Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: '03 FL steering wheel control lighting  (Read 5188 times)

powerslinky

'03 FL steering wheel control lighting
« on: 18 February 2015, 21:24:25 »

Got my Sony Minidisc HU all fitted & working with the interface to allow steering wheel controls  :y

Works great  :y :y     but tonight I noticed that there is no illumination on the steering wheel controls themselves  :-\

From owning  previous omegas, I'm sure there should be some sort of lighting on these.

Anyone know ?. . . and if so could  it just be blown  bulbs ?   seems unlikely that all bulbs would be blown though  :-\ :-\ :-\

TIA    Al :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: '03 FL steering wheel control lighting
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2015, 21:48:02 »

Sure they are LEDs.  I believe its feed from HU, so might be your adapter is just shite (it is Sony, after all).
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2015, 21:50:04 »

Yeah, just checked schems, feed from HU (or adapter in your case)
Grumpy old man

powerslinky

« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2015, 06:40:29 »

Sure they are LEDs.  I believe its feed from HU, so might be your adapter is just shite (it is Sony, after all).

Got it from Halfrauds Jamie, so most likely is  . . .  ;D ;D ;D

Just have to get used to it without illumination . . .  or don't drive with music at night  ;D ;D ;D

I know you hate Sony gear but this sounds so much better than the CDR2006 even with the std VX speakers

Thanks for reply   :y
« Last Edit: 19 February 2015, 06:43:22 by Essex Big Al »

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2015, 09:48:36 »

It could be the head unit itself, as istr my wheel controls not illuminating either :-\ was summat I noticed all of a sudden, but never worried about as I never fitted the interface :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2015, 10:43:46 »

Got it from Halfrauds Jamie, so most likely is  . . .  ;D ;D ;D

Just have to get used to it without illumination . . .  or don't drive with music at night  ;D ;D ;D

I know you hate Sony gear but this sounds so much better than the CDR2006 even with the std VX speakers

Thanks for reply   :y
Minidisc came out before Sony sold themselves out. And if you want minidisc, you have precisely sod all choice ;D

Worth popping some better speakers in though. No need to spend a fortune to get an improvement :)

As to the adapter, likely its a half arsed implementation.  Need to look again, but it may be possible to just provide a suitable voltage on one of the wires. Not sure what that "suitable" voltage would be without measuring.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2015, 10:45:26 »

Probably not 12v to the yellow wires... ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2015, 10:52:53 »

That'd solve the issue, as you could listen to minidisc in a hospital ward
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2015, 10:59:59 »

That'd solve the issue, as you could listen to minidisc in a hospital ward
Assuming the bang doesn't destroy Als' ear drums :D

Pin 3 RdWh at X91 instrument panel contact unit connection... from Pin7 of the Radio plug.

At X91 it becomes Gy to the contact unit U20, which then connects to Pin A at X89, which is where the controls plug into the contact assembly at the steering wheel hub :y
« Last Edit: 19 February 2015, 11:11:14 by Taxi Al »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2015, 13:40:48 »

Output of pin 7 is 12v when HU is on.  So Al needs a similar signal from his HU :)
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2015, 14:11:20 »

Output of pin 7 is 12v when HU is on.  So Al needs a similar signal from his HU :)
Will look at a gay loom when I get home, but guess pin 7 is on the power section of the plug rather than the speaker or extras sections... 4x2 din iirc

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2015, 17:17:34 »

Will look at a gay loom when I get home, but guess pin 7 is on the power section of the plug rather than the speaker or extras sections... 4x2 din iirc
Pin 7 on the car radio plug...

Equates to Pin 5 on the Sony loom...

So you simply need to connect Pins 5 and 7 on the Sony plug...

And for reference,
X91
And X89

powerslinky

« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2015, 17:30:46 »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o    Que ?      thanks guys that looks dead easy  . . . to you two

but I won't mess with electricery even if it is only 12 volts ::)

May be a job for Terbys meet  as the Sony comes out pretty easy  ;) ;)

Jamie  . . . wot speakers would you suggest  . . . price does matter sadly :-[ :-[

powerslinky

« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2015, 18:32:53 »

Seems I've had a bad day  with that last post  . . . . hope you can "read between the lines "  ;D ;D ;D and get what it means

I am 'effin' usless  with a computer  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[   

Edit :     Actually   Taxi Al / Jamie   . . . ::) ::) ::)  now that   have had a look at your suggestion  .  . I think I may be able to

attempt that 8) 8) 8)     can anything go seriously  wrong ?    :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: 19 February 2015, 18:39:44 by Essex Big Al »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2015, 14:47:53 »

Worse case is smoke. And you haven't lived until you've properly tuned something to channel smoke, and shat your pants in the process ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2015, 16:20:42 »

Worse case is smoke. And you haven't lived until you've properly tuned something to channel smoke, and shat your pants in the process ;D

Let me see. Bit of swarf in the tuning capacitor of the anode circuit in a big valve transmitter was a good one. Couple of kV DC got shorted out as I was in there tuning it up with a screwdriver. :o

Oh, or the electrolytic cap that burst while I had my mate's guitar amplifier in bits on my lap. Felt it just graze my forehead on the way up. Learned to connect them the right way round after that.  ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

powerslinky

« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2015, 17:12:58 »

You lot  trying to frighten me . . .  was gonna attempt this  . . . think I  still will . .  .

it's only an old omega. . . & . . . fire station is quite local ::) ::) ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2015, 17:21:23 »

Let me see. Bit of swarf in the tuning capacitor of the anode circuit in a big valve transmitter was a good one. Couple of kV DC got shorted out as I was in there tuning it up with a screwdriver. :o

Oh, or the electrolytic cap that burst while I had my mate's guitar amplifier in bits on my lap. Felt it just graze my forehead on the way up. Learned to connect them the right way round after that.  ::)
I was doing some serious smoothing on a home made battery charger back in my RC days.  Several massive electrolytics in parallel.  Inevitably, one day they were connected round the wrong way. Foil and dust took ages to settle, and I had to have it all hovered up before the folks got home ;D

Or for fun, a mate and I realised you could get quite accurate with shooting the top off Watford Electronics LEDs with 90v, reverse connected.  When we ran out, we discovered the Maplins ones just glowed briefly, then just smoked until the legs blew like a fuse.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2015, 17:22:00 »

You lot  trying to frighten me . . .  was gonna attempt this  . . . think I  still will . .  .

it's only an old omega. . . & . . . fire station is quite local ::) ::) ::)
Where's your sense of adventure.  To quote Clarkson, "what could possibly go wrong?"
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2015, 17:28:32 »

I would cut the RdWh wire on the car loom where it connects to the radio plug and attach it to the Rd wire next to it :y

Simply bridging the two may well release smoke...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2015, 17:37:59 »

Simply bridging the two may well will release (lots of) smoke...
fixed
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2015, 17:47:36 »

Simply bridging the two may well will release (lots of) smoke...
fixed
;D

powerslinky

« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2015, 19:10:30 »

I would cut the RdWh wire on the car loom where it connects to the radio plug and attach it to the Rd wire next to it :y

Simply bridging the two may well release smoke...

Need some guidance here Al  . . . .So  cut the RdWh wire where it connects to the radio plug & then connect the loom side of this to the Red wire next to it ? :-\

or is it ?  cut the RdWh wire where it connects to the radio plug & then connect  the plug side of this to the Red wire next to it , leaving the the RdWh from the loom taped up & going nowhere

Another way to explain my question is ; when RdWh wire is cut which end (loom or plug) is joined to the Red next to it .

sorry it's probably glaringly obvious to you  . . .  but not me  :-[ :-[ :-[

I hate electrics ::) ::) ::)      hoping you can understand this  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 20 February 2015, 19:12:30 by Essex Big Al »

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2015, 19:15:51 »

Cut it right at the plug. This dead end will then be safe. Then attach the tail (or loom side) of the cut wire to the red wire next to it... pin 8 on the car loom (see pic of plug).  To test, insert it and switch ignition on... wheel lights should then illuminate :y

If all good, make it a more permanent connection, and bish bash bosh :y

If it's easier, you could make the change at the Sony side of the loom... if you can bare to wait until Wycombe, I will gladly help with it :y
« Last Edit: 20 February 2015, 19:20:41 by Taxi Al »

powerslinky

« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2015, 19:20:39 »

Cut it right at the plug. This dead end will then be safe. Then attach the tail (or loom side) of the cut wire to the red wire next to it... pin 8 on the car loom (see pic of plug).  To test, insert it and switch ignition on... wheel lights should then illuminate :y

Right got it  . . . . bish bash bosh  :y :y :y :y      you know how I work then  ;D ;D ;D ;D     Thanks . . . doing it tomorrow ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2015, 19:21:13 »

Right got it  . . . . bish bash bosh  :y :y :y :y      you know how I work then  ;D ;D ;D ;D     Thanks . . . doing it tomorrow ;)
Have edited my last :y

powerslinky

« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2015, 19:27:29 »

If it's easier, you could make the change at the Sony side of the loom... if you can bare to wait until Wycombe, I will gladly help with it :y

Sounds like the best idea me thinks   . . . cheers Al ;) ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2015, 19:29:29 »

Sounds like the best idea me thinks   . . . cheers Al ;) ;)
No worries  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2015, 10:20:02 »

Wooooowwww, hang on a sec!

The Sony HU will have a remote power on. The issue is with the adapter. We need to work around the adapter before we go cutting car looms!
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2015, 10:40:35 »

The Sony HU will have a remote power on. The issue is with the adapter. We need to work around the adapter before we go cutting car looms!
Hence my suggestion of waiting to see it in the flesh rather than attacking the car :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 February 2015, 11:27:37 »

Yes, would agree, having had to repair looms which have been butchered with nothing left to solder too and insulate.

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 21 February 2015, 16:57:13 »

Yes, would agree, having had to repair looms which have been butchered with nothing left to solder too and insulate.
Ah yes a fellow ex plod owner ;D

The adaptor loom ought to be easy enough to remove and tweak in order to avoid butchery :y

Re reading instructions for AN Other Sony HU, Pin 5 on the HU loom is powered antenna... this chucks out 12v when the tuner is selected...

Al, do the steering wheel controls illuminate when you're listening to the radio, but go out when listen to discs? :-\

powerslinky

« Reply #32 on: 21 February 2015, 17:21:10 »

The adaptor loom ought to be easy enough to remove and tweak in order to avoid butchery :y

Re reading instructions for AN Other Sony HU, Pin 5 on the HU loom is powered antenna... this chucks out 12v when the tuner is selected...

Al, do the steering wheel controls illuminate when you're listening to the radio, but go out when listen to discs? :-\

sorry Al  . . . cannot answer that now  . . . gone down with man flu & am in bed sweating it out ::) ::)

The lights are def not on in MD mode but will have to check the radio tomorrow  . .  feel to rough to get up :-[ :-[

Not gonna attempt anything myself  . . .But will wait until you & the chaps have a look at Terbys meet :y :y

powerslinky

« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2015, 12:51:42 »

sorry Al  . . . cannot answer that now  . . . gone down with man flu & am in bed sweating it out ::) ::)

The lights are def not on in MD mode but will have to check the radio tomorrow  . .  feel to rough to get up :-[ :-[

Not gonna attempt anything myself  . . .But will wait until you & the chaps have a look at Terbys meet :y :y

Right Taxi Al . . . No steering wheel control lights when in  mini disc mode   . . . 

BUT  . . .          YES . . . they are working when the radio is on  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2015, 13:16:06 »

That simplifies the issue... see/sort it in May :y

powerslinky

« Reply #35 on: 22 February 2015, 13:24:16 »

That simplifies the issue... see/sort it in May :y

Splendid  :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 February 2015, 14:59:52 »

rather Sony shite  >:(

Is their an external amp remote power on function on the shitty HU? That's what you wanna used.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 February 2015, 15:05:48 »

What about utilising the instrument / dashboard illumination power source? Especially as you won't be bothered about the controls illuminating in the daylight?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 February 2015, 15:08:08 »

What about utilising the instrument / dashboard illumination power source? Especially as you won't be bothered about the controls illuminating in the daylight?
I thought that, but even a Sony must have an external amp remote power on. Surely. Even Sony.
Grumpy old man

powerslinky

« Reply #39 on: 22 February 2015, 16:45:16 »

I thought that, but even a Sony must have an external amp remote power on. Surely. Even Sony.

Don't worry chaps  . . .I will bring theHU  instuction booklet with me to Wycombe . . . then you can tell me  :-\ :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #40 on: 22 February 2015, 17:43:44 »

Is their an external amp remote power on function on the shitty HU? That's what you wanna used.
Chill out...The corresponding pin out to pin7 Rdwh on the car loom is the powered antenna outpolut from the HU... This is only powered when the tuner is selected, which is actually quite reasonable... Just needs connecting to 12v permanent/switched supply... No biggie :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22 February 2015, 20:06:29 »

Chill out...The corresponding pin out to pin7 Rdwh on the car loom is the powered antenna outpolut from the HU... This is only powered when the tuner is selected, which is actually quite reasonable... Just needs connecting to 12v permanent/switched supply... No biggie :y
My OCD wouldn't allow that sort of thing on one of mine :)

The HU should be able to do it.  Sony have once again dropped a bollock. But then we know they are mongrels of the highest order. Have they gone bust yet, or have they still got enough assets to last another year  >:(
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.