Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oh.... the joys of omega ownership  (Read 5949 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: oh.... the joys of omega ownership
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2010, 19:09:01 »

so while the engine is out, I should change them? ::)
Yes. Slap a pair of Vectra covers on, you know it makes sense :y
I would personally, strongly advise against that.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2010, 19:16:10 »

you'd never buy an omega ever again??? what wud u buy instead? lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Jinglemaster2

« Reply #32 on: 09 September 2010, 21:25:33 »

I presume that is for me. :)

Well, since Omega 20 or was it 21 was sold, I have owned a number of cars. Ford Galaxy 2.3 Zetec LPG Auto - cracking car and one of the most comfortable I have driven. Also, Landrover Discovery - utter crap, Mitsubishi Shogun x 3, 2x v6's and 1x 2.8TD - cracking cars.

As for comparable to the Omega, I by chance bought a Renault laguna 3.0v6 Executive last November. Unlike any omega I owned, everything works, it has no rust anywhere at all, it is 100% reliable, has more toys, drives beautifully and for a 3.0v6 Auto, it gives me up to 36mpg depending on what I am doing.

In the 10 months we have owned it I have done two things to it. 1, put a new tyre on after it got a puncture. 2, MoT'd it. That is it.

I have not had to look at handbrakes not working, wishbones, rocker gaskets, door check straps, non working pixels on the computer, oil coolers, radiators. In fact. Nothing whatsoever. Just put petrol in and enjoy - just like it was meant to be.

Now, before anyone says anything, I would NEVER ever have bought a Luguna. I always hated them, heard they were ultra unreliable etc etc, but due to breaking the Galaxy I needed anything Automatic the next day. It was all I could find. Never intended to actually keep it more than the time it took the V5 to come back.

But after driving it 400+ miles the day after buying it without it missing a beat, with the cruise on, listening to the CD multichanger with the climate keeping the cabin just as I wanted, with the sumptuous electric leather seats, I decided to keep it a bit longer.

Some bone-end caught the front bumper 3 weeks in to owning, which cost his insurers £500, so the car actually stands me at £100. can't go wrong.

As for my comment about never owning an omega again. Yes, I stand by that. Number of reasons. I had 20+ of them so had enough to last me a lifetime. They are old now and obviously getting older by the day. Newest ones are 7 years old. And, if I am honest, I have gone right off any car that I need to have a 4 post ramp and an indsutrial supply of Snap on tools at the ready 24/7.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 September 2010, 21:43:17 »

i know some say repair as vaux intended.. but my opinion is that the gasket design is crap.

plenty of quality sealant all the way around.

my edges dont leak but a couple of the bolt holes do.
The design is fine if the correct parts and the correct procedure is followed. Simples ;)

Design is CRAP. I wouldn't have another Omega is it was free. I like the forum. I like the people - even those who haven't bothered to say hello again - I like the banter, but the cars. No. Never and I do mean NEVER again.

I love playing around with cars or at least I did. But there is no small coincidence that since selling my last omega I also sold all my tools and haven't needed them since either.

Right. That should get the tongues wagging a bit.
Morning Ronnie, where did you spring from?  Soz, been in Sunny Cyprus, then Newent meet. What have I missed?  Come to your senses and bought another Omega?  ;D ;D ;D

The design is fine.  Mine have only leaked once on any v6 I've had, and that was the MV6 when it was around 7 or 8 years old. Never leaked since, or on any other V6.  The tractor used to weep near the front, but those BMW ones all do...
No they don't :P ;D
Retired

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2010, 22:03:34 »

I have not had to look at handbrakes not working, wishbones, rocker gaskets, door check straps, non working pixels on the computer, oil coolers, radiators. In fact. Nothing whatsoever. Just put petrol in and enjoy - just like it was meant to be.
Much like all my Omegas then, except Tractor that was bought with an engine issue, and handbrake on MV6 (fussy MOTer).

Do a jobs properly on the Omega, it seems to be a reliable, cheap to run motor. Petrol aside, obviously.  It would appear that the Omega doesn't take so kindly to always being bodged, but then I guess a lot of high mileage motors are the same.

My feelings are that the Omega's weak point, particularly prefacelift, is rust prevention. Or lack of.

Mechanically, they are generally decent cars for the age/mileage, and stnning value still.
Grumpy old man

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 September 2010, 22:03:37 »

i know some say repair as vaux intended.. but my opinion is that the gasket design is crap.

The design is fine if the correct parts and the correct procedure is followed. Simples ;)

Design is CRAP. I wouldn't have another Omega is it was free. I like the forum. I like the people - even those who haven't bothered to say hello again - I like the banter, but the cars. No. Never and I do mean NEVER again.

I love playing around with cars or at least I did. But there is no small coincidence that since selling my last omega I also sold all my tools and haven't needed them since either.

My same gasket was done three times and still leaked; all in three months; I like tinkering too but it got too much and I also love the forum and people but the Omega had to go.

Bought another car.....which then needed a new engine....

OOF is the best forum.  I liked the Omega and after a huge amount of work (see link on my footnote) it got me to Poland fully loaded in all that snow last Christmas without issue even at minus 20, but it was the rattling cams, the leaking again and the low 20s mpg which sent it on its way.

Problem is that I have always used smaller cars which are simpler and cheaper to run and I dared to speak my mind and say that I would much prefer a (new) Skoda Superb and then softly criticise some of the Omega's characteristics on an Omega site.
I now get blanked by many  :-X

You are braver than I  being so bold.  I think the Omega has many good points, but it does not suit me  :y
« Last Edit: 09 September 2010, 22:04:58 by geoffharvey »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 September 2010, 22:05:42 »

My same gasket was done three times and still leaked; all in three months; I like tinkering too but it got too much and I also love the forum and people but the Omega had to go.

OOF is the best forum.  I liked the Omega and after a huge amount of work it got me to Poland fully loaded in all that snow last Christmas without issue even at minus 20, but it was the rattling cams, the leaking again and the low 20s mpg which sent it on its way.

Problem is that I have always used smaller cars which are simpler and cheaper to run and I dared to speak my mind and say that I would much prefer a (new) Skoda Superb and then softly criticise some of the Omega's characteristics on an Omega site.

You are braver than I  being so bold.  I think the Omega has many good points, but it does not suit me  :y
Struggling to remember, yours was a 2.5 wasn't it?  Low 20s mpg is appalling for that, unless its an auto, and you only drive around town?
Grumpy old man

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 September 2010, 22:08:42 »

OOF is the best forum.  I liked the Omega and after a huge amount of work it got me to Poland fully loaded in all that snow last Christmas without issue even at minus 20, but it was the rattling cams, the leaking again and the low 20s mpg which sent it on its way.

Struggling to remember, yours was a 2.5 wasn't it?  Low 20s mpg is appalling for that, unless its an auto, and you only drive around town?

Fully fettled 2.2 auto-see link, 27-30 on a long flat run, 23-25 average driven like a nun  :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 September 2010, 22:10:00 »

Fully fettled 2.2 auto-see link, 27-30 on a long flat run, 23-25 average driven like a nun  :o
Hmmm, that does sound very poorly :o :o :o
Grumpy old man

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 September 2010, 22:11:39 »

Well it was thoroughly fettled; everything done, even tech2 upgrades, throttle bodies-see "the list"....

Once managed 32mpg on a 55mph 100 mile cruise

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 September 2010, 14:08:49 »

Well it was thoroughly fettled; everything done, even tech2 upgrades, throttle bodies-see "the list"....

Definitely not right then... My 3.0 Auto manages mid 30's on a 70-80mph  (indicated) cruise :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2010, 14:18:42 »

Definitely not right then... My 3.0 Auto manages mid 30's on a 70-80mph  (indicated) cruise :-/

Absolutely, just done a 310 mile round trip in a 3.0 litre auto at 80 on cruise. Returned 32.7 mpg. Boh! :y
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 September 2010, 14:29:42 »

Absolutely, just done a 310 mile round trip in a 3.0 litre auto at 80 on cruise. Returned 32.7 mpg. Boh! :y
I did a round trip to Luton airport and back in my new 3.2 Elite. Averaged 21mpg  :'(

Mind you, I might not have been cruising at 80mph, particularly on the way there, as we were running very late  :-X
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 September 2010, 14:30:28 »

I did a round trip to Luton airport and back in my new 3.2 Elite. Averaged 21mpg  :'(

Mind you, I might not have been cruising at 80mph, particularly on the way there, as we were running very late  :-X
Which reminds me, I still maintain my 1998 MV6 3.0l is quicker  :-X
Grumpy old man

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 September 2010, 14:39:59 »

Which reminds me, I still maintain my 1998 MV6 3.0l is quicker  :-X

I've found that my beast returns better mpg sat at 80 instead of 56. I managed 27 ish on an 80 mile round trip sat at 56, negotiating a few roundabouts and 30 areas. Not good!

On an unrelated note A few years ago we used to make a weekly trip from Shaibah logistics base outside of Basra to Basra Airport. About 21 miles IIRC.  We had various vehicles, inc. 3.5 v6 Pathfinder (petrol of course - at 8 pence a litre!), not the horrid diesel one in britain, a 3.5 v6 Pajero, and a Dodge Magnum with 5.7l V8 - that was crazy!

Needless to say we would have the aircon on full blast, with our feeflat to the floor to beat the 'record'. Anyway, IIRC we used about 40 litres or so for journey in the Pathfinder!

If my maths are correct, that's about 4.7 mpg? Crazy!
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.