Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Double Parking  (Read 3748 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Double Parking
« on: 13 January 2017, 22:09:45 »

Double parking to protect your car, Do you personally do it?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/selfish-driver-defends-bad-parking-9607250?ICID=FB_mirror_main

I don't blame anyone for doing it, Car space sizes are ridiculously out dated, It's all about cramming as much Cars/People as possible so these shops or whatever to gain the maximum amount of customers. That's all well and good but some car parks just take the p**s extremely narrow especially those 10-20+ years old. Cars get bigger, car parks remain the same. Not a good recipe.

Would i double park, That's a tough one to answer. If you do double park you are painting a great big bullseye on your car! ...Tbh I've not seen many double parking around here.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Double Parking
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2017, 22:18:17 »

I do, but a little more subtly than the bloke in the news. I put the near side tyres on/over the left of the space such that there's not enough room to park to my nearside ...... And ... unless I get a parent & toddler space (they weren't around years ago when mine were little & there aren't enough of them now I'm a grand dad) I need space on my side to get out & space on the near side to get my grand daughter out on the near side. R Class are big cars  :y

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2017, 22:29:54 »

Never .
I ALWAYS park at the furthest away part of a car park with as much space around the car as possible although that still doesn't guarantee idiots still parking next to me.
Here in SW Ireland the majority of people treat cars as a throw away commodity and care not what condition theirs or yours are in.
Twice over Xmas my wife's new Yeti was struck my the door of a diagonal parker when I was sitting in it .When I pointed out what they had done ,inc the mark on the road dirt, they just blatently denied it .One I cursed publicly ,the other I found his car a couple days later and returned the favour when driving my van.........
I absolutely despise careless ,selfish parkers.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2017, 22:37:52 »

the other I found his car a couple days later and returned the favour when driving my van.........

Ooopsie daisy!  ::) ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2017, 23:21:46 »

Encountered this appalling effort earlier...

So I did the only decent thing and parked in the three quarters of the space that they weren't using ::)

Onanists always think outside the box.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2017, 23:42:21 »

You are a brave man parking alongside that cretin . I'd be afraid they'd ding your door in spite .
A plant hire owning friend of mine has an old Landcruiser that is only washed for it's annual test and is covered in cooshtie, deisel mud and algae....thats the beast to park next to those 'kers.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2017, 23:47:04 »

I did take about 40 pictures and was expecting some shit when I got back to the car... all unfounded as they had gone when I returned, and not so much as a spec of paint out of place 8)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2017, 00:10:13 »

Not as such.

However I will either park as far away from everyone as possible or, if I spot someone who has done it, I will park very close to the line in the space one away from them - thereby making the space between us very difficult to access. I suspect this isn't actually any better than double parking. But it does make me immune from a parking ticket for parking outside of a marked bay.

The bottom line is that people today don't generally give a crap about their cars. They are appliances which you swap every 3yrs for one because it allows you to instagram a picture of your lunch from the drivers seat, or some other equally worthwhile feature.

Consequently, they care about your car even less than theirs. I've had people run handbags down the side of my car, bash mirrors etc, all through casual thoughtlessness. If I owned a genuinely expensive or rare car, I'd probably double park it.

A ticket is cheaper than paying Aston Martin for paint correction after all!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2017, 00:17:38 »

On a separate note. Which cretin wrote that article

In fact, Luke claims numerous of his friends use the trick.

Jessica, a 37-year-old cleaner, who was out shopping when she spotted Luke's Astra, said she understands why he doesn't but does not condone it.

My grammar isn't perfect, but I'd be damn sure to at least give a piece of my writing the once again vet if it was going on a national newspaper's website. Even if it was the Mirror ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2017, 00:19:59 »

Don't see the problem with the priciple of double parking as long as you buy and clearly display 2 tickets... yes it's still seen as selfish, but morally, you're not taking the piss...

Same principle on flights... don't want to sit next to someone else? Buy two adjacent seats ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2017, 00:20:23 »

Well it was the Mirror ::)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2017, 00:48:45 »

The general standard of driving where I live is so bad that the parking spaces are generally huge, so taking two spaces just isn't needed.

Bad driving ? What does that mean in Wales ?

Ignoring red lights is normal. NOT just by boy racers but by all drivers

Parking on double yellow lines  - Normal

Not indicating - Normal

Frantic horn tooting - Normal, as you always see your mates walking along the road

Driving too fast - normal on the A40 and A48 as you're English and in a hurry to get back from your holiday home

Overtaking on bends - Normal also on the A40 as nothing ever comes the other way. Does it ? See orbituaries

Driving too fast and overtaking on bends - Normal everywhere as you're a farmers son who doesn't get "any" and so has to let off steam somehow

Driving too slow - normal, when your 80 something and should not be driving at all

Unable to reverse or park - Normal. See above

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2017, 08:36:55 »

I can't blame him, people now days don't care a fook, only last week I came back to get in my car, and noticed a bloke park next to mine so I waited a bit, walked up, as he got out of his badly parked mini, opened his door into mine, I said to the bloke excuse me you just hit my car with your door, his reply no I didn't, I retorted I just watched you do it, there was no damage its just the I don't care attitude,,,, I did notice he had a flat tyre as I left,  :P
Hoof'land storeman.

powerslinky

« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2017, 12:05:43 »

I can't blame him, people now days don't care a fook, only last week I came back to get in my car, and noticed a bloke park next to mine so I waited a bit, walked up, as he got out of his badly parked mini, opened his door into mine, I said to the bloke excuse me you just hit my car with your door, his reply no I didn't, I retorted I just watched you do it, there was no damage its just the I don't care attitude,,,, I did notice he had a flat tyre as I left,  :P

Like it BG . . ;D ;D ;D  was only flat at the bottom though was it not ?  ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2017, 13:30:08 »

I actively look in carparks for people parking like idiots, and ensure I park bang in the middle of the white lines next to them, drivers side, often just a rizzla between us.

Its the only entertainment I get nowadays....
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.