Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Shock Absorbers  (Read 4476 times)

SuffolkMan

• Ipswich
    • Omega Elite 3.2 2003
    • View Profile
Rear Shock Absorbers
« on: 13 May 2018, 10:58:05 »

Omega 3.2 Elite 2003, 67000 miles: at recent MOT my local garage mentioned that the rear shocks will probably not pass next year.  They said that the shocks are 'electric ones' and that they don't know what the electric connection is for but they are now no longer available.  They suggested replacing with standard parts.  The shocks do have what looks like an electrical connection right at the top, although it is quite rigid and could also be a thin hydraulic pipe.
Does anyone know what 'electric shocks' do, whether they are available or can be refurbished or whether it is ok to replace with currently available parts?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Shock Absorbers
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2018, 11:31:19 »

As yours is an Elite it'll have self levelling rear suspension I believe.Do your shocks have a pipe going to them?there's an electric pump[at the front of the car somewhere]which feeds air[?] to them to level the car depending on weight-rear passengers/boot full of stuff etc.-if these are available I understand they can be expensive.As far as I'm aware you can change these to ordinary shocks[you'd have to disconnect the pump to stop it from keeping running]but you'd also have to change the rear springs at the same time as the self levelling type are too soft when ordinary shocks are fitted.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2018, 12:01:44 »

They're air shocks, not electric.
They are Vauxhall only, and expensive. But replacing them with standard shocks and the necessary stiffer springs costs about the same, and is a lot more work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2018, 13:23:17 »

If you can find a pair for sale they are different from Saloon to Estate so be aware .

Due to N/A I replaced both mine with Boge shocks and Std Omega rear springs as they are readily available.Shocks were around £60 the pair and springs £80 the pair so not alot different than 1 OEM air shock at prices when VX stocked them

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2018, 13:48:21 »

I believe (although I could be wrong) that Monroe air shocks will work but you'll need to make an adapter to fit the pipe connection.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2018, 14:00:59 »

They're air shocks, not electric.
They are Vauxhall only, and expensive. But replacing them with standard shocks and the necessary stiffer springs costs about the same, and is a lot more work.

If you think OE self levelling shockers for an Omega are expensive, try my R Class rear shockers. Pattern were  £200 each  :'( Merc wanted about £400 each  :o

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2018, 14:54:08 »

They said that the shocks are 'electric ones' and that they don't know what the electric connection is for but they are now no longer available.  They suggested replacing with standard parts.

The garage does not know what the connector is for? I’d stop using this garage!

I think it’s shocking a garage would class the shocks as electric and not know what the loom connector is for.

I’ve got standard shocks and springs on my 3.2 which previously had self levelling. I don’t miss it

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2018, 15:42:13 »

You clearly have never used working self levelling suspension then...
Onanists always think outside the box.

SuffolkMan

• Ipswich
    • Omega Elite 3.2 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2018, 18:58:46 »

Many thanks for all the replies so far, I really appreciate the help and advice.  The local garage took me under the ramp and showed me the 'electric shocks' but the 'wires' were very small bore rigid pipes so I didn't believe them, however they were certain!  Not going back there again for sure.
Replacement isn't urgent but it is on the horizon.  Does anyone know if direct replacements are available or, failing that, if reconditioning is possible?  Also, if I have to use the non-levelling Omega part, will I definitely have to replace the springs (that would be really annoying as a year ago - previous MOT, that time at Main Dealer - they were replaced because one had cracked)?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2018, 19:30:03 »

Do you know what springs the main dealer used[this might show on the invoice for the work]? My understanding is you can fit any spring with the air shocks,but if fitting standard shocks the springs must be changed as the ones factory fitted with self levelling suspension are too soft to cope with none air shocks[hope this is making sense] I would doubt the air shocks can be refurbished but can't say for definite.

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2018, 20:22:48 »

nice to hear of another Omega in Ipswich ,there's not many in Suffolk :y
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2018, 21:33:07 »

Stupid question and I may of missed it but why do they need replacing? Why will they not pass the next MOT?

If the garage got the type of shock absorber wrong, maybe they did not understand the shock absorber itself and it’s abilities/limitations and assumed?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2018, 21:36:22 »

Stupid question and I may of missed it but why do they need replacing? Why will they not pass the next MOT?

If the garage got the type of shock absorber wrong, maybe they did not understand the shock absorber itself and it’s abilities/limitations and assumed?

The air shocks are just normal shocks with a small air bag wrapped around them. So they're subject to all the failures that normal ones are, plus problems with the bag.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2018, 21:53:11 »

The air shocks are just normal shocks with a small air bag wrapped around them. So they're subject to all the failures that normal ones are, plus problems with the bag.

Get all that, but my point is that there may be nothing wrong with what he has already and the garage is assuming a fault appearing when it may be the natural condition for the shocks?

SuffolkMan

• Ipswich
    • Omega Elite 3.2 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2018, 22:15:54 »

Good question: one is moist along its length with a very very thin deposit of oil...

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.