Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oh.... the joys of omega ownership  (Read 5944 times)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
oh.... the joys of omega ownership
« on: 05 September 2010, 23:11:47 »

Just put in a new set of NGK plus on the V6 expecting to find nice dry plug wells, following new rocker cover gaskets and breather system cleaned... but instead found this...

after having to do this...

I love the mig but the workshop manual really should include the following statement in the maintenance schedule: "EVERY 250 MILES OR WEEKLY, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST... TEAR DOWN YOUR ENGINE BAY, REPLACE ROCKER COVER GASKETS & CLEAN BREATHERS" If it carries on i'll swap for a 4 pot  >:( any offers?
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Martin_1962

Re: oh.... the joys of omega ownership
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2010, 23:17:12 »

I had similar with my old N reg 2.0 ;D ;D

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2010, 23:36:21 »

just leave the plugs a little loose and the oil will be drawn in..

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2010, 00:33:26 »

Cant give anything constructive.

Just make sure your rocker gaskets are changed correctly.  :-/
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2010, 00:37:27 »

Posted by tapper888 Yesterday at 23:36
just leave the plugs a little loose and the oil will be drawn in..

no thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: 06 September 2010, 01:07:17 by silvercross1 »
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2010, 10:58:33 »

i know some say repair as vaux intended.. but my opinion is that the gasket design is crap.

plenty of quality sealant all the way around.

my edges dont leak but a couple of the bolt holes do.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2010, 11:01:55 »

i know some say repair as vaux intended.. but my opinion is that the gasket design is crap.

The design is fine if the correct parts and the correct procedure is followed. Simples ;)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2010, 11:03:00 »

Congratulations on obtaining your degreee in automotive design and adding on your 10 years plus of design experience.

Are you a plumber ?  ;D  (Sorry, joking)

The seal design is fine, now problems at all, they do go hard with time (like 8years plus)

The key thing is servicing, change the oil for good stuff regularly and the breathers dont block, up the gasket design and when they do you blow crank seals.....nice.

The fault here may be one of teh following:

Poor quality gaskets (are they Vx ones)
Fitting faults
Damaged cam covers
Breathers not fully clean

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2010, 11:07:52 »

there you go 24valve. criticise vaux design and get all the help you need.

:y

Jinglemaster2

« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2010, 12:49:05 »

The design is fine if the correct parts and the correct procedure is followed. Simples ;)

Design is CRAP. I wouldn't have another Omega is it was free. I like the forum. I like the people - even those who haven't bothered to say hello again - I like the banter, but the cars. No. Never and I do mean NEVER again.

I love playing around with cars or at least I did. But there is no small coincidence that since selling my last omega I also sold all my tools and haven't needed them since either.

Right. That should get the tongues wagging a bit.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2010, 12:49:24 by Jinglemaster2 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2010, 13:06:44 »

Design is CRAP. I wouldn't have another Omega is it was free. I like the forum. I like the people - even those who haven't bothered to say hello again - I like the banter, but the cars. No. Never and I do mean NEVER again.

I love playing around with cars or at least I did. But there is no small coincidence that since selling my last omega I also sold all my tools and haven't needed them since either.

Morning Ronnie, where did you spring from?  Soz, been in Sunny Cyprus, then Newent meet. What have I missed?  Come to your senses and bought another Omega?  ;D ;D ;D

The design is fine.  Mine have only leaked once on any v6 I've had, and that was the MV6 when it was around 7 or 8 years old. Never leaked since, or on any other V6.  The tractor used to weep near the front, but those BMW ones all do...
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2010, 13:24:36 »

;D ;D ;D :y

I would happily say that if I can find a customer ;D :'(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2010, 17:10:30 »

After I replaced mine I had oil in the plug wells on the next plug change (about 20k later) but this time there was none... Perhaps it's just some residual oil dropping down :-/ :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2010, 19:19:33 »

Too right the design is crap! OK, it might be possible to to fix a leaky V6 with a breather clean and some extortionally priced GM gaskets, but it is going to leak again at some point, in some cases sooner rather than later as you have found out :(
My advice is to stick some some aluminum Vectra covers on and you will have no further trouble.
Some people point out that doing this will cause your crank seals to leak,as the engine will be over pressurised and the cam cover seals act as some sort of primitive pressure relief valve,but in reality the only reason Omega cam cover seals leak is because they are a crap design that cannot cope with the inevitable increase in crankase pressure that occurs as an engine ages.(I bet theres not many Vectra owners that have fitted Omega covers to avoid blown crank seals ;D)
Nevertheless, it is still good advice to keep your breathers clean whatever covers you have fitted, and remember  that even if your crank seal blows(which it wont)it is better to have a few drips on the drive than have your plug wells full of oil and a smoke cloud eminating from your exhaust manifolds :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2010, 22:00:31 »

Too right the design is crap! OK, it might be possible to to fix a leaky V6 with a breather clean and some extortionally priced GM gaskets, but it is going to leak again at some point, in some cases sooner rather than later as you have found out :(
My advice is to stick some some aluminum Vectra covers on and you will have no further trouble.
Some people point out that doing this will cause your crank seals to leak,as the engine will be over pressurised and the cam cover seals act as some sort of primitive pressure relief valve,but in reality the only reason Omega cam cover seals leak is because they are a crap design that cannot cope with the inevitable increase in crankase pressure that occurs as an engine ages.(I bet theres not many Vectra owners that have fitted Omega covers to avoid blown crank seals ;D)
Nevertheless, it is still good advice to keep your breathers clean whatever covers you have fitted, and remember  that even if your crank seal blows(which it wont)it is better to have a few drips on the drive than have your plug wells full of oil and a smoke cloud eminating from your exhaust manifolds :y
I would urge anyone NOT to fit Vectra covers. They are a shite design. Ever wondered why v6 vectras suffer crank seal problems?

The standard Omega ones do seal perfectly fine. Its likely they may fail once at some point in the car's life. I would be surprised if they fail a 2nd time if the correct parts are used and correctly fitted.

The things seal properly if done properly, plain and simple.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.