car is 13 years old, i'd change all fluids and filters inc the gearbox one.
The gearbox is easy enough if you can get it up on 4 ramps / tall stands but messy.
Cam belt / tensioner should be changed due to its age. These are very temperamental to cam timing and unless you have the FULL lock off kit, its impossible to do properly regardless of what any garage will tell you  ;)
They are lads on here who can do that job for you properly for appropriate exchange of sheckles or if the buy the bits yourself, the forum has a DVD which is spot on for any level of mechanic  :y

Other then that, just make sure most or everything is working and listen for any taps or rattles that don't sound too healthy  ;)

But the main thing is ............... don't be afraid to walk away if it doesn't feel right  ;)

Good luck  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2016, 10:53:07 »

Never heard of the coolant issue affecting the gearbox on these. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2016, 11:12:13 »

Surely that's because they have a separate oil cooler and fan for the gearbox, Mr. Shackeng and not that silly pipe in the main radiator?

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2016, 11:26:28 »

Surely that's because they have a separate oil cooler and fan for the gearbox, Mr. Shackeng and not that silly pipe in the main radiator?

Ron.
Not all do, that only came with later cars.

However, even those that had the ATF cooler in the rad do not suffer from coolant in ATF.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2016, 11:43:15 »

I suppose cross contamination due to internal rad failure is possible, but I haven't heard of it occurring on OOF, which is the fount of all Omega wisdom. ::) :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2016, 12:17:12 »

The coolent issue the op is referring to was an issue with vectra/sigmunds.

My 3.2 has the in built rad cooler, not the extension type.
Hoof'land storeman.

mcd840

• Alloa
    • vectra cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2016, 16:47:36 »

thanks for all your replys. still havent been to see the car yet, trying to get info from the seller is like getting blood from a stone. i have only asked about ten times whether it is a cdx or an elite ?!...still waiting and his gumtree ad is extremly poor.

time will tell.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2016, 18:12:00 »

thanks for all your replys. still havent been to see the car yet, trying to get info from the seller is like getting blood from a stone. i have only asked about ten times whether it is a cdx or an elite ?!...still waiting and his gumtree ad is extremly poor.

time will tell.
Agreed that ad is a joke.. if it is the 65 000 one.

powerslinky

« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2016, 18:18:40 »

time will tell.

Some sellers are a law unto themselves  . . ::)  will have a look for the Ad ::)
There will be other omegas  . . .  CDX's  are a good buy IMO . . . . .everyone is looking for the 3.2 Elites/MV6's and they are getting harder to find.   CDX's however , although only the V6 2.6 are available for almost peanuts .    Gone that route myself now , got a decent 2.6 CDX estate with leather for £300 ;)
No Bose of course , no rear blind or Air suspension  (which I'm not keen on myself} but spec is not that much behind the Elite. Am putting a set of late Elite/MV6 Alloys on mine, so externally it looks much the same  ;) ;)

oh dear, just seen ad . . . IF it is the 65K miles 2.5 saloon

Pretty poor  IMO . . .1 photo . . .very small at that ::)

Asking price well too steep IMO . . . but there again I never pay much for my Omegas  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 05 November 2016, 18:30:46 by Essex Big Al »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2016, 18:41:55 »

Agreed re Cdx... Seats can be replaced with Elite ones front and rear, and as you say, externally, add wheels and a boot spoiler and you're pretty much there... 8)

As far as buying a car goes,  buy the one with the least rust/body damage as possible and budget £1,500 in the first year to get it mechanically right ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

mcd840

• Alloa
    • vectra cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2016, 23:02:54 »

Yes you have seen the correct advert...he got back to me to confirm it was cdx. Just need to wait untill hes back home. Need to see if it is indeed immaculate or a pile of shite...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.