Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC Years and Years  (Read 4005 times)

STEMO

Re: BBC Years and Years
« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2019, 20:58:21 »

I'd wager that if they scrapped the TV licence and instead did a NetFlix with the iplayer, but made it available internationally they'd raise much more cash.  :y
The bbc doesn't levy the tv license 'tax', the government does. You are taxed by the government for having a tv, but they contract the bbc to collect it.

I know that.  The government should scrap the TV Tax and tell the Beeb to sink or swim!  :)
Yep, agreed. But having said that, even though the system stinks, I think it's worth £13 a month to watch stuff like Serengeti which is just finishing on BBC1.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2019, 21:36:00 »

So you should have the option to pay to subscribe because you enjoy it. :y
And I should have the option to subscribe because im not fickin interested.  :y ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 04 July 2019, 21:37:24 »

And I should have the option to subscribe because im not fickin interested.  :y ;D
I haven't heard anyone say different.
I reckon your missus would put you right, anyway. Bet she watches it all the time.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 21:39:37 by STEMO »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 July 2019, 21:39:07 »

I'd wager that if they scrapped the TV licence and instead did a NetFlix with the iplayer, but made it available internationally they'd raise much more cash.  :y
The bbc doesn't levy the tv license 'tax', the government does. You are taxed by the government for having a tv, but they contract the bbc to collect it.

I know that.  The government should scrap the TV Tax and tell the Beeb to sink or swim!  :)
Yep, agreed. But having said that, even though the system stinks, I think it's worth £13 a month to watch stuff like Serengeti which is just finishing on BBC1.

How about a pay per view system?  ???

How much would you be prepared to pay for Serengeti? 50p? £1? £2?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2019, 21:41:12 »

That's not gonna work, my missus would spend £60 a month on Emmerdale and Corrie at £1 a pop.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2019, 21:47:11 »

That's not gonna work, my missus would spend £60 a month on Emmerdale and Corrie at £1 a pop.
At risk of asking a daft question ::) you do realise that both of those are on ITV?
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2019, 22:12:33 »

At risk of asking a daft question ::) you do realise that both of those are on ITV?
OOPS!  ;D ;D I'm sure you get my drift.  :-[

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2019, 22:44:47 »

I haven't heard anyone say different.
I reckon your missus would put you right, anyway. Bet she watches it all the time.

Everyone who believes in keeping the tv licence is saying different.
She watches Emmerdale and Corrie, same as your Mrs.  ::) :-X
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2019, 23:18:41 »

We are talking about £13 per month, 45p per day which allows free viewing of the BBC, then with the added bonus you can view all the other main channels, plus everything else on Freeview.

I would never pay the vastly inflated sums that Sky and Virgin demand to view all their channels, which is constantly getting more expensive.

To me 45p per day, not even enough to get a quarter pint of lager, is not worth bothering about. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the licence fee was scrapped, we would end up paying a lot more than that in other ways. ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2019, 23:56:54 »

.......Now, before anyone shouts at me about the non-BBC channels being "free", so without the licence fee everything would be great, well no, they are not free, nothing ever is, apart from the air we breath.

The commercial channels all fund their broadcasting and programme production from advertising. That revenue pays for it all, and it comes from companies who have often huge advertising budgets. Those budgets are funded from their trading revenue, which comes from the wholesale prices charged for their products or services having a percentage that is passed on to us, the consumers. That is of course part of the reason why branded products are more expensive than own brand ones. 

The advertising budget is paid for by us, and thus we can 'enjoy' the likes of productions such as love Island, Get me out of here, etc. Hey, and you men pay for us having the delights of Loose Women every week day!  ;D ;D ;)

But whether I like it or not when I buy my favourite product from a retailer I am often paying for a programme I would never in a million years watch .  Is that fair? Is it any fairer than paying 45p per day to watch BBC productions that I do most often watch?

So, as I say nothing is free on TV, but I would sooner pay the licence fee than have even more costs added to my weekly shopping bill, whilst the TV companies would really go down the American route of constant adverts throughout a BBC broadcast. The worst being when you are coming to the conclusion of a programme, the last few minutes to go, and they cut to adverts before going back for the last moments of the main programme. ;)
« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 00:00:45 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 July 2019, 00:03:06 »

We are talking about £13 per month, 45p per day which allows free viewing of the BBC, then with the added bonus you can view all the other main channels, plus everything else on Freeview.

I would never pay the vastly inflated sums that Sky and Virgin demand to view all their channels, which is constantly getting more expensive.

To me 45p per day, not even enough to get a quarter pint of lager, is not worth bothering about. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the licence fee was scrapped, we would end up paying a lot more than that in other ways. ;)
Or...
It's 2.5% of your state pension. Which is all that some people have to house, clothe and feed themselves with :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 July 2019, 00:36:04 »

Or...
It's 2.5% of your state pension. Which is all that some people have to house, clothe and feed themselves with :-X

It is 1.69% of my full state pension.

Yes, it is a cost.  But so is feeding the pets, smoking, drinking and the other pleasures that they decide to enjoy. But really poor pensioners get benefit help with rent, rates and enjoy free bus passes. Living though can be hard for these folk, and I do sympathise.

The fact is nothing is free as I stated above, and if there was no tv licence fee they, and the rest of us, would pay in other ways far more than 13p per day. ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 July 2019, 08:17:13 »

It isn't about how much it costs. Its about not being allowed the freedom to choose or not. Where else in the world do you have to pay to fund an organisation, and face being sent to jail if you refuse ?
Its a system that belongs in 1950,s Russia, not 21st century Britain. As Ive said many times, if its that good set it free in the commercial world and watch it make more money than all its rivals put together.  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 05 July 2019, 08:39:59 »

Or...

Wait, you mean you don't get it for free once you're that ancient, anymore?

Jeez, what is there left to live for if there's no free TV when you're old!?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 July 2019, 16:40:07 »

Or...

Wait, you mean you don't get it for free once you're that ancient, anymore?

Jeez, what is there left to live for if there's no free TV when you're old!?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, and we are talking of those over 75 years of age.  By then I expect we will all be in a new form of car home to free up badly needed housing for the young!  But at least we can all enjoy TV with only one fee shared between 20 residents! ;D ;D ;D ;)

................I joke, but I do wonder about that being a possibility especially after watching the BBC's Years and Years; it makes you think!! :o :o :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.