Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How can this be  (Read 3314 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: How can this be
« Reply #15 on: 21 October 2018, 11:17:56 »

when you don't have a disc in the window anymore it could have been a genuine error. I genuinely thought one of my cars was MOT'd, it was only when I wanted to tax it earlier this year, that I realised its MOT had run out about 10 months previously.  :-[ :-[

I agree.......and still have a tax disc.

Car tax dodgers and the loss of revenue are far more common since the demise of the tax disc.

The extra revenue raised from the double taxing of cars when they are bought and sold probably makes up for this. ::)

The government wouldn't stoop so low. ::) ::) ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2018, 11:53:23 »

when you don't have a disc in the window anymore it could have been a genuine error. I genuinely thought one of my cars was MOT'd, it was only when I wanted to tax it earlier this year, that I realised its MOT had run out about 10 months previously.  :-[ :-[

I agree.......and still have a tax disc.

Car tax dodgers and the loss of revenue are far more common since the demise of the tax disc.

The extra revenue raised from the double taxing of cars when they are bought and sold probably makes up for this. ::)

The government wouldn't stoop so low. ::) ::) ;)

Of course not, because the technology isn't available to calculate the tax on a daily basis rather than monthly.  :-X

Sound familiar?  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2018, 18:33:35 »

Not entirely true...

DVLA do their own enforcement. No tax/MoT is merely used as an excuse to stop already suspicious people.

The police only specifically target tax evasion if the DVLA request it.

This is unchanged from previous.

I was explaining how the police can, and do, physically stop cars when their inboard ANPR system "pings" and highlights a car they are behind or passing is uninsured, untaxed or is not registered.  Their systems are linked to the central DVLA computer records. Often though the car they have stopped for those reasons has a driver or/and occupants with a lot more to hide.

The DVLA system cannot itself stop a vehicle being illegally driven on the road for whatever reason, but they send letters out for non-payment of Excise Duty (only) and also have the vans out scanning for untaxed vehicles.  When they come across one their systems gives a "authorised" instruction to the DVLA inspector and they clamp the offending vehicle.

The DVLA can never do anything physically about an uninsured, unlicensed driver, in maybe a non-MOT'd vehicle, so that is when the police officers do their legal duty to bring criminal charges to bear and often seize the vehicle. :D
Again, not strictly true...

Vehicle Enforcement Policy – Gov.uk
PDFhttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk › ...

And..

Table 1 – DVLA enforcement of vehicle tax, registration and insurance ...
PDFhttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk › ...

Yes, the police have the ability to act independently on the offence and expeditely report it, as do various local authority departments, but ultimately, it's up to the DVLA to deal with each offence as the department responsible for collecting revenue.  ;)

All that changes nothing about the facts concerning the police explained in my two previous posts ;) ;)

It only goes to prove that the DVLA are failing to reduce the numbers of untaxed and non-MOT'd vehicles on the road if everyone is relying on them doing it at a distance via the post or using their limited number of ANPR vans with clamps.

It will always be the police who will physically stop the number of illegal vehicles on the road, often with criminals inside, but they are severely hampered by the aforementioned lack of traffic officers out there. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2018, 19:21:00 »

but they are severely hampered by the aforementioned lack of traffic officers out there. ;)
Its the local constabulary's choice to reduce traffic officers in favour of mobile cash machines.

So you can guess where you may find sympathy.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 October 2018, 10:21:58 »

The Police started the policy of withdrawing from walking the streets during the 70,s and by the mid 80,s were mainly to be seen driving around in cars rather than walking the beat.
It then became less and less common to see Police anywhere and we were all asking for them to be put back out on patrol rather than being chained to desks filling in paperwork.
Traffic policing was all but abolished in many places long before the cuts. Failure to attend burglaries and other similar crimes was quite common before the cuts.
Of course the cuts havent helped one bit, but they havent been responsible for the kind of policing we have in the UK today. That is the responsibility of Politicians and Senior police who spent much more time at Uni than they ever did policing communities.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2018, 10:26:31 »

The fatal disease of management the world over :'(
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.