Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust Quote  (Read 7062 times)

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Quote
« Reply #30 on: 01 May 2007, 18:46:33 »

Looking at my pictures... its tempting to try cutting it off...do you all think, if i cut the clamps it would seperate or will it be rusted together??
Free Traffic law advice  - Just PM or see the sticky thread in General Chat ! http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1177278724 - no liability accepted

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 May 2007, 18:47:11 »

I don't fancy gettign them off....
Grumpy old man

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 May 2007, 20:43:42 »

Looking at my pictures... its tempting to try cutting it off...do you all think, if i cut the clamps it would seperate or will it be rusted together??

Well the problem is less likely to be the clamps and more likely to be the place where the centre pipes sleeve into the backbox pipes.  The clamps tighten up the outer sleeve (backbox) onto the inner sleeve (centre pipe) and the tendency will be for the lot to rust together.  So its not just a case of cutting the clamps to separate them.  I guess the clamps will loosen OK with persuasion though.  

But, after that, you will need to remove the backbox from the centre pipes without damaging the centre pipes.  I'd be tempted to angle grind the backbox off, then carefully take the outer sleeves out with a grinder and/or hacksaw and a bit of patience.  It is likely to be a bit of an arrs, as TB suggests.  I ended up doing the cats back on mine, despite having an OK back box.  But thats not an ideal solution as I ended up drilling out the cat bolts which was a right hassle.  Your best bet is some careful application of a grinder, minigrinder & hacksaw I guess if you want to try and do this on the car.

If you want to combine this with other business if you are down my way (sounds like the jobs not urgent) then I'll give you a hand if you like,

Jon

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 May 2007, 20:55:36 »

Thanks..  Lets say i get the thing off. i assume its just a matter of clamping the new one on? no sealent or anything???

Free Traffic law advice  - Just PM or see the sticky thread in General Chat ! http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1177278724 - no liability accepted

Joneyentee

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 May 2007, 20:56:16 »

Just found this http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Lubricants&product=30700

Delivery seems a bit steep? £4.18 for a can then £7.05 delivery charge?
Reading of signatures prohibited...

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 May 2007, 20:58:53 »

Just found this http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Lubricants&product=30700

Delivery seems a bit steep? £4.18 for a can then £7.05 delivery charge?

Ouch!  Didnt notice that.  Guess you need a local branch!

cdx25

• Plymouth, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 May 2007, 21:02:03 »

Thanks..  Lets say i get the thing off. i assume its just a matter of clamping the new one on? no sealent or anything???

Assuming the old one comes off, installing the new one is just a case of sliding the backbox onto the new pipes and then tightening up the clamps.  (You may need to clean up / polish up the old tubes if they wont easily fit into the new backbox due to rust.)  Nothing stopping you putting a smear of exhaust paste on the centrebox pipe, but this may not be needed.  Might need some exhaust hangars if yours are in poor condition, but my 8 year old ones were fine when I changed my exhaust.  I stuck new ones on as Id bought them anyway...

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 May 2007, 21:13:44 »

Thanks.. I am tempted to have a go. i have'nt got an angle grinder however - just a dremel and hack saw...

think i will leave it to the experts....

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 May 2007, 21:44:18 »

Having removed a backbox recently I'd say don't muck about. The only way that will come off nicely is to chop the back box off with an angle grinder and very carefully split the remaining pipe and clamps with the angle grinder.

I tried banging, blow torches, penetrating oil and that joint was solid.

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 May 2007, 21:50:59 »

Having removed a backbox recently I'd say don't muck about. The only way that will come off nicely is to chop the back box off with an angle grinder and very carefully split the remaining pipe and clamps with the angle grinder.

I tried banging, blow torches, penetrating oil and that joint was solid.

where abouts are you in Bristol mate?

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 May 2007, 00:59:30 »

Long Ashton - but doing my exhaust was a nightmare.

I'd rather give you £25 to get the garage to do it than do it again......

Dean

• Weston Super Mare - UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 May 2007, 07:14:48 »

Sounds like a job for the garage... I am in Kingswood.  :y

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02 May 2007, 08:35:55 »

As has already been said - it would be far better to part with your £25 than attempt this.  I know from experience - thought I could do the job but had to admit defeat in the end. :-[

I will never attempt another exhaust again!!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02 May 2007, 09:45:19 »

I replaced my Back Box at the weekend it was Soooooooooo Rusted but lucky for me my 2litre on has one centre section so i just took the whole thing off CAT back sheared off the clamp bolts in two seconds then beat the connect to the back box and centre section with a hammer to get all the rust off so i could see the join and then used a hammer and chisle took about 2 mins to part them and I am not joking when i say it was rusted tight.

Craig
« Last Edit: 02 May 2007, 09:45:59 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 May 2007, 12:52:41 »

i think your garage will have problems getting that back box off.

It will either just fall off very easily, or it will be a right PITA!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.