Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Gatwick  (Read 29782 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Gatwick
« Reply #75 on: 21 December 2018, 18:52:06 »

It's back!

Gatwick closed again due to 'suspected drone sighting'....  ::)

Suspected?  ???  Either someone's seen the bloody thing or not!  :-X

Someone is going to end up doing a stretch, and much deserved messing with peoples lives .
I would gladly drag the tunc through the departure lounge  >:(
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 21 December 2018, 18:53:19 »

There are contingencies, but you have to be realistic about implementation times ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 21 December 2018, 19:02:21 »

Cant disagree..

How many business models build in contingencies.? If you do other companies not doing so would be morecompetitive.
I've spent the last 3 weeks working on de-risking an already unlikely, but far from impossible, scenario over the next 2 weeks ;)

And outside of work, I spend a lot of time building in contingencies to keep you OOFers happy (ie oblivious to failures).

So I think many do, and many people work for companies that do, hence so much frustration when they're impacted by companies that haven't got contingency plans for something you could almost guarantee would happen...
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 21 December 2018, 19:33:30 »

LZ - serves you right for listening to that self-centred, thick, cumstain of a idiot.  He's fallen into the Daily Fail mentality of trying to encourage outrage is a good thing (for him).

Varche - We act like we are a 3rd world country.  A bit of snow, we can't cope. A bit of rain, we can't cope. A small flying machine potentially in the flightline, we can't cope.  I think this is 2 fold, firstly, our civil service is crap and useless at all levels; secondly, we have bred a whole generation (probably 2) of incompetent, self centred mongrels, with the 'flakes on the way as well.

Say it as it is TB ;D :y

I was only listening today as I had to take a male friend to London.  Believe me once I had my fill of that prat I soon turned on the CD player! ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 21 December 2018, 19:44:30 »

You say that LZ, but one knob head on Twitter made comment about how 10,000 people who would enjoy the first day of peace and quiet in decades >:(

Completely ignoring the 110,000 displaced passengers, 4-5,000 crews and all the people who had to put up with extra flights at their airports and the operation consequences of all of the above...

Somebody else put him straight back into his parents basement  ;D

Yes, it is all about the interests of the few DG.

On our local news over the last few days there has been an item on an ex-military base where they wanted to build thousands of new homes.  But now the application to build just 500 is struggling to get through due to environmentalists wanting to protect a few birds, even though the development will allow for them anyway. So, instead of thousands being able to be homed when housing is impossibly short and expensive in the SE, a few will get their wish to protect a few of our feathered friends. Bloody grazy >:(

Back to the Gatwick fiasco;  they didn't shoot the bloody drones down due to a risk to the public on the ground.  Do you think the Battle of Britain would have been allowed to take place with the risk element of people on the ground being killed, or would we now just say to Nazi Germany,  "sorry old boy but we cannot join the fight due to the risk to our people"!  FFS, what have we become!!  >:(>:(

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 21 December 2018, 19:52:32 »

Drones are a well known problem & have been for sometime. Many countries have developed counter measures, some of which are more easily defeated than others. The problem is not only at the company level where costs are cut too far to keep the directors bonuses share dividends flowing. Far too many people and companies fail to recognise the difference between what you can do and what you should do with banks and financial institution being a regular emperor with no clothes on when the financial tide goes out as an example.

Why am I not surprised it was Gatfick Gatwick? Cheaper to have one comms link for all flight displays, what could possibly go wrong? Gives a clue. ::) ::) ::)

The other big problem are our politicians which I hope where Westminster will change from acting like a village council that they now have to earn their living (rather than most of the month spent on creatively fiddling their expenses) where they can now longer put most problems in the EU out tray to make them go away, but will now have to run (or not, until the next GE), where we can have a clear out of the duffers & misfits. BTW Anna Sozbury's expenses were almost £200k, which again IME the worse and ineffective an MP is the bigger their annual expenses. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 21 December 2018, 19:57:07 »

Cant disagree..

How many business models build in contingencies.? If you do other companies not doing so would be morecompetitive.
I've spent the last 3 weeks working on de-risking an already unlikely, but far from impossible, scenario over the next 2 weeks ;)

And outside of work, I spend a lot of time building in contingencies to keep you OOFers happy (ie oblivious to failures).

So I think many do, and many people work for companies that do, hence so much frustration when they're impacted by companies that haven't got contingency plans for something you could almost guarantee would happen...

FT4U :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 21 December 2018, 20:12:18 »

Drones are a well known problem & have been for sometime. Many countries have developed counter measures, some of which are more easily defeated than others.

Amoungst a number of statements made today in the media is that the military have installed equipment in strategic locations around the airport which has given Gatwick management confidence to start flights again. The "unique capabilities" of the army was mentioned by the minister for defence, so if this is that why can't that equipment be used all the time?  On the news it was mentioned that the use of these gadgets would not normally be authorised, but these special measures had to be used to combat a special problem.

What is all this about, and why has Gatwick missed out on having the special anti drone equipment that Heathrow has?

The minister stated he couldn't discuss all the elements of this stuff for reasons of national security [The Official Secrets Act?].

Any observations please, but do not comment if you are in breach of the Act ;D ;)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 21 December 2018, 20:20:20 »

Open again i have just read.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 21 December 2018, 20:43:47 »

Drones are a well known problem & have been for sometime. Many countries have developed counter measures, some of which are more easily defeated than others.

Amoungst a number of statements made today in the media is that the military have installed equipment in strategic locations around the airport which has given Gatwick management confidence to start flights again. The "unique capabilities" of the army was mentioned by the minister for defence, so if this is that why can't that equipment be used all the time?  On the news it was mentioned that the use of these gadgets would not normally be authorised, but these special measures had to be used to combat a special problem.

What is all this about, and why has Gatwick missed out on having the special anti drone equipment that Heathrow has?

The minister stated he couldn't discuss all the elements of this stuff for reasons of national security [The Official Secrets Act?].

Any observations please, but do not comment if you are in breach of the Act ;D ;)

Where drones are used for frontline reconnaissance in war, with the Russian army having integrated intelligence sections attached to all forward units, the military need special equipment to defeat them. Ukraine has found out the hard way, through casualties, how quickly the Russians can spot and react with MLRS, artillery and sniper fire when any troops are exposed when on patrols etc. Ukrainians on the frontline have frequently commented that you are more likely to hear rather than see the drone that has clocked you, followed by a rain of fire.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 21 December 2018, 22:53:56 »

Drones are a well known problem & have been for sometime. Many countries have developed counter measures, some of which are more easily defeated than others. The problem is not only at the company level where costs are cut too far to keep the directors bonuses share dividends flowing. Far too many people and companies fail to recognise the difference between what you can do and what you should do with banks and financial institution being a regular emperor with no clothes on when the financial tide goes out as an example.

Why am I not surprised it was Gatfick Gatwick? Cheaper to have one comms link for all flight displays, what could possibly go wrong? Gives a clue. ::) ::) ::)

The other big problem are our politicians which I hope where Westminster will change from acting like a village council that they now have to earn their living (rather than most of the month spent on creatively fiddling their expenses) where they can now longer put most problems in the EU out tray to make them go away, but will now have to run (or not, until the next GE), where we can have a clear out of the duffers & misfits. BTW Anna Sozbury's expenses were almost £200k, which again IME the worse and ineffective an MP is the bigger their annual expenses. >:( >:( >:(
FYI

Gatwick, and all airports, take their safeguarding responsibilities incredibly seriously. They have to. As part of the safeguarding systems, the issue of drones is not new and the airport has taken steps to address the perceived threat from drones. Unfortunately in this situation, which is clearly a deliberate attack, the measures to prevent irresponsible but otherwise non malicious incursions have been proven to fall short of the current situation.

I really cannot say any more than that Airfield Operations are continuously doing everything within their powers to maintain a safe aerodrome.

An overreaction to a seemingly simple problem? Perhaps,
but the consequences of not doing enough are unthinkable.

Try and politicise it as much as you like, but at the end of the day, there is nothing more to this than a repeated, unauthorised incursion.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 21 December 2018, 23:58:57 »

Could it be a hologram?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 22 December 2018, 00:32:12 »

Could it be a hologram?
Stop heading the news/social media claptrap...

Walking around the accessible parts of the airport, you can't actually see that much of the critical area, let alone spotting something the size of a cat...

An insight...

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=576

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 22 December 2018, 00:53:36 »

Why can’t the signal be jammed? HMS Duncan warned Russian jets that they were flying a bit near and the ships radar could interfere with their electronics and fetch them down. (Sounded like a veiled threat to me).
Laying a rubber road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 22 December 2018, 01:00:32 »

Why can’t the signal be jammed? HMS Duncan warned Russian jets that they were flying a bit near and the ships radar could interfere with their electronics and fetch them down. (Sounded like a veiled threat to me).

Could be a bit tricky getting a Type 45 Destroyer to Gatwick in time though?  :-\   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.