Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Brakes  (Read 6719 times)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Front Brakes
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2015, 10:01:05 »

Thank you for all the comments.

I just wanted to know if the larger brackets fitted, but I think it's just easier to get the standard size and sell the brackets on.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2015, 10:31:56 »

I think Mr Wood needs to drive Sereks 6pot upgrade. ....and if they over hear I'll eat my hat. And the Popes hat ....and the Bears hat if he has one. ;D ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2015, 11:05:17 »

....- the disk.

disC on this side of the Atlantic  ::)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2015, 11:17:09 »

....- the disk.

disC on this side of the Atlantic  ::)
Who woke Andy P up? ::)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2015, 12:49:21 »

I think Mr Wood needs to drive Sereks 6pot upgrade. ....and if they over hear I'll eat my hat. And the Popes hat ....and the Bears hat if he has one. ;D ;)

But of course he has a hat, Paddington always wears his hat and keeps a marmalade sandwich under it for emergencies... Don't you know anything?!

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2015, 15:15:31 »

Watched my MoT with interest as it was the first test since the Monaro VXR brakes were fitted...

Front brakes were a touch stronger than the previous test: 3.1 against 2.5 iirc, but rears were, obviously, unchanged at 2.5... both sides being identical :y

On a fast run to work: 23 miles and 23 roundabouts and all fast A roads (55% dual carriageway), the brakes aren't showing signs of fading until I get to the last roundabout, where as before they were fading halfway to Crawley from Horsham (7 miles) :o

So upgrades are well considered, but you want to be looking at 330x32 mm discs with decent pad area to make it worthwhile imho :-\

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2015, 15:24:32 »

So upgrades are well considered, but you want to be looking at 330x32 mm discs with decent pad area to make it worthwhile imho :-\
Although that would then require me to upgrade to 17" wheels, which I'd rather not do because I like the comfort. It really wasn't a question about upgrading performance at all, I only asked if they fitted. I know I can fit 308mm discs behind a wide range of 16" wheels (assuming there are no stick on weights just behind the alloy face), as I've tried and have the pictures.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2015, 15:26:32 by deviator »

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2015, 15:29:29 »

In which case, try the early Monaro CV8/Pontiac Gto calipers if you can find a set... typically $100 plus shipping :y

Otherwise buy the GM pads... the proper ones at around £80 a set rather than the not so great but perfectly fine TC pads which you get in the disc/pad set, and appreciate the difference these make to the standard brake performance :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2015, 15:48:16 »

In which case, try the early Monaro CV8/Pontiac Gto calipers if you can find a set... typically $100 plus shipping :y

Otherwise buy the GM pads... the proper ones at around £80 a set rather than the not so great but perfectly fine TC pads which you get in the disc/pad set, and appreciate the difference these make to the standard brake performance :y

Thanks, but like I said, I wasn't really after improving brakes, it was more a case of 'I have these brackets doing nothing, I might as well fit them'.

By the better pads, I presume you mean the police spec pads? I've had them before, they are good, but they kick out some dust.

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2015, 15:54:40 »

That they do... :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2015, 16:03:24 »

Although that would then require me to upgrade to 17" wheels, which I'd rather not do because I like the comfort.  ....

I replaced my MFL Elite 16" rims for the later FL Elite 17" rims, though there was a difference between the two, the ride on the 17s was still quite acceptable  :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2015, 16:08:02 »

I have some 17"'s at home, I may try them in the future, assuming I don't get bored and sell them first  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2015, 16:11:28 »

Although that would then require me to upgrade to 17" wheels, which I'd rather not do because I like the comfort.  ....

I replaced my MFL Elite 16" rims for the later FL Elite 17" rims, though there was a difference between the two, the ride on the 17s was still quite acceptable  :y

and because the 17" tyres are a more popular size, they're usually cheaper  :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2015, 16:14:20 »

and because the 17" tyres are a more popular size, they're usually cheaper  :y

Oddly, I've already priced up tyres, Toyo T1S are £68 each in 16's and the last time I bought 17" Toyo T1R they were £75. Again not much in it really.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2015, 16:56:48 »

Watched my MoT with interest as it was the first test since the Monaro VXR brakes were fitted...

Front brakes were a touch stronger than the previous test: 3.1 against 2.5 iirc, but rears were, obviously, unchanged at 2.5... both sides being identical :y

That only tells you the braking effort at lockup, though, nothing about the brake balance. For that you need to measure both axles simultaneously, or individually with an identical force on the brake pedal. IIRC, the latter is what I had to demonstrate at my kit car SVA test. They use a little gauge between your foot and the pedal to measure the force, then they measure braking effort at both axles, then they measure load on both axles before deciding if the balance is safe.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.