Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CamShaft Sensor  (Read 2139 times)

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
CamShaft Sensor
« on: 24 May 2007, 21:58:31 »

Well heres another update on my problems.

Ive purchased a new cam sensor and fitted however due to the wiring being different y brother managed to get me another from a car in the breakers yard that was running fine (rear end shunt).

Ive fitted this one along with the throttle valve sensor from the same car, however the car is still running in limp mode and keeping the eml on all the time. Ive done another paperclip test and the same faults are still showing up

0120 & 0340

Does the eml have to be cleared once the new parts are fitted or should the light go out automatically??

Ive also purchased a new crank sensor however I have no idea where this is fitted and the haynes manual is as useful as a chocolate fireguard, any help appreciated on where this is fitted!

Im begining to think this problem goes deeper than I hoped it was and its time to get an electrician in.

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
Re: CamShaft Sensor
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2007, 22:06:59 »

Well heres another update on my problems.

Ive purchased a new cam sensor and fitted however due to the wiring being different y brother managed to get me another from a car in the breakers yard that was running fine (rear end shunt).

Ive fitted this one along with the throttle valve sensor from the same car, however the car is still running in limp mode and keeping the eml on all the time. Ive done another paperclip test and the same faults are still showing up

0120 & 0340

Does the eml have to be cleared once the new parts are fitted or should the light go out automatically??

Ive also purchased a new crank sensor however I have no idea where this is fitted and the haynes manual is as useful as a chocolate fireguard, any help appreciated on where this is fitted!

Im begining to think this problem goes deeper than I hoped it was and its time to get an electrician in.
To clear the codes simply turn on and off the ignition 30 times with a 5 second 'on' gap in-between (time allowed for self check to finish). :y :y

geoff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2007, 22:09:47 »

check out this website for codes and procedures  http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm  ;) :y
« Last Edit: 24 May 2007, 22:15:11 by geoff »

curly

• romford,essex,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2007, 22:13:23 »

hi mate,as the 2 codes are stored it means they are present and a malfuntion as occured,when you fit the required new parts these have to be cleared to reset the ecu which is done with ignition on and tech 2 or scanner machine,then the eml light goes out and should then run ok,i think at the moment if the the crank sensor not come up would leave it as bit fidly to do ok,cheers curly

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2007, 22:32:04 »

Well I went back out and tried the reset function by turning the ignition on with a five second on gap but dont appear to have worked  :'(

curly

• romford,essex,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2007, 22:42:41 »

really sounds like you need the vauxhall tech 2 or snap on scanner to run through the system mate,also make sure the battery is in good state of charge you must have 12.5volts or more for the system to clear,curly

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2007, 22:43:54 »

Well I went back out and tried the reset function by turning the ignition on with a five second on gap but dont appear to have worked  :'(
It has to start and run for a while between each attempt. Is the EML still coming on when running sometimes? If so, fault still there.
Grumpy old man

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2007, 22:47:09 »

I waited 5 seconds between each turn on / off, and yes the eml is on permanent. Yet the car starts first time and sounds great until you take it above 1500rpm and then it splutters and brings up autobox on the screen.

geoff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2007, 00:14:12 »

like curly said sounds like you need tech2, sometimes the old 30 times on/off with 5 sec wait on turn on before off doesn't work,mine did clear after engine run for a while on tick over ,hope you get it sorted,sensors can be a pain in the backside :yhave you looked at web site explains everthing for you i found it most useful and helpful,http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm
« Last Edit: 25 May 2007, 00:41:29 by geoff »

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2007, 07:55:50 »

If the Engine Management Light is still ON without the paperclip the fault is still present - i.e. it's not been fixed.

The fault code, read with the paperclip, will persist for a while then just "fade" out when the car's been running fine (with no fault) for a number of starts.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2007, 08:00:14 »

It looks like the fault isn't with the sensor, unless the replacement is faulty.

Don't take this the wrong way, but is it possible you changed the wrong sensor? Especially as the new sensor is different. Perhaps a knock sensor?

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2007, 08:11:25 »

Nope I def replaced the right sensor, and changed it again last night so I know its right.

Just been told by a mechanic that he thinks the timing is out by 2 teeth and thats why its causing it. I cant see that myself, cause the timing would not effect the sensors or would it??

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2007, 08:16:46 »

How can he tell that "the timing is out by two teeth"?
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

geoff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2007, 12:46:37 »

Nope I def replaced the right sensor, and changed it again last night so I know its right.

Just been told by a mechanic that he thinks the timing is out by 2 teeth and thats why its causing it. I cant see that myself, cause the timing would not effect the sensors or would it??
i would seriously think of getting it pluged in to diagnostics and resetting bofore blaming the timming

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2007, 12:54:10 »

Already have, hes coming tom morning and only charging £40 so hopefully will get to the bottom of it!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.