Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 7567 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2014, 17:01:58 »

How many times, Kevin, have people on here told tales about losing the rear end in damp conditions, not even wet?

Not many, in my recollection (excluding reports from those suspects who were most likely provoking it ;)).

The fact is that the TC will chime in before an Omega gets out of shape if it's not being driven recklessly in the first place.

Besides, you're not exactly the average driver, are you? Westfield indeed.....how many drivers could honestly say they could handle a Westfield without loads of practice?

I consider myself very much an average driver. I've had no tuition beyond passing my test in the days when it was a 15 minute potter around town then half a dozen questions.

I also don't believe you have to be a driving god to drive any car. As long as you treat it with reasonable caution until you know its' capabilities, there's no such thing as a dangerous car.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2014, 17:04:13 »

In fact, I'll go further. Omegas are unsafe/unstable in the wet and are only good for speed in a straight line. You may say that, if you know how to handle them, they are perfectly safe and great fun to drive. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to handle a large, rear wheel drive car, esp. in the wet. It is, as you know, a totally different driving style and out of all the RWD cars around, the omega needs your full attention more than most.

FFS, don't ever drive a Westfield. ;D

The Omega is about as docile a rear wheel drive car as I've ever driven. More so than my Mum's Volvo 340 which only had about 70 BHP. ;)

Agreed. My Omega is a kitten in the wet. :y
Shame the same can't be said of your wife. ;D

Mrs Opti is a tigress with sharp claws. :-\ :-\ Still, it's not all bad because the sex is always great after a bust up. :y

Stemo

« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2014, 17:05:26 »

In fact, I'll go further. Omegas are unsafe/unstable in the wet and are only good for speed in a straight line. You may say that, if you know how to handle them, they are perfectly safe and great fun to drive. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to handle a large, rear wheel drive car, esp. in the wet. It is, as you know, a totally different driving style and out of all the RWD cars around, the omega needs your full attention more than most.

FFS, don't ever drive a Westfield. ;D

The Omega is about as docile a rear wheel drive car as I've ever driven. More so than my Mum's Volvo 340 which only had about 70 BHP. ;)

Agreed. My Omega is a kitten in the wet. :y
Shame the same can't be said of your wife. ;D

Mrs Opti is a tigress with sharp claws. :-\ :-\ Still, it's not all bad because the sex is always great after a bust up. :y
Don't.........please......

Stemo

« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2014, 17:07:01 »

Right. My work is done here. Back to general disrespect.  ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2014, 18:20:43 »

suspect ChrisGixer has a point about the Conti tyres as the dealer fit loads of them but most cars in VW stable are FWD I suppose. On a 4wd like Phaeton hope it works out??
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2014, 21:17:53 »

No idea how they will work on the VW, which is 4WD and heavier (I think) than Omega, but the SC5 was a premium priced tyre with budget performance on my Omega. Fortunately, the fronts were spent in 3k, and the rears about 6k (IIRC), so was a short lived, albeit expensive, mistake.
Grumpy old man

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2014, 22:01:03 »

Got to be honest, had Sport Contact 5's on an A3, reasonable dry grip, rubbish in the wet, they're absolute rubbish compared to Sport Contact 3's.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2014, 21:44:44 »

Could they be persuaded to fit the continentals until both the dunlops arrive (paying only when the right tyre comes in)? If they don't then just say you will get them elsewhere? I don't know if you give them a lot of business etc.. but if you do then it may be the start of a good deal?

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 May 2014, 23:37:26 »

Radar - too late now - I was involved in lots of stuff when I had to make the decision and saw the replies on here too late. My driving style may be suited to the tyres as I am not into putting the Phaeton through its paces on corners - as  said previously I just use on motorway.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 May 2014, 16:55:28 »

First long run today on the Contact 5s. SWMBO commented that car is smoother and quieter. So far so good but it was not too wet today.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 June 2014, 14:47:14 »

I think you will find them to be reasonable tyres. I cannot imagine Conti releasing tyres that are absolutely rubbish as some on here would claim. The same I feel applies to Michelin Pilot sport 3's and F1 Assym 2's. The negativity seems to come from the TB and chrisgixer who seem to be inordinately sensitive to tyres, tramlining etc. Yet what is important is that they both use wheels that are not manufacturer spec but produced by a third party ie Irmscher and probably have no bearing to the majority of us running standard Omega wheels. The wider and lower profile your tyres are, the more sensitive to tramlining they are.

Having used Conti SC3, SC5, PS3, F1 Assym 2, Dunlop sport maxx etc on the Omega, I cannot say that there is as great a difference as some would claim there is. There are differences and I know which I prefer, but wouldn't label any of them being outright rubbish.

It is very similar to TB bleating about how no android phone can provide the email requirements he has, yet that does not apply to 99.9% of us on here.

Then you have cem (the other extreme) who will believe everything that is written on google and wikipedia is true and gospel.

A somewhat more balanced middle of the road approach works for most people.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 June 2014, 15:10:15 »

I think you will find them to be reasonable tyres. I cannot imagine Conti releasing tyres that are absolutely rubbish as some on here would claim. The same I feel applies to Michelin Pilot sport 3's and F1 Assym 2's. The negativity seems to come from the TB and chrisgixer who seem to be inordinately sensitive to tyres, tramlining etc. Yet what is important is that they both use wheels that are not manufacturer spec but produced by a third party ie Irmscher and probably have no bearing to the majority of us running standard Omega wheels. The wider and lower profile your tyres are, the more sensitive to tramlining they are.

Having used Conti SC3, SC5, PS3, F1 Assym 2, Dunlop sport maxx etc on the Omega, I cannot say that there is as great a difference as some would claim there is. There are differences and I know which I prefer, but wouldn't label any of them being outright rubbish.

It is very similar to TB bleating about how no android phone can provide the email requirements he has, yet that does not apply to 99.9% of us on here.

Then you have cem (the other extreme) who will believe everything that is written on google and wikipedia is true and gospel.

A somewhat more balanced middle of the road approach works for most people.

In my subjective opinion, I rate these tyres highly. :y

Others may say they are 'shite'.... :y

05omegav6

« Reply #42 on: 01 June 2014, 17:09:17 »

In defence, the Irmscher wheels are factory aporoved/certified/available options.

I am with Opti on the Goodyear Assyms, btw :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #43 on: 01 June 2014, 17:14:02 »

Woooow hold up a minute.

"Some" here seem to be implying that these are all the same simply due to the fact they haven't noticed the difference.

Ok fine, but why is that?  In the same way all drivers are not the same, all tyres are not the same either. The simple fact that one poster can't TELL the difference, doesn't mean they are the same.

Driving style is a key factor. You need to look at the driving style of the person posting as to weather they will reach those limits in order to find the differences.

I can assure you TB WILL find the limits of any road tyre. And those limits where exceeded LONG before any of the others in that list with the sc5.

Implying that tyre is the same as the others in your opinion is one thing, but implying another drivers opinion is invalid, a driver you don't know, or have any experience of clearly, is not on.

You have no idea of the experience and conditions involved wth the appalling handling characteristics of the sc5. I do. TB does.

Given those facts, at no point should the sc5 be recommended for the omega. Based on the first hand agreed experience of two members. Its Shite.

You personally may not push its envelope enough to notice, but given that above, it will never be recommended unanimously here.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 June 2014, 17:36:24 »

You personally may not push its envelope enough to notice, but given that above, it will never be recommended unanimously here.

.. even if it's a Fer.. Fer.. Fer.. F**ken, I wonder?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.