Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Poll

Who is the worst British Prime Minister in modern times?

Margaret Thatcher
- 0 (0%)
John Major
- 1 (2.6%)
Tony Blair
- 21 (53.8%)
Gordon Brown
- 8 (20.5%)
David Cameron
- 1 (2.6%)
Theresa May
- 8 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: 10 May 2019, 14:30:42

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is the worst British Prime Minister in modern times?  (Read 8280 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

There has been much chit chat in the media and social media that Theresa May is Britain's worst ever Prime Minister.  ::) But is she?  ???

In a litany of bad Prime Ministers the competition for the title of worst PM is hot!  ::)  So I thought I'd start a poll to see what the OOferati think.  :) 

Here's the list going back to Thatcher and what I see as their 'legacies' to the country.  ;)

Margaret Thatcher: Still widely despised by many for the Poll Tax and the de-industrialisation of many parts of the country.

John Major: Maastricht, the ERM debacle, Black Wednesday and the knock on effects that caused the recession of the early 1990's.

Tony Blair: Iraq, devolution, the botched reforms of the House of Lords and mass immigration.

Gordon Brown: Scuttling in the back door to sign the Lisbon Treaty and avoiding the publicity because it was so controversial at home, the huge budget deficit he left at the end of his term caused not only because of the financial crisis, but because of the bad management of the economy and the unsustainable levels of public spending while he was Chancellor and PM.

David Cameron: Libya, austerity and BREXIT.

Theresa May: Threw away her majority in an unnecessary General Election with a really bad campaign and the appalling mess she has made of BREXIT.

These 'legacies' are not necessarily my opinion and are not exhaustive, so feel free to add!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the worst British Prime Minister in modern times?
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2019, 15:45:30 »

Mrs Thatcher was of her time, and the country need her, biggest mistake was the poll tax. Since then all been spineless and foooking useless, this country needs a strong single-minded person to stand up for the country and it's moral code, Thatcher I think did this, And it's what's needed again, A leadership that will stand up against Europe tell them this is the deal, and to sort out all the wet snowflakes we have trying to ruin this country even more...  Thinks maybe this TB bloke might be worth voting for  :y
Hoof'land storeman.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2019, 15:52:04 »

Such a motley choice I may need to take the reins to make Britain great again. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2019, 16:41:24 »

Only one stands out... His predecessor was a treasonous slimey nuct, but my choice funded that behavior and then spectacularly shot himself in the head by completely underestimating the scale of his own clusteropps  ;D

The current incumbent is no achiever but apart from the whole Brexit debacle, again not a situation she should have voluntarily walked into, she's probably on a par with John Major... ie somewhat unimaginative which isn't a good trait for taking a strong lead when the current issues warrant it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2019, 17:10:11 »

I know the eurosceptics will say the current PM, but likely based on a blinkered hell-bent must-leave-at-all-costs view.  As much as I dislike her, I don't think anyone could have done significantly better, and certainly no current UK politician.

But Brown wins my vote - I know his hands were tied by the likes of the Rothschild family, but as chancellor and PM, he right royally screw us all.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2019, 18:29:48 »

Mrs Thatcher was of her time, and the country need her, biggest mistake was the poll tax. Since then all been spineless and foooking useless, this country needs a strong single-minded person to stand up for the country and it's moral code, Thatcher I think did this, And it's what's needed again, A leadership that will stand up against Europe tell them this is the deal, and to sort out all the wet snowflakes we have trying to ruin this country even more...  Thinks maybe this TB bloke might be worth voting for  :y

BG, I have yet to hear a sensible, reasoned argument against the Poll Tax. As I understand it, one earner, one tax/rates bill.
Those that mainly objected were those who lived in (council?) houses with multiple wage earners yet only paid the same amount as a lone pensioner, using minimal services.

Ron.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2019, 19:22:37 »

Close call as to whether it is Brown or B.Liar IMHO. :-\

That's not to say the rest are shining examples, but up against that pair... ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2019, 19:39:22 »

I will say Brown. Close run thing and we haven't had the full horror of May yet as she is still at the reins.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2019, 20:12:41 »

BG, I have yet to hear a sensible, reasoned argument against the Poll Tax. As I understand it, one earner, one tax/rates bill.
Those that mainly objected were those who lived in (council?) houses with multiple wage earners yet only paid the same amount as a lone pensioner, using minimal services.

Ron.

The poll tax and council tax are both wrong, all they are is efficient ways of raising tax indirectly, hence income tax is cut yet council tax goes up, look at all the indirect tax we pay,   Police-fire-frontline service should be paid from Central government, not. Piss pot power crazed local eejits.
Hoof'land storeman.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2019, 20:19:07 »

Yep, we motorists know all about indirect (stealth) taxation!!! >:(

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2019, 20:33:39 »

Blair. It seemed to me that he set out to do as much damage as he possibly could to his own country, and was extremely successful at doing so.
This country will never recover from the damage he did to it.
Brown doesn't really get a look in. As Chancellor he was the worst of modern times, but as PM he was just out of his depth and didn't last very long.
May is an utter disaster ,so far out of her depth it would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. The Tory party had the chance to ditch her last December, but although the back benches voted to get rid of her, those on the payroll voted for their own careers above the good of the country, and should never ever be forgiven for it.
The only one on the list who deserved to hold the office was Thatcher. Love her or loathe her, she loved this country, believed in its potential and created the conditions for it to realise its potential.
The most effective politician of my lifetime. The second most effective- love him or loathe him -  would be Farage.

Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2019, 21:34:16 »

:y :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2019, 21:38:37 »

I vote MigV6 for PM .....  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2019, 23:37:06 »

The most effective politician of my lifetime. The second most effective- love him or loathe him -  would be Farage.

PM Farage is not an unrealistic possibility IMO.
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2019, 23:48:39 »

You can never say never. Someone who predicted president Trump 10 years ago would probably have been locked away in a padded cell.
It would take the complete implosion of the Tory party and probably the Labour party too. Neither of those things is beyond the bounds of possibility currently.
They are both doing a pretty good job of tearing themselves apart. The next 5 years or so could be an  interesting time in UK politics.

Andy, I accept your nomination. Im getting bored doing night time security.  :y ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.