Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Cooler  (Read 1465 times)

05omegav6

Oil Cooler
« on: 30 October 2013, 22:50:05 »

I need to change my thermostat and heater matrix and am wondering it is worth changing the oil cooler whilst I'm at it.

Car is fast approaching 260k miles, and is on its original cooler. I don't suspect it of leaking, but the car has a slight coolant leak, even when the climate control is off, or set to Lo. Do I...

1. Replace the cooler as a precaution on the grounds it will fail at some point.
2. Replace the cover plate, along with the seals, coolant bridge seals and hbv.
3. Nothing.

The current genuine oil cooler from Vauxhall is apparently plastic, which raises further questions, and can be had for £130...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2013, 22:51:51 »

Depends on coolant history really, if good coolant maintenance, should still be good?

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2013, 22:54:31 »

I don't usually advocate replacing things which aren't broken,but at that mileage it might be worth doing it. If you don't need to finish the job the same day you could dismantle first and inspect the cover plate before buying one ?
Plastic cooler you say ? Never heard of such a thing personally. :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2013, 23:15:06 »

Coolant history good, been effectively changed five times in my ownership(4.5 years), one waterpump change, one rad change, two hbv leaks and currently leaking heater matrix ::)

The plastic cooler is the latest revision to it... not sure what the pros and cons of it might be :-\
When did VX change from the aluminium cooler to a stainless steel one? Whether to change or not would depend partly on what is currently fitted :-\

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2013, 23:57:20 »

Coolant history good, been effectively changed five times in my ownership(4.5 years), one waterpump change, one rad change, two hbv leaks and currently leaking heater matrix ::)

The plastic cooler is the latest revision to it... not sure what the pros and cons of it might be :-\
When did VX change from the aluminium cooler to a stainless steel one? Whether to change or not would depend partly on what is currently fitted :-\

Mine is a 52 plate and it still had the ali one  >:( it now has the S/S one.  :), the S/S one was still availiable a few months ago.  :y
If you can get the S/S one then I would change it as you will be pissed if it goes and you have to do all the work after doing the other work.  :y

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2013, 00:05:32 »

Istr MarkDTM (or TB) saying a while back tht they were changed quite early in production - 96 ish ?
The stainless ones still leak though.Ive done several on 01/02 cars. Didn't know they were now using plastic versions. Certainly wont corrode,just hope the plastic is up to the daily drastic changes in temp.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2013, 00:13:20 »

Istr MarkDTM (or TB) saying a while back tht they were changed quite early in production - 96 ish ?
The stainless ones still leak though.Ive done several on 01/02 cars. Didn't know they were now using plastic versions. Certainly wont corrode,just hope the plastic is up to the daily drastic changes in temp.

Plastic parts on the rad and elsewhere are :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2013, 00:26:48 »

When they fail, how/where do they fail?

Could change the cover plate, and give the cooler the once over... if it's looking ropey I can get one soon enough :-\

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2013, 01:08:38 »

Not easy to tell from looking ime.They just spring a random leak from the weakest point I suppose.

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2013, 01:09:00 »

Plastic parts on the rad and elsewhere are :y

True. :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2013, 08:10:51 »

So again the myths and miss information are abound.

The original V6's fitted in 95 and early 96 had a mild steel cooler fitted, these had issues and were repalced by a stainless one. This was fitted from 96 onwards and the replacement you buy is the same.

The issue appears to be that people look at old coolerss and they appear a light brown colour which is more oftne than not rust staining.

A fundamental reason for failure is poor servicing with respect to the antifreeze.

Stainless corodes, period, and under certain conditions it corrodes very quickly (thankfuly not in the presence of good antifreezee) particularly in old antifreeze and neat water.

Al, if your going for 2 then you will probably end up doing 1 as often the rear nut that secures the cooler to the plate is seized resulting in stripped cooler threads and you cant get the cover out without detaching the cooler.

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2013, 10:22:12 »

Thanks Mark :y

Reading between the lines, my car has a stainless cooler, and given regular coolant changes, I needn't change it, but if the top plate is showing signs of corrosion/weepage, then I might as well change the cooler while it is out :-\

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2013, 10:23:44 »

On a side note, why are you changing the heater matrix?  It's a huge job unless you bodge it and cut the center console :-\

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2013, 10:25:50 »

Thanks Mark :y

Reading between the lines, my car has a stainless cooler, and given regular coolant changes, I needn't change it, but if the top plate is showing signs of corrosion/weepage, then I might as well change the cooler while it is out :-\

If the plate is leaking and needs resealing then I would change the cooler at the same time as well as replacing the bridge seals as they are likely to be sufficiently degraded that they would likely cause problems un reuse.

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 31 October 2013, 10:33:35 »

On a side note, why are you changing the heater matrix?  It's a huge job unless you bodge it and cut the center console :-\
It appears to have sprung a leak ::) losing a litre of coolant every fortnight, most of which seems to be in the drivers footwell...

As best as I can tell it is draining down the loom that runs straight across the footwell and being absorbed by the sound deadening before seeping up into the carpet.

Thermostat needs doing sharpish as well, so figured whilst that's out the oil cooler might be prudent
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.