Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 250 mile range electric car  (Read 8050 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
250 mile range electric car
« on: 17 May 2018, 14:08:41 »

As the consultant injected anaesthetic into my head before digging out a biopsy, she enquired how I had collected the strange  pattern of head injuries. By bashing me head while working under my six Omegas, I told her.

She replied she had never heard of such a car, was it very old? Not very, I said.

She went on to tell me that a colleague is buying an electric car with a 250 mile range. I told her there was no such car, nor ever will be. All electric cars are basically mik floats, and should not stray far from their bases. They are fashion items, bought by rich fools who believe they are saving the environment by not emitting noxious gases, unaware that the electricity they use is generated by a nearby fossil fuel power station also emitting noxious gases into the atmosphere.

She sent me on my way with written instructions on how to treat the wound she had just created, and to consult my GP if it turned nasty.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: 250 mile range electric car
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2018, 14:29:26 »

Have you run out of your medication again, Terry?  ::)

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2018, 15:15:34 »

As the consultant injected anaesthetic into my head before digging out a biopsy, she enquired how I had collected the strange  pattern of head injuries. By bashing me head while working under my six Omegas, I told her.

She replied she had never heard of such a car, was it very old? Not very, I said.

She went on to tell me that a colleague is buying an electric car with a 250 mile range. I told her there was no such car, nor ever will be. All electric cars are basically mik floats, and should not stray far from their bases. They are fashion items, bought by rich fools who believe they are saving the environment by not emitting noxious gases, unaware that the electricity they use is generated by a nearby fossil fuel power station also emitting noxious gases into the atmosphere.

She sent me on my way with written instructions on how to treat the wound she had just created, and to consult my GP if it turned nasty.

Cars that run on electricity have no soul.......exactly as cars that run on cement mixer/narrow boat fuel. :)

An electric car is an appliance. It is white goods.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2018, 15:26:13 »

You old buggers, you!! :o :o :o ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You sound like those that thought the early motor cars were just a fad, would never come to nought,  as they did the first aeroplanes, and would never replace the horse! ;D ;D ;D

When you, and I have gone with our Omega's to the motorway in the sky, the new people will be scratching their heads in museums and wondering how the internal combustion engine lasted so long when it was so hard to maintain, dirty, and expensive to run with electric modes of transport now going thousands of miles on solar energy. :D :D

:-* :-* :y

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2018, 15:40:20 »

Sounds like it was you who turned nasty   ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2018, 15:48:51 »

Normally in this situation you need to work with them, so just put a load of Batteries in the Boot of the Omega, enough so you cant get any Shopping in there, and tell Her its been converted to an Electric Hybrid, then when She is in the Car drive around everywhere at 15 Mph,    .... She'll soon get bored with it all.

Remember the Golden Rule, Woman - the Machine isn't broken, its just running a different Operating System. 

« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 15:52:13 by zirk »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2018, 18:11:31 »

Most of the Tesla Range will do that :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2018, 19:31:08 »

Cars that run on electricity have no soul.......exactly as cars that run on cement mixer/narrow boat fuel. :)

I am very happy with both of mine. If you put your foot down hard you can escape the noxious black cloud that appears behind 8)

My front top tooth fell out recently. It was installed in the 80's by Gossage ( a long dead rich Aussie). That day I remember joking  with him that I had had a bad day culminating in scraping someones new red Supra in the car park. Probably not the best joke to pull. I hope you recover from your head wound Terry.   :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2018, 20:15:14 »

Gotta love a white goods thread!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2018, 20:57:57 »

Gotta love a white goods thread!  :y
Just check the fuse ,and fix the loose connection  ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2018, 21:27:12 »

In 2018, both Kia and Hyundai will release models with a real world range of 260-300miles in the uk (weather dependent). So it’s hardly stuff of the distant future.

One of our directors is a NED at Dyson and their stated aim is a 1000 mile range ev by 2022. In a relatively short period of time evs will be quicker, more reliable and equally/more convenient than fossil powered cars.

I think there is a great temptation to confuse noise with excitement and unreliability with character when it comes to motor vehicles.

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2018, 21:33:43 »

If you could, theoretically, get close to 1000 miles with an ev, it would solve the problem of people unable to have a charging point at home. One charge at, say, a dedicated charging station, would do most people for a month.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2018, 21:47:19 »

I agree it seems far fetched. But they do at a very senior level genuinely believe it’s possible, and that level of belief tends to only come from a lot of background research.

We shall have to see. But tbh 1000 miles is just excessive for most people. Even if you charged it weekly, that’s over 50k miles/year. Even if you always wanted to keep 200 miles in reserve and only charged it at the weekends, that’s still 40k/yr.

In the main people’s perception of their needs far exceeds what they actually are. It’s like off-roading in a defender, 99% of the routes could be completed with a modicum of skill in a Suzuki jimny.  ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2018, 22:14:38 »

I agree it seems far fetched. But they do at a very senior level genuinely believe it’s possible, and that level of belief tends to only come from a lot of background research.

We shall have to see. But tbh 1000 miles is just excessive for most people. Even if you charged it weekly, that’s over 50k miles/year. Even if you always wanted to keep 200 miles in reserve and only charged it at the weekends, that’s still 40k/yr.

In the main people’s perception of their needs far exceeds what they actually are. It’s like off-roading in a defender, 99% of the routes could be completed with a modicum of skill in a Suzuki jimny.  ::)

Or being blunt 99% of offroading doesnt need a 4x4. Same as 99% of journeys dont need a v8
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2018, 22:51:36 »

I can load 75 litres of petrol into my car in 5 minutes Each litre on combustion releases 10kWh of energy, so I download 75 X 10 = 750 kWh in 5 minutes.

30 amps at 250 volts is 7.5 kilowatts, so charging off the 250 volt mains at 30 amps downloads 7.5 kilowatts; in an hour it downloads 7.5 kWh.

So to download the energy I pop into my Omega in 5 minutes I could charge into my electric car in 100 hours.

I suspect special domestic charging points charge at a higher rate, but at 100 amps it only comes down to 30 hours. 100 amps necessitate rewiring to house and garage, possibly the street and grid if we all do it, and building more power stations.

Think about it, check my sums. Or conside: instead of burning all that petrol in cars, you have to burn it at the power stations, and transmit the power to all the charging points.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.