Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloody houses .. and builders!  (Read 4746 times)

STEMO

Re: Bloody houses .. and builders!
« Reply #30 on: 12 September 2019, 11:47:47 »

I've scratched my itch with regards to owning an Alfa (ouch  :'() but I think I'll just have to stay itchy where JLR are concerned.

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2019, 11:52:45 »

Ahhhhh......my Alfa. 166, 3.2, pearlescent blue with red leather. What a noise, lovely car. Until it bit me!  ;D

Put that in the wrong thread originally  :-[

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 12 September 2019, 11:55:31 »

I rather feel that owning a JLR product is a bit like getting on a Ryanair flight - you knew what the deal was when you signed up. Although arguably "Land Rover - Above & beyond " is snappier than "Land Rover - I'm just going to set light to some £10 notes;D

File that under "Honest taglines" ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 September 2019, 12:23:00 »

when I want to replace the 'cloak room' toilet & basin, tile the walls & floor, I had trouble finding anyone that would do the whole thing. The room is only 6'x3' so you can only get one person in there at any one time but the different aspects needed to be worked together.
In the end I did it myself ..... it was the easiest option.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 September 2019, 13:14:44 »

Sorry to read this, Aaron. :-\

Sorting the 5% of genuinely good builders, from the 95% of cowboys who think the only qualification required to be a builder is to own a white van or flatbed, is not easy. :-\

Console yourself by getting the  Cobra up and running. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 13 September 2019, 09:14:33 »

That lot came off with no more than fingertip pressure, another one came off with no more than a gentle tug, and the one at the top left is only held on by the silicone sealant up the corner! The ones behind the towel radiator are also loose but held on by the towel radiator, ditto the ones behind the towel hooks. 13 tiles off the wall so far, probably another four that can come down easily.

I'll be honest, I'm tempted to (assuming I can find the same tiles .. I'm sure Wickes sold these as I had them at Bracknell, but they don't seem to be online anymore) just put the loose ones back up, glue the floor tile back together with that resin you can use to patch sinks and call it good - otherwise we're ripping the whole bathroom out and starting again, and I don't have the money for that!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 September 2019, 09:29:27 »

The 'dabs' at top right are a darker colour than the rest suggesting moisture has got in there or condensation has developed?
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 13 September 2019, 09:41:16 »

The 'dabs' at top right are a darker colour than the rest suggesting moisture has got in there or condensation has developed?

Yep, the top right - ironically not the first to fall off, but also loose - looks like it was affected when we had a central heating leak last year.. the ones that actually fell off, though, look unaffected (if you see what I mean). The darker ones were actually harder to pull off (fnarr) ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 September 2019, 13:07:06 »

Have you got enough complete tile to do as I suggested early on and make a section of mirror and put the rest back around it ?
you can get mirror cut to the exact size (I advise you ask for safety backing to be applied ;) ) from a local glass supplier  :-\

or buy a mirror from B n Poo ,Wickes etc and border it with a sheet of mosaic as a feature perhaps  :-\
this is very easy to do , and relatively cheap ,I doubt any similar tile you find would even be a close match , and then it would look odd .

then ,in a few years when you have the important jobs out the way (like getting your cars sorted  ;D) think about a remodel  :y

also, burning  new £10 notes will not generate enough heat to keep a JLR product happy ,try burning £50 notes which are paper and produce more heat , you could try £20 notes,( also paper ) but you will need more of them  ::)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 September 2019, 13:17:13 »

That lot came off with no more than fingertip pressure, another one came off with no more than a gentle tug, and the one at the top left is only held on by the silicone sealant up the corner! The ones behind the towel radiator are also loose but held on by the towel radiator, ditto the ones behind the towel hooks. 13 tiles off the wall so far, probably another four that can come down easily.

I'll be honest, I'm tempted to (assuming I can find the same tiles .. I'm sure Wickes sold these as I had them at Bracknell, but they don't seem to be online anymore) just put the loose ones back up, glue the floor tile back together with that resin you can use to patch sinks and call it good - otherwise we're ripping the whole bathroom out and starting again, and I don't have the money for that!
You might be able to get the same tiles but the trouble might be getting a colour match ?

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 September 2019, 12:52:00 »

my son bought a house that was newly built some 18yrs ago. they moved in on a friday afternoon but himself & partner went back to his girlfriends mums place for his tea & a shower before they went out to the local pub for a night out. from the pub they went to the newly acquired house. the next day whilst showering, water was pouring through living room ceiling . whoever had done the plumbing had not fixed the waste to anything.  also a front porch lamp was similar to a coach lamp & when the bulb actually went which had to be inserted from the top was too near the soffit for it to be removed & replaced

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 September 2019, 12:59:09 »

Reminds me of a buy-to-let I bought. I re-pressurised the combi boiler/heating system, and forgot I'd left the inlet tap on as I was checking the rest of the house. When I got back to the kitchen, the floor was flooded, the boiler installer, who had his name proudly displayed on the casing, had not bothered to connect the overpressure outlet on the top of the boiler to outside!!! King idiot. >:( ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.