Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need new Head Unit with Aux input  (Read 7316 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Need new Head Unit with Aux input
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2006, 18:06:32 »

Halfords if tricky - I wouldn't trust them!

Halfords just send out monkey who aint even done his GCSE's yet, or better still failed them. Having said that i do know 1 guy in a Halfords store who actually knows his stuff, but he's rare. They generally don't have a clue!

You could substitute Vauxhall for Halfords in the above sentance and it would still make sense.  ;D

Too true!  ;D

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2006, 03:36:23 »

Halfords just send out monkey who aint even done his GCSE's yet, or better still failed them. Having said that i do know 1 guy in a Halfords store who actually knows his stuff, but he's rare. They generally don't have a clue!

Go for it Dufster, any probs post it up here and should be able to help!  :y

have to say i partially agree tunnie, been both a customer and now part time fitter for halfords  :-[ (i know, but i needed extra £ to keep my megga otr over xmas),
However i (as far as im aware) am the only person to have done any accreditation from both VSIB and the IMI.  :y been doing audio, HF kits and "other projects" (see website) for about 4years now.
so i like to think i know my stuff too lol. but i do see your point with regards to the ones that are pretty dense when it comes to ICE and other bits.

regards, and merry christmas.
Rob  :)
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2006, 12:21:33 »

Hey Rob, yeh there are people out there who know their stuff!! Just as a general rule they tend not to be! Like Vx dealers, most are rubbish but there are some good ones out there  :y

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2006, 22:01:47 »

i whole-heartedly agree with you mark. which is why i do the majority of servicing myslef or entrust it to my mates garage if its too much for my limited mechanics skills. (avoiding main dealers like the plague) but if its electrical i feel pretty confident that there is very little on my motor i cant do  :y

if anyone is on here from my area, just for reference im in the skippers lane store  ;)

rob
« Last Edit: 19 December 2006, 22:02:12 by RobC_NE »
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 December 2006, 01:28:33 »

I could have sworn I saw a photo guide for replacing the radio, but can't find it now, so here's a quick guide.

Disconnect battery.

On front of radio, remove four grubscrews.  Insert removal tools or four nails or wire coat hanger pieces into holes until they sort of locate.
Gently push tools out sideways a bit and pull and wriggle the radio at the same time.  You can use a plastic lever to help.  It is quite stiff, but will come out eventually.

The radio just pulls neatly out from a connector at the back.

Now, you'll be left with a metal cage with the connector at the back.  The cage is held in place with a single screw located around the centre of the cage.  Use a torch to identify the head type and remove it.  It may even be a plastic rivet which you'll have to chop off.

The cage can be removed by squeezing the top and bottom of the cage inwards by about 20mm.

Unclip the connectors at the back and put the cage somewhere safe as you may need to put the standard radio back one day.

You now have the wiring loom and connectors to which you can connect your new equipment to.

Remember the permanent 12v and switched 12v wires are reversed in Vauxhalls, so you'll need to swap them over.

Let us know if you need help choosing a headunit.

« Last Edit: 20 December 2006, 01:35:56 by Hillper »
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

TheDufster

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 December 2006, 12:48:41 »

Remember the permanent 12v and switched 12v wires are reversed in Vauxhalls, so you'll need to swap them over.

Thanks Hillper, but something tells me that this little nugget of information may lead to a disaster if not done properly. Am I right? If so can you shed a little light on the situation so that I don't blow something up when I connect up the new head unit?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 December 2006, 12:50:59 »

No Damage from those

Just incorrect operation of power button, loss of memory and settings
no ignition switching.

TheDufster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 December 2006, 12:55:55 »

Cheers! Just thought I'd ask the obvious question. I "blew up" a motherboard on a pc once for putting the connectors on the wrong way around  >:(

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 December 2006, 12:57:48 »

LOL you are going back a few years there, PC power connectors are one block now(ATX), not 2 identical ones(AT)!

TheDufster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 December 2006, 12:58:44 »

LOL you are going back a few years there, PC power connectors are one block now(ATX), not 2 identical ones(AT)!

Hee hee! yes it was a few years back. I learnt a good lesson on that occassion!

Let us know if you need help choosing a headunit.

Any ideas on a replacement head unit would be gratefully received. I like the look of Tunnie's though. As long as I can connect my 60gb mp3 player to it, either using a jack or USB connection I don't mind. Don't want to go crazy and spend loads, but it needs to have at least the sound quality of the factory CDR2005 unit.
« Last Edit: 20 December 2006, 12:59:47 by TheDufster »

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2006, 13:57:34 »

I think you can do a bit better than the CDR2005!

You really need to work out the maximum you want to spend.  You generally get what you pay for.  Anything around £200 (new) will be very good.

Pioneer and Alpine at this price are unbeatable.

Work out what gadgets you do and do not need.  Though most units seem to be feature rich these days.

If you want to amp your system at a later stage, two sets of pre-outs and subwoofer control is important.

The head unit is the sound source.  If the sound is wrong at this stage, it won't get any better, down the line.  

If you want advice and opinions on the latest gear, go here.  

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/

These guys are really into car Hi Fi!
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2006, 18:36:24 »

Yes, I think you will be impressed at the improvement over the 2005... :)

I echo Hillpers comments.

Pioneer are making osme of the finest units around, with Alpine also being excellent.

Under £200 new?

From Pioneer it would be this:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-dehp55bt-p-4821.html

or for a bit more...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-dehp75bt-p-5150.html

From Alpine it would be this:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cda9812rb-p-2193.html?cadid=655e06b8e3723b8553db3aa35c393bfa

The Administrator.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 December 2006, 08:52:41 »

I do like that 1st pioneer, even has sub display out...
But anyone found an adaptor to connect to the mid?
mmmm any colour display, mp3, bluetooth < £200 mmmmm
I was previously thinking of the kenwood 6534 for about the same money.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 December 2006, 10:12:51 »

Considering how much of an improvement a decent aftermarket unit makes to the sound, I would not be worried about the MID display. :)

With the Pioneer, the addition of bluetooth connectivity for a handsfree setup would quickly make my mind up for me!
The Administrator.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 December 2006, 17:26:58 »

Considering how much of an improvement a decent aftermarket unit makes to the sound, I would not be worried about the MID display. :)

With the Pioneer, the addition of bluetooth connectivity for a handsfree setup would quickly make my mind up for me!

Indeed.

I too wanted to keep the MID and people said you won't miss it, i thought i would but i don't!!  ;D

An aftermarket headunit really boosts the sound, you get a lot better bass out of the standard speakers, it really does make a bit differnce. Add a sub and its very good  ;D

No need to replace the speakers
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.