Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Adaptive cruise control?  (Read 5295 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Adaptive cruise control?
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2016, 13:58:57 »

Would be nice when you can send your car off to work whilst you stay at home and drink tea.

Then when your Boss rings and says "Zirk, why arnt you at work today?", you can reply "Yea, sorry about that, the car forgot to take me again."  ;D

2nddaniel

• Heywood
  • I swerve for HGV's.
    • Omega 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Cheesey peas
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2016, 17:13:12 »

Any technical knowledge is appreciated.
[/quote]

Depends what engine you have .... yours is an add on unit (drivers side inner wing) later cars ie 3.2 & 2.6 are fly by wire throttles and cruise is just a software prog.
[/quote]

This is what I'm after. Tech talk. Thanks pal.
Mine is as you described, apparently an add on unit. I drive the 3.0 V6 petrol with autobox. I didn't realise later models binned the accelerator cable.
Do Any Omegas have the adaptive version of cruise.?
Weapons officer, prepare to fire.

I am prepared. I'm the weapons officer.

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2016, 17:28:25 »

No.

Ecu isn't designed for it.

If you must have it, buy a new car with it. Simples :y

To be clear, the dbw ecus control the cruise control, there is no cruise ecu. Earlier cabled cars have a second ecu which talks to the engine/gearbox ones, but again the engine ecu isn't designed for an adaptive element...

The only thing they might do is allow for a throttle increase subject to load criteria, ie steep or long inclines :-\ although in my experience, the 3.2 was rubbish at maintaining speed uphill...
« Last Edit: 21 May 2016, 17:36:11 by Harris K Telemacher »

2nddaniel

• Heywood
  • I swerve for HGV's.
    • Omega 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Cheesey peas
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2016, 18:13:29 »

No.

To be clear, the dbw ecus control the cruise control, there is no cruise ecu. Earlier cabled cars have a second ecu which talks to the engine/gearbox ones, but again the engine ecu isn't designed for an adaptive element...

The only thing they might do is allow for a throttle increase subject to load criteria, ie steep or long inclines :-\ although in my experience, the 3.2 was rubbish at maintaining speed uphill...

Mine works really well uphill, and downhill isn't too bad. When reaching an incline the gearbox kicks down to maintain speed. Downhill does have a speed increase, but it does drop a gear to assist with engine braking if the torque convertor deems it necessary.
There is a tolerance of maybe 2mph either side of the chosen setting on a flat road.
It would be the icing on the cruise-cake to find a simple way of adding adaptive.

Perhaps somewhere, somehow, there is a Vauxhall that has the same throttle cable control unit but also has the radar sensors mounted in the front bumper linked to the cruise control.
That would have my attention. I would study it.

I want to have my cruise-cake and eat it.

2nddaniel

• Heywood
  • I swerve for HGV's.
    • Omega 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Cheesey peas
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2016, 18:14:21 »

Would be nice when you can send your car off to work whilst you stay at home and drink tea.

Then when your Boss rings and says "Zirk, why arnt you at work today?", you can reply "Yea, sorry about that, the car forgot to take me again."  ;D

Love it.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2016, 18:18:35 »

No.

Mine works really well uphill, and downhill isn't too bad. When reaching an incline the gearbox kicks down to maintain speed. Downhill does have a speed increase, but it does drop a gear to assist with engine braking if the torque convertor deems it necessary.
There is a tolerance of maybe 2mph either side of the chosen setting on a flat road.
It would be the icing on the cruise-cake to find a simple way of adding adaptive.

Perhaps somewhere, somehow, there is a Vauxhall that has the same throttle cable control unit but also has the radar sensors mounted in the front bumper linked to the cruise control.

I want to have my cruise-cake and eat it.
Any car new enough to have adaptive cruise will have a dbw throttle...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2016, 21:07:17 »

Any car new enough to have adaptive cruise will have a dbw throttle...

nail & head I think there Al  :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2016, 18:34:59 »

Nope, no such option available. *AND* even if it did, it would be far, far, far more than bolting on a new cruise, as technically the system is a lot more complex than something tugging on the accelerator cable.

At a minimum, you'd be reverse engineering the proprietary firmwares on the engine, TCM and ABS ECUs, and re-writing them to take into account the new functionality, and work out a way to communicate this across the ECUs in real time.  You'd also as a minimum need the Stability Control version of the ABS system, incredibly rare in the UK.

Now on a 3.0l, there is no stability control option, and its not retrofittable to it. In addition, there isn't really a proper CAN implementation between the relevant ECUs, or capability to add one.  Even on the later engines, the CAN isn't really a full implementation, so doubt you'd be able to get the required real time communication.

So, in summary, on a DBW Omega, if you had access to the proprietary source code for the ECUs, and the skills to program them, and assuming there was enough flash space, and you had the Stability Control ABS, and the CAN was featured enough and fast enough to add a real time communications channel, you may be able to add it. It would be what I'd class as a very challenging implementation *IF* you could get the source code.  But no way on this earth would you get insurance on it.

On a 3.0l, consider it virtually impossible.

As said earlier, if you must have it, buy a car with it.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2016, 20:45:53 »

Is this still going on ???

2nddaniel

• Heywood
  • I swerve for HGV's.
    • Omega 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Cheesey peas
« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2016, 19:09:05 »

Thanks everyone for the comments.
If I don't ask questions I don't have knowledge.

I have more knowledge now.
Enough to give it a go.
So I seem to need some Cans - will any do?
I also read that I need some wire to drive by - I have wire.
And some Firm Ware- I'll use Tupperware.

(I'm tempted to just post that without writing this bit - I can imagine the capital lettered responses - But yes, I am in fact joking. I'll accept I'd be out of my depth and mind)

I had planned on fitting some dust caps, but I'm inclined to simply buy a car with them already fitted.

[all of the emojis]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 May 2016, 19:55:23 »

I have more knowledge now.
Enough to give it a go. ....

Let me know when/if you do ...... my son, daughter-in-law & grandaughter live on the Bury/Heywood border  ::) ::)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.