Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ECP - cheapy discs!  (Read 3116 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
ECP - cheapy discs!
« on: 22 July 2020, 10:40:02 »

I'm currently pricing up parts for an incoming project. As I'm hopping about the EuroCrapArt site, I notice that they currently list "Eicher" brand front discs for £16.99 each (under £35 a pair by my maths, damn single pricing).

I'm hoping A- not to need to buy any yet, and B- that I can find some ATE's in the first instance, but £35 a pair. Anyone fancy trying them and see how long they last before becoming ridiculously juddery?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: ECP - cheapy discs!
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2020, 10:49:49 »

did nearly 10k miles on the set I fitted to my car before I sold it. No problems, although I doubt they would have done the 60k miles that the previous set of discs and pads did - whatever they were!

Used them on other cars with no problems either.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2020, 19:05:40 »

The last 'cheap' discs I bought were from Brakes International for my Senator. One was 'warped within 4000 miles so as there was so little mileage on the other replaced a single disc ..... I got another 3/4000 miles before I had the same problem. Brakes International didn't want to know .... 8d apparently fitted them wrong. I had Vauxhall fit a pair of OE discs .... sorted.
Ever since, I've bought OE. Cheaper & easier in the end.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2020, 10:41:05 »

If you are on a budget, I would certainly consider fitting Comline brake discs. I have fitted several sets now to different vehicles, and am very pleased with them with no subsequent brake issues.
Their discs are coated which prevents the unsightly premature rusting of the hub area of the disc, and require no preparation prior to fitting. The purchase cost is very reasonable, and my experience is that they bed in nicely, with a good pedal feel within a relatively short distance. They supply pads in the Comline name and also Allied Nippon. There is no difference in the quality of the two, just different brand names. They are UK company based in Luton, with an informative website. Unfortunately, they don't produce vented rears for the Omega so I have used ATE.
No doubt Comline wil be 'pooh poohed' by some who have not even experienced them; however, from my own personal experience, I cannot fault them, and have used them previously on several difference makes of vehicle.
But everyone has differing experiences of different vehicle components...
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2020, 13:17:20 »

I've used Eicher on various cheap cars recently without any dramas
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2020, 17:29:15 »

If you are on a budget, I would certainly consider fitting Comline brake discs. I have fitted several sets now to different vehicles, and am very pleased with them with no subsequent brake issues.
Their discs are coated which prevents the unsightly premature rusting of the hub area of the disc, and require no preparation prior to fitting. The purchase cost is very reasonable, and my experience is that they bed in nicely, with a good pedal feel within a relatively short distance. They supply pads in the Comline name and also Allied Nippon. There is no difference in the quality of the two, just different brand names. They are UK company based in Luton, with an informative website. Unfortunately, they don't produce vented rears for the Omega so I have used ATE.
No doubt Comline wil be 'pooh poohed' by some who have not even experienced them; however, from my own personal experience, I cannot fault them, and have used them previously on several difference makes of vehicle.
But everyone has differing experiences of different vehicle components...

I fitted Comline discs and pads on my Mondeo and would also recommend for the reasons above and also the price was good.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2020, 17:49:18 »

Johnny. Where did you get the ATE discs from? :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2020, 17:19:26 »

£172.61 for F&R disks pads and shoes plus new sensors. :-\

Saw a mention of a discount code  (CODE60) but dont see an option to apply. ::)

Not ready yet as the car has been parked up during lockdown and might stay that way quite a while longer yet. :(

How do the Pagid and Brembo items compare. :)

After sufering brake fade a few years ago it's one item I wouldnt skimp on these days, Other than Vx originals I quite like the Apec stuff. :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2020, 17:59:58 »

In which case just buy Apec from your local factors. The price is unlikely to be more expensive than Eurocarparts with the code applied (which is done at checkout  ;):y
Onanists always think outside the box.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2020, 18:55:11 »

I've got Pagid on the ex-plod. Even with my ambitious driving style they more than keep their performance.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2020, 19:23:43 »

£172.61 for F&R disks pads and shoes plus new sensors. :-\ ...

That doesn't sound too bad to me ... . :-\ Mercedes charged around £100 for just the front pads for my R Class

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2020, 19:44:48 »

In which case just buy Apec from your local factors. The price is unlikely to be more expensive than Eurocarparts with the code applied (which is done at checkout  ;):y

Found the discount code.  40% off brakes till the end of the month.    6 hours and counting to decide.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2020, 20:07:59 »

Found the discount code.  40% off brakes till the end of the month.    6 hours and counting to decide.
A genuine GM disc/pad kit can be had for circa £135 :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2020, 09:48:49 »

How do the Pagid and Brembo items compare. :)

After sufering brake fade a few years ago it's one item I wouldnt skimp on these days, Other than Vx originals I quite like the Apec stuff. :y
Both Pagid and Brembo (well, Brembo that ECP sell) are budget parts, though both I would put above Apec, which in my experience are pretty dire - though some people might say I'm hard on brakes.

The fronts are the ones that take the beating (although the rears get a good workout if you thrash the TC), so given the relatively difference in cost, I'd always fit GM on the fronts.

Working in Milton Keynes, when I used to drive an Omega, genuine GM would take one hell of a beating before fading.  There aren't many public roads that are more of a test than the MK grid roads.
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2020, 10:04:00 »

Johnny. Where did you get the ATE discs from? :y

I bought them off Ebay from mister-auto-uk  They were delivered from outside the UK, but came via DPD within a few days. £69 for the pair delivered. The ATE part no. to search for them is 24.0120-0171.1  Other suppliers have them listed but at higher prices.
They are coated as well, and I am very pleased with them.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.