Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tow ing  (Read 1130 times)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
Tow ing
« on: 02 July 2009, 20:18:10 »

I am at work and I have been asked if I know is it ok to tow a car (general) with a tow rope or do you now need to tow with a pole type towing device .
 I guess someone will have an answer , even my silly question get answered on here  :-[ :y

chrisl_1960

• cambs
  • why didnt I get a V6
    • View Profile
Re: Tow ing
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2009, 20:32:11 »

dont think there are any issues with a rope, but the pole/frames seem to be safer

KillerWatt

« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2009, 20:32:34 »

You can still tow with a rope, although it's quite possible there is some legislation that says you have to have a red marker midway along the rope (worth bearing in mind considering how anal the old bill can get these days if they haven't made the monthly target).

Also bear in mind that the vehicle doing the towing has to have a kerbside weight that is equal to, or greater than the vehicle being towed.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2009, 20:45:55 »

Done a bit of Googling ....  :)

https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q558.htm

When the vehicles are attached solely by a rope or chain, the maximum distance allowed between the vehicles is 4.5 metres.

If the distance between the two vehicles exceeds 1.5 metres then the rope or chain must be made clearly visible within a reasonable distance from either side to other road users. This is usually done by tying a coloured flapping cloth in the middle of the rope or chain.

The person in the broken down vehicle must be a qualified driver as he is actually driving the vehicle. A further point is that if it is dark then the broken down vehicle must have its lights on as it would under normal circumstances.

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/information/InfoCentre/ItemDetails.aspx?sid=1527

There is no minimum length of tow rope or chain but the maximum length is 4.5m. Any tow rope longer than 1.5m must be marked to alert other road users. One way of doing this is to attach one or more brightly coloured ties to the rope. The law does not specify the type of rope or chain to be used.

http://www.traffic-answers.co.uk/motorways.htm#tow

If your vehicle is capable of being towed safely then you can arrange for a friend or relative to come and tow you with a normal towrope. There is no law against towing on the motorway as long as it is done safely and within the 60 mph speed limit for cars and trailers.

HTH  :)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2009, 21:01:46 »

Again thanks for the replies  :y
Is that last one about being towed on the motorway correct though .
 Maybe H21 could shed some light please  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2009, 23:24:01 »

Personally I wouldn't use a rope for anything other than an emergency!

In fact, that was how I interpreted the law, especially as I thought the max speed was 40 mph.

I also thought a rope couldn't be used on the motorway except in an emergency to get to a place of safety, i.e. The next exit.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2009, 23:35:44 »

In fact, that was how I interpreted the law, especially as I thought the max speed was 40 mph.

I also thought a rope couldn't be used on the motorway except in an emergency to get to a place of safety, i.e. The next exit.

So did I .. but I now believe that is the ADVICE but not the law ... although methinks it should be.....
« Last Edit: 02 July 2009, 23:57:28 by entwood »

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2009, 23:51:56 »

So did I .. but I know believe that is the ADVICE but not the law ... although methinks it should be.....

Yes, I always thought you had to leave the motorway and first opportunity........ :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.