Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.6 misbehaving after cam belt change/cam cover change  (Read 3959 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

I bought this car, 2001 petrol manual 2.6, Sunday 10 May, drove it home, went well. Changed cam belt, changed 1-3-5 cam cover, removed cam plug stick on 2-4-6 bank, bone dry , so replaced it and did nor change cam cover 2-4-6. Reassembled, started up, no lights on.
Today drove it to work, spanner light came on in half a mile. Autel code reader said no codes, but managed to cancel spanner light. Drove it again, Autel said 0325 knock sensor no. 1 bank. Unplugged no. 1 knock sensor, replugged it. Drove it again. Sapnner light came on again, then it went out and engine block light came on and engine began to misfire. Pedal trick gave codes 0325 0300, 0304.
My only worry was that plugging in 1-3-5 plug stick to socket I had difficulty engaging the locking catch, in fact I am not sure I ever managed it.

Any thoughts?.

4x4

Re: 2.6 misbehaving after cam belt change/cam cover change
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2015, 19:22:02 »

Check rubber boots on the 2-4-6 bank.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2015, 19:44:11 »

I bought this car, 2001 petrol manual 2.6, Sunday 10 May, drove it home, went well. Changed cam belt, changed 1-3-5 cam cover, removed cam plug stick on 2-4-6 bank, bone dry , so replaced it and did nor change cam cover 2-4-6. Reassembled, started up, no lights on.
Today drove it to work, spanner light came on in half a mile. Autel code reader said no codes, but managed to cancel spanner light. Drove it again, Autel said 0325 knock sensor no. 1 bank. Unplugged no. 1 knock sensor, replugged it. Drove it again. Sapnner light came on again, then it went out and engine block light came on and engine began to misfire. Pedal trick gave codes 0325 0300, 0304.
My only worry was that plugging in 1-3-5 plug stick to socket I had difficulty engaging the locking catch, in fact I am not sure I ever managed it.

Any thoughts?.
It may not be the cause but you won't be happy until you have double checked it..............
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2015, 06:47:25 »

Is the nock sensor wire trapped by the aux tensioner?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2015, 07:26:33 »

Is the nock sensor wire trapped by the aux tensioner?
No. On the very first cam belt I changed I did indeed misroute the knock sensor cable under the aux tensioner, eventually it frayed though and failed. Now I am very wary of keeping the knock sensor cable clear of trouble. On this car it goes over the top of the aux belt tensioner. Yet the code is there. Puzzling.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2015, 07:42:15 »

Check rubber boots on the 2-4-6 bank.
As said, there was no oil in 2-4-6 plug holes, so I put the plug stick back and did not change 2-4-6 cam cover. There is an invoice in the service history provided for 6 new NGK plugs and '1 ignition module (left and right side)' dated 15/12/2014, cost £90. This infers both ignition sticks were renewed then. I guess the cr had problems then, but it was fine when I drove it home.
Code 0304 reads as misfire in no. 4. Perhaps I should remove plug stick and plug and investigate.
0300 reads as random misfire. Perhaps they are the wrong plugs.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2015, 08:01:58 »

Another confession. When replacing 1-3-5 plug stick I dropped and lost one of the 2 retaining screws, so replaced it with a longer one. Might this have pressed on the knock sensor?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2015, 08:14:23 »

Any thoughts?.
It may not be the cause but you won't be happy until you have double checked it..............
True. I have wiggled it and it seems quite secure now.
 I am baffled by this fault. I am tempted to change all the plugs for Vx TC plugs, in doing so I can inspect the plug sticks and change the longer screw on 1-3-5 stick.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2015, 10:45:19 »

Knock sensor bank 1, check the wire for damage earlier in its life.

Also check the alternator for play in the bearings, have a seen a noisy one trigger the knock sensor before.

Knock sensor is mounted on the side of the block so not possible to get near it with a coil pack bolt.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2015, 20:33:02 »

I bought 6 trade club plugs and fitted them today. All faults cured. The NGK R BKR5EQUPA plugs I replaced were fitted 15 Dec 2014 price £33.60 plus VAT by Prestige Performance Centre, Hailsham, Sussex, so the invoice says. Picture follows. At first glance they looked fine, then I noticed the central electrode was burned down to the level of the insulator and the spark gap is 2.2mm. Didn't last long, did they?
[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/j228ywlam5a7lyp/Plug50%25.JPG?dl=0[url]

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2015, 21:16:50 »

Erosion caused by the horrific timing discrepancy :-\

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2015, 12:39:10 »

The NGK R BKR5EQUPA plugs I replaced were fitted 15 Dec 2014 price £33.60 plus VAT by Prestige Performance Centre, Hailsham, Sussex, so the invoice says. Picture follows. At first glance they looked fine, then I noticed the central electrode was burned down to the level of the insulator and the spark gap is 2.2mm. Didn't last long, did they?

some 4 point plugs come like that new

http://www.gaz-tech.com/sklep/index.php?p352,swieca-ngk-bkr5equpa
« Last Edit: 26 May 2015, 12:41:43 by migmog »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2015, 12:50:38 »

That's what that brew of NGK plug come like as standard as they are a surface discharge plug.

Clearly not suited to an Omega setup!

Al, although valve timing was out (a lot), the spark timing should still be spot on (crank sensor plus knock control)  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2015, 12:55:07 »

Reinforces what many have said - TC genuine GM plugs are the way to go. There's never been any advantage that I've heard of by going for other brands. Sometimes you get plugs cheaper than TC, but always at the expense of lengevity, so a false economy. Sleep soundly tonight knowing you've got the best plugs you can get for your Vauxhall  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.