Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust Quote  (Read 7029 times)

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Quote
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2007, 12:31:25 »

haggle with the fitting price!

i'll say this much, kwik fit are ROBBIN gits

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2007, 12:38:58 »

Dean, when you ask is it? [expensive] that all depends.

How corroded are the bolts that secure the clamps?  If it looks nasty, I would happily pay the £25 to get it done.  Having just attempted to change an exhaust myself, I would advise getting them to fit it to be honest unless the nuts and bolts look EASY to undo.  You could always soak them with plus gas or similar and try and undo them yourself.  if they undo, then you can fit the new part easily.  If not, then pay the £25 to get it done.  With hindsight, this is what I should have done.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2007, 12:40:25 by x25xe »
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2007, 12:59:20 »

How corroded are the bolts that secure the clamps?  If it looks nasty, I would happily pay the £25 to get it done.  Having just attempted to change an exhaust myself, I would advise getting them to fit it to be honest unless the nuts and bolts look EASY to undo.  You could always soak them with plus gas or similar and try and undo them yourself.  if they undo, then you can fit the new part easily.  If not, then pay the £25 to get it done.  With hindsight, this is what I should have done.

If you are trying to separate the backbox from the centre pipes this could be very difficult so if the price is fixed at £25 it could be a bargain!  The problem is that both pipes go into the backbox together so you cant do the 'twist it around' bit without removing the centre pipes from the car, which means you need to unstick the 3 bolts on the centre pipe to cat boxes....  

As x25xe says, it all depends on what the bolts and connections are like.  My guess is that if the exhaust has gone rusty, so have the connections ... especially where the centre pipes slide into the backbox.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2007, 13:02:48 by cdx25 »

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2007, 13:20:38 »

Just to add to your worries here, if it is tough to seperate, the garage could be tempted to encourage it with 'lenny the lump hammer'.  Guess what that could do for the cats, manifold gaskets....
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2007, 13:44:27 »

If you are trying to separate the backbox from the centre pipes this could be very difficult so if the price is fixed at £25 it could be a bargain!  The problem is that both pipes go into the backbox together so you cant do the 'twist it around' bit without removing the centre pipes from the car, which means you need to unstick the 3 bolts on the centre pipe to cat boxes....  

As x25xe says, it all depends on what the bolts and connections are like.  My guess is that if the exhaust has gone rusty, so have the connections ... especially where the centre pipes slide into the backbox.
When put like that it sounds more reasonable, however if I couldn't do it myself I'd be gutted if I had to pay more than a tenner...
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 May 2007, 15:03:30 »

When put like that it sounds more reasonable, however if I couldn't do it myself I'd be gutted if I had to pay more than a tenner...

Know what you mean  ;) I hate paying for jobs I cant do myself!  I think its markjay who has a good strapline on that one...

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2007, 16:18:06 »

The exhaust has arrived today.... very quick!

not looked at it yet.. .will post some picslater.

The garage did not say £25 full stop... they said £25 if its reletively easy????

so could be a lot more.. It does look a little rusty and i dont fancy trying it myself..

The exhaust cost me £38 thats £54 less than Kwik fit quoted so i guess i have upto that to play with before it becomes a problem..

I reckon i can ge the centre pipes from the same bloke if it comes to it... a lot less than £250 quoted ny Kwik fit!
Free Traffic law advice  - Just PM or see the sticky thread in General Chat ! http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1177278724 - no liability accepted

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2007, 16:34:34 »

Here is some pikkies of the exhaust

Free Traffic law advice  - Just PM or see the sticky thread in General Chat ! http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1177278724 - no liability accepted

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2007, 16:36:31 »

Very fast delivery, great packaging.....

the ebay usename is    - Eternalcar.

Will be a few weeks till i can have it fitted... so will lwt you all know how that goes.

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 May 2007, 17:01:14 »

Very fast delivery, great packaging.....

the ebay usename is    - Eternalcar.

Will be a few weeks till i can have it fitted... so will lwt you all know how that goes.

Ah - eternalcar, thought I recognised their stickers.  I ordered a boot liner form them and that was quick to arrive too.  Good luck with the job, and let us know how you get on.  Be good to see if the noise levels are OK with this exhaust.

If you want to try and improve the odds of not getting a big bill, some regular spraying of penetrating oil as has been suggested earlier will be helpful if the jobs not due for a week or 2.

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2007, 17:06:15 »

what sort of penetrating oil is best then?

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2007, 17:14:55 »

A few pics of the joint....

pic showing the reason it needs to be replaced

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2007, 17:37:19 »

what sort of penetrating oil is best then?

Having seen the pictures you just posted... they look like they will be pretty stuck.  x25xe suggested plus gas, Ive got some of that and its good but I havent seen it on sale locally for a while.  3 in 1 do a penetrant spray too which Ive not used so cant say if its any good.  WD40 if nothing better to hand is better than nothing though.

What are the bolts joining the centre pipes to the cats like?  If this was my car (and the cat bolts were OK) Id be tempted to take the whole lot off (easy if the cat bolts are OK) and this will help reduce risk of damage to centre pipes.  Problem is that the cat bolts are likely to be rusty if on for a while and these are an even bigger hassle if you need to get them off...

Jon

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile

mahony

• Intermediate Member
  • london
    • omega elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 May 2007, 17:58:00 »

had my exhaust on my 3.0 elite replaced from the cat backwards for £180 last month,it failed the mot on back box (twin exit and original vaux),after removing the exhaust the centre boxs also had holes which the mot tester overlooked and obviously could not hear blowing when under the car. the pattern part is more noisey but not to bad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.