Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice Jolly..  (Read 7885 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Jolly..
« Reply #30 on: 27 June 2019, 19:28:33 »

The Americans have form for rebuilding planes in the name of development.

Several variations of the 707/720 have been rebuilt a few times over the years.

And Britain made the Nimrod out of the Comet :D ;)

Is that proof that you can't polish a turd?
Only we could take an obselete-before-its-second-flight design, take three goes at redesigning it before finally scrapping the whole project and buying airliners that were readily available when the initial project started and call it ingenuity ::)

That's the British Government, and all our governments, certainly since 1945 with the Defence Budget always being wasted by a fair percentage!! ::) ::) :(

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 June 2019, 21:37:49 »

Not absolutely related to the thread but I think it’s worth a look if you’ve not seen it before and I’m sure you’ll know what they are :y

https://youtu.be/Gv9iIpeU4TE
Laying a rubber road.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 June 2019, 21:45:33 »

Not absolutely related to the thread but I think it’s worth a look if you’ve not seen it before and I’m sure you’ll know what they are :y

In the Q and A session after we asked what level they typically transit cross country.

"Don't worry. MUCH lower than you guys"
"Oh, how low's that?"
"It's good to practice low level flying whenever we can get the opportunity"
"Got a number?"
"Well under 500 feet"
"<Smirk>"
"Well, you would too<smirk>"
 ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 June 2019, 22:50:04 »

Ha ha, as they say, them were the days 8)
Laying a rubber road.

aaronjb

« Reply #34 on: 28 June 2019, 08:36:28 »

Doing that speed at all of about 6' off the deck must have been such a rush  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 June 2019, 13:02:14 »

Low level ground attack and general flying was the mark of some of the RAF crack squadrons.  Is that still the case?

Great to witness!! 8) 8) :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 June 2019, 02:59:01 »

Low level ground attack and general flying was the mark of some of the RAF crack squadrons.  Is that still the case?

Great to witness!! 8) 8) :y

1991 Gulf War showed the vulnerability of flying low, especially using JP233 runway denial munitions, ask John Nichols. Tornado with its terrain following was optimized for this role where it could terrain follow at 50', but it was very vulnerable to small arms ground fire.

The US approach with their much bigger air force could fly above small arms ground fire at medium level & suppress SAMs and radars, through a combination of ECM and anti-radiation missiles like the AGM-88 HARM. The Gulf War vindicated the US approach.

5th generation stealth aircraft are designed to operate in modern A2D hostile environments, how well they will work in S400 defended areas remains to be seen with their range of radars frequencies & IR detection systems. Stealth technology has in the past concentrated on long range radar systems, where the current technology is at will obviously be classified.

The start of the 1991 air war was with AH64 Apaches taking out Iraqi air defence radars to create an air corridor with this article providing the best description to date I've seen http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1991/October%201991/1091apache.aspx on the operation, which also illustrates the high standards to which Western forces train & operate at, which is a major asset for NATO.

About 15 years a oo I had the opportunity to fly a Chinook simulator at RAF Benson for about 10 minutes. The avionic flight control systems made it very easy as after takeoff you could set your altitude, pitch the nose forward to gain speed without losing height. Very different from flying a basic helicopter with their 3-axis cross coupling. I'm sure TB has experienced this with his models and just to takeoff and hover and land again is a major achievement.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 June 2019, 14:01:11 »

Ok, thanks :y :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 June 2019, 21:19:23 »

As Rods alludes to, the modern RAF is not setup to go low level in fast jets. Neither Typhoon nor F-35 are routinely used at low level, and low level training flights have been banned in "The Loop" for almost 6 months now. It was actually stopped before Tornado was finally retired, alledgedly because top brass didn't want any unneccessery accidents before the type finally bowed out.

All the modern ground attack munitions (Paveway, Brimstone etc) are launced/dropped from medium altitude (10-20K feet). There are currently no plans to fly F-35 at low level at all - none have been photographed low level in the usual spots (although there are only 3 in the country at the moment!) 

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 June 2019, 21:27:39 »

Nice.  Gotta love a Chinook   :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30 June 2019, 10:28:52 »

As Rods alludes to, the modern RAF is not setup to go low level in fast jets. Neither Typhoon nor F-35 are routinely used at low level, and low level training flights have been banned in "The Loop" for almost 6 months now. It was actually stopped before Tornado was finally retired, alledgedly because top brass didn't want any unneccessery accidents before the type finally bowed out.

All the modern ground attack munitions (Paveway, Brimstone etc) are launced/dropped from medium altitude (10-20K feet). There are currently no plans to fly F-35 at low level at all - none have been photographed low level in the usual spots (although there are only 3 in the country at the moment!)

I suppose with the advent of ever more sophisticated air to ground missiles, let alone drones, technology has moved on a bit since 617 Squadron did their run to the dams, and likewise the Mosquito's famed low level attacks are now allotted fully to history! :o :o :D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 July 2019, 17:45:57 »

There are currently no plans to fly F-35 at low level at all
I think getting one to fly should be the first challenge ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 July 2019, 21:25:54 »

They flew here from the US, IIRC.

.. Unless that refuelling probe was actually a cunningly disguised aerotow rope. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01 July 2019, 21:59:48 »

.. Unless that refuelling probe was actually a cunningly disguised aerotow rope. ;D
I'm not sure that folding the wings and stuffing it into the back of a C17 counts as flying :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 July 2019, 23:24:33 »

I'm not sure that folding the wings and stuffing it into the back of a C17 counts as flying :-\

It dosn't, but my recollection is that the first 3 flew the journey under their own power.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.