Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: British airways  (Read 4912 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
British airways
« on: 07 August 2019, 13:16:06 »

Not going well for them.

The other day they had a plane full of smoke due to a “technical issue” as it came in to land at Valencia. Is a fire a technical issue?

Now it is a failure of two computer systems . 100 flights cancelled. Whatever happened to having “ back up systems”?

Imagine when we are all stationary in our autonomous cars because of failure of a computer system.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

Re: British airways
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2019, 14:02:23 »

Is a fire a technical issue?

I imagine it counts as one ..

Whatever happened to having “ back up systems”?

They outsourced them to India, I imagine, along with everything else. This is what you get.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2019, 15:43:35 »

There's nothing British about British airways.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2019, 15:46:35 »

Plus side is theve good some cheap Flights on Offer at the mo with BA if you know where to find them.  ;)

im currently looking at BA Flights to Hong Kong £399 Return in December, wouldnt mind going back there again for a few Days then use HK as a Hub for cheap Local Filghts, ie Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia etc few days in each before returning back to HK for a couple of Nights then returning Home.

Did this a few years back with Lufthansa to HK, think I paid £360 Return then, cheap way to have an Alternative Christmas and New Years.  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2019, 15:48:32 »

Did this a few years back with Lufthansa to HK, think I paid £360 Return then, cheap way to have an Alternative Christmas and New Years.  :)

With some of those destinations, you just have to be careful you don't come back with a dose of the "gift that keeps on giving" .. ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2019, 15:50:22 »

With some of those destinations, you just have to be careful you don't come back with a dose of the "gift that keeps on giving" .. ;D
You mean like the one my Mate caught a few years back when visited London for a while for work.  ::) ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2019, 18:51:30 »

They outsourced them to India, I imagine, along with everything else. This is what you get.
Indeed, they had virtually no IT issues when their IT was in house, based near Heathrow.

Since outsourcing it to more "cost effective" countries, they have had a major hack (for which they are looking at a £180m fine), and now 2 separate systems failing.

As those that work in this sector of the industry, whilst some individuals may be good, on the whole, these outsourcing to low cost countries (ex soviet bloc parts of Europe, India and the far East) will categorically, definitely, guaranteed end up as a complete fuster cluck.  But it is cheap...   ...until you consider the impacts of each balls up.

Now go and do the needful.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2019, 18:52:55 »

There's nothing British about British airways.
This.

They're run by a bloke who used to run a budget Spanish airline. And it shows. I find Lufthansa to be superior in almost every respect. And I don't often praise ze Germans!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2019, 19:18:10 »

Emirates!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2019, 20:24:14 »

Not going well for them.

The other day they had a plane full of smoke due to a “technical issue” as it came in to land at Valencia. Is a fire a technical issue?

Now it is a failure of two computer systems . 100 flights cancelled. Whatever happened to having “ back up systems”?

Imagine when we are all stationary in our autonomous cars because of failure of a computer system.
Big difference between smoke and fumes. All though the fumes in question aren't great as they're bled air, so potentially quite oily.  ;)

The results can be quite spectacular given the scope of the ducting and vents throughout the cabin ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2019, 20:26:33 »

With these low cost countries you do get optional extras from your data being there, like they can 'fix' your PC, Mobile or tablet with these simple steps over the phone, send you lots of malware in our emails etc. If you are paid a few dollars a day it would be 'criminal' not to use the data for 'profitable' activities. :o ::) :-X
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2019, 21:43:47 »

Not going well for them.

You have to be very careful to ensure that your 'back up system' doesn't complicate the ordinary system so badly that neither work properly. That requires proper engineers who can tell the management/regulators to opps off at the right time. When this is done badly, we end up with the 737Max.....

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2019, 22:33:44 »

With these low cost countries you do get optional extras from your data being there, like they can 'fix' your PC, Mobile or tablet with these simple steps over the phone, send you lots of malware in our emails etc. If you are paid a few dollars a day it would be 'criminal' not to use the data for 'profitable' activities. :o ::) :-X

Very true.
Laying a rubber road.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2019, 22:49:27 »

Emirates!  :y
Damn strait.

Best airline I've flown with by a country mile and my only choice when going long haul east of the meridian.  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2019, 22:56:39 »

You have to be very careful to ensure that your 'back up system' doesn't complicate the ordinary system so badly that neither work properly. That requires proper engineers who can tell the management/regulators to opps off at the right time. When this is done badly, we end up with the 737Max.....

I suspect there is significantly more to this story than just the interaction of the backup flight computer with the two active ones... and it goes all the way back to the design of the aircraft. Which is why the whole fleet is still grounded. If I had to lay a modest wager, I'd say that Boeing are trying to find a way out of changing the engine parameters on the entire fleet. Tricky, given that they made complete mugs of the FAA when they put the design into service.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2019, 22:59:27 by jimmy944 »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.