Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Ally cam covers how much?  (Read 1626 times)

markomega25

• Morden, Surrey, A3 gateway
    • View Profile
V6 Ally cam covers how much?
« on: 19 May 2008, 23:07:59 »

Hi,

My 2.5 facelift may have leaking cam covers, if so then how much should I expect to pay for second hand Vectra Ally ones, and would any year do so long as they are off a 2.5 V6?

Will my existing filler cap be a straight fit (I know the Vectra covers have the filler neck at the rear when fitted).

Ta

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
Re: V6 Ally cam covers how much?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2008, 23:53:56 »

No your filler neck wil not fit the vectra covers, and any vectra covers will fit the v6, but you need to be right on top of breather cleaning on a regular basis as the covers will not let by if the breathers block and you will end up blowing the rear main seal or worse. if your existing covers are leaking try replacing the gaskets and seal them in the correct way and clean the breathers and you should not have a problem again. cam covers should be tightned down to 8nm and no more. ;)
« Last Edit: 19 May 2008, 23:54:39 by ffcgary1 »
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2008, 23:59:39 »

No your filler neck wil not fit the vectra covers, and any vectra covers will fit the v6, but you need to be right on top of breather cleaning on a regular basis as the covers will not let by if the breathers block and you will end up blowing the rear main seal or worse. if your existing covers are leaking try replacing the gaskets and seal them in the correct way and clean the breathers and you should not have a problem again. cam covers should be tightned down to 8nm and no more. ;)

What that man said.

Thorough breather clean, oil and filter change, and genuine gaskets fitted properly - your problem should go :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2008, 21:52:20 »

Fitting veccy ones purely to overcome this will result in more trouble. Stick to the proper stuff.

If its a engine styling thing, thats a different kettle of fish, they will fit, but filler will be in awkard place.  And any breather blockage will do damage to more important seals...
Grumpy old man

marinis69

• Ashford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2008, 22:27:28 »

had the same problem with v6. buy vauxhall gaskets not cheap on ebay and seal with special sealer. mine still dry :)

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2008, 22:58:03 »

do you think GM designed these covers to blow out rather than important seals? :D
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

jimbo125

• Intermediate Member
  • Camberley
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2015, 01:10:52 »

Hi have a 2.5V6 98 plate 138K, done the usual breather cleans and no more than 8Nm on the nuts. My covers have warped along the long edges. Am trying to reshape them with wood jig, carpenters clamps and heat gun, let you know how it goes oh and yes VX original seals.
2.5V6 Had it since 2002, what a beast, worth the time and effort to keep it road worthy. Vauxhall bring them back!!! Laser timing kit for OOF member hire

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2015, 08:55:58 »

As far as I'm aware, the Vectra has a different breather setup to the Omega, hence a difference design of camcover. Not rubbishing the idea, if you want to go downt hat route, that's fine and up to you - just be ontop of breather maintenance like a pedant - but you'll find most on here will stick to the originals.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2015, 20:03:21 »

Its been a long day so my inner chav is on the loose. In theory would it be possible to sand back a set of standard cam covers, then use some sort of high temperature paint on them?

If it is, don't let on to MrsGK, else I'll end up with a metallic purple engine...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2015, 20:16:01 »

Its been a long day so my inner chav is on the loose. In theory would it be possible to sand back a set of standard cam covers, then use some sort of high temperature paint on them?

If it is, don't let on to MrsGK, else I'll end up with a metallic purple engine...
In a big shout'ee voice YES
Hoof'land storeman.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2015, 20:18:26 »

In a big shout'ee voice YES

For goodness sake. Why couldn't you lie, and say "you cant get high temperature plastic primer", and then my life would be a lot simpler? I want to go do it now!  ;D
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2015, 22:36:28 »

Hi,

My 2.5 facelift may have leaking cam covers, if so then how much should I expect to pay for second hand Vectra Ally ones, and would any year do so long as they are off a 2.5 V6?

Will my existing filler cap be a straight fit (I know the Vectra covers have the filler neck at the rear when fitted).

Ta

Between £50-100
Omegatitis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.