Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Before I buy Help  (Read 6710 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Before I buy Help
« on: 15 November 2016, 18:52:14 »

Hi Guys/Gulls

I have just joined as am very keen to purchase a 24 v6 CD Omega Auto, it's relatively low miles, looks in good nick, verified miles and MOT, which is out to April 17.

I am looking for some pointers as for things to check apart from the obvious things. Do you have a guide on here I can go through? I'm an ex mechanic and run several other cars including have an old 3.0 senator and a few cavys too so got the mechanical know how, and "the feel" of the vauxhall way of making things! Omegas I've no experience with but I'm sure they are just senators with a lot more electrical gubbins and a v6 instead of ------ 6 :)

Hopefully I get it and can get a bit more active in here.

Ta for now

G

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Before I buy Help
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2016, 19:08:02 »

Given the age, its fair to say it'll need some mechanical work.  Which sounds like you're more than capable of :y

Thus I'd be look for corrosion issues mainly, knowing that front suspension will need some work due to age...
Grumpy old man

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2016, 19:15:43 »

Given the age, its fair to say it'll need some mechanical work.  Which sounds like you're more than capable of :y

Thus I'd be look for corrosion issues mainly, knowing that front suspension will need some work due to age...

I'll be sure to take my torch and maybe a sneaky screwdriver for prodding lol! What's the usual places, more or less same as senator i.e. everywhere! ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2016, 19:20:25 »

rear wheel arches, rear doors where they meet rear arches, front chassis legs
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2016, 19:27:36 »

and concealed under the plastic sill covers.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2016, 20:17:25 »

Ok, will be taking my fine tooth comb too then  ;)

What about leccy stuff, anything I should watch for apart from obvious?

thanks guys

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2016, 20:46:45 »

Check that the ABS and airbag indicator lamps illuminate (and then go out again) when the ignition is switched on. Check that the speedo works.

The ABS ecu has some tiny silver wires inside that can fracture and cause intermittent loss of speedo, ABS, servotronic power steering and traction control. (the last 2 weren't fitted to the CD models AFAIK).

If someone turns the ignition on with an airbag or sensor disconnected it will bring up a fault which can be cleared with Tech2 but often results in the bulb being removed instead.......
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2016, 22:08:43 »

Check that the ABS and airbag indicator lamps illuminate (and then go out again) when the ignition is switched on. Check that the speedo works.

The ABS ecu has some tiny silver wires inside that can fracture and cause intermittent loss of speedo, ABS, servotronic power steering and traction control. (the last 2 weren't fitted to the CD models AFAIK).

If someone turns the ignition on with an airbag or sensor disconnected it will bring up a fault which can be cleared with Tech2 but often results in the bulb being removed instead.......

Thanks

G

Great info Andy, will check that too. I'm also reading the various forums for common problems.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2016, 07:15:35 »

Could this low mileage example, be the same one another member from Scotland saw on gumtree, and walked away.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2016, 18:00:40 »

The ABS ecu has some tiny silver wires inside that can fracture and cause intermittent loss of speedo, ABS, servotronic power steering and traction control. (the last 2 weren't fitted to the four cylinder models AFAIK).

Fixed for accuracy ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2016, 18:29:58 »

Could this low mileage example, be the same one another member from Scotland saw on gumtree, and walked away.

I don't know, do you a link or description?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2016, 19:07:56 »

Hoof'land storeman.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2016, 19:19:47 »

So at lunch from work I went over and seen it. I never told the guy I was coming so he wouldn't preheat it. I know some people do this in case the engine is clanky when cold or struggle to start.

Got the key sat in it and looked at the dash. Obviously not very familiar with dash and display but I seen the abs lights and some other lights, then I started it, no worrying sounds or anything like that and lights went out. Popped the hood and had a look around, looked quite clean under bonnet, coolant looks fine and right on the level indicator, then after a wee bit more looking I came up with some things 1) Little vac pipe that goes into the 3 way valve for the brake servo, was hissing a wee bit, and had some tape round it. 2) Broken top headlight securing clip on O/S, 3) Little bit of corrosion starting on O/S inner wing where it meets chassis leg.

So after that I went back in and had a bit of a play about with the stuff on the dash, after a while I decided I don't know what I was doing so, instead of romanticising, decided to go and check the arches, under the sills and in the boot.

From what I could feel/see there didn't seem to be anything sinister hidden, wee tiny bit of bubbling starting on back door lip where it meets the arch on N/S, maybe a wee bit of flaking paint starting at the back of sills as is common with more or less all Vauxhalls I've had.

Then I went to the boot with key in hand and stood there saying ok where is key hole lol. Figured must be a release in car, and there is a big square button side of radio panel but no workie, the guy said use the key fob thing and that will get it. So in the boot and not much to see, very clean, looked unused and spare looked the original as well.

Back discs look well worn out as well. Plus there is no service history. Interior is immaculate and the overall condition of it reflects the relatively low mileage.

Never got chance to check speedo, going to go over tomorrow and have a better look with a torch in engine bay plus going to ask if he can let me take a ride round the block on Friday or something when I get out of work early.

« Last Edit: 16 November 2016, 19:23:04 by grifter »

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2016, 19:30:43 »

Try here http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=137788.0

100% that is not the same one. The logbook says last owner from 2005 to 2015 was in Campbeltown, which is closer to Ireland then here in Central Belt.

I have the chance to try and contact the owner maybe find out anything more about it's history.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2016, 23:53:50 »

So at lunch from work I went over and seen it. I never told the guy I was coming so he wouldn't preheat it. I know some people do this in case the engine is clanky when cold or struggle to start.

Got the key sat in it and looked at the dash. Obviously not very familiar with dash and display but I seen the abs lights and some other lights, then I started it, no worrying sounds or anything like that and lights went out. Popped the hood and had a look around, looked quite clean under bonnet, coolant looks fine and right on the level indicator, then after a wee bit more looking I came up with some things 1) Little vac pipe that goes into the 3 way valve for the brake servo, was hissing a wee bit, and had some tape round it. 2) Broken top headlight securing clip on O/S, 3) Little bit of corrosion starting on O/S inner wing where it meets chassis leg.

So after that I went back in and had a bit of a play about with the stuff on the dash, after a while I decided I don't know what I was doing so, instead of romanticising, decided to go and check the arches, under the sills and in the boot.

From what I could feel/see there didn't seem to be anything sinister hidden, wee tiny bit of bubbling starting on back door lip where it meets the arch on N/S, maybe a wee bit of flaking paint starting at the back of sills as is common with more or less all Vauxhalls I've had.

Then I went to the boot with key in hand and stood there saying ok where is key hole lol. Figured must be a release in car, and there is a big square button side of radio panel but no workie, the guy said use the key fob thing and that will get it. So in the boot and not much to see, very clean, looked unused and spare looked the original as well.

Back discs look well worn out as well. Plus there is no service history. Interior is immaculate and the overall condition of it reflects the relatively low mileage.

Never got chance to check speedo, going to go over tomorrow and have a better look with a torch in engine bay plus going to ask if he can let me take a ride round the block on Friday or something when I get out of work early.

Try holding button down for about 5 seconds, it,s caught a few people out, including me. ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.