Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Towbar & Insurance questions  (Read 3510 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Towbar & Insurance questions
« on: 14 May 2007, 22:08:29 »

Okay....Markie has got the go ahead for the grand plan.....cant say anymore than that. But doesnt involve track cars or horses  ;)

Slight hint of Deja Vu but to some on here as initially I will be buying a third vehicle. Cash waiting  ;D

Because i know the marque it will need to be veccy or omega for fixability and trade club prices.

Can anyone advise the following...

1. Whats the difference between single and double electrics on a towbar - and are there any requirements for towing with regards to this?
2. Lets pretend i have my "tow car" and i insure it quoting i have 0 NCB, as i cant use my NCB being used on the MV6. Assuming that i go for 1 year without a claim i would have two lots of ncb, and i could use them both on two different cars - am i right?
3. And finally, i presume insurance companies must know of me using a car to tow or....do they? ie those with caravans - do you need to tell your car insurer you tow and if so does it affect premium?

:y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

STMO123

Re: Towbar & Insurance questions
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2007, 22:10:29 »

1  dont know

2  yes

3   dont know

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2007, 22:12:32 »

1  dont know

2  yes

3   dont know

you sound like a lawyer....no infact you dont - the middles answer is wrong  ;D
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2007, 22:14:39 »

1  dont know

2  yes

3   dont know

No its not. Both our cars are insured in the wifes name and we have five years and 14 years no claims :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2007, 22:16:27 »

Okay....Markie has got the go ahead for the grand plan.....cant say anymore than that. But doesnt involve track cars or horses  ;)

Slight hint of Deja Vu but to some on here as initially I will be buying a third vehicle. Cash waiting  ;D

Because i know the marque it will need to be veccy or omega for fixability and trade club prices.

1. Whats the difference between single and double electrics on a towbar - and are there any requirements for towing with regards to this?
2. Lets pretend i have my "tow car" and i insure it quoting i have 0 NCB, as i cant use my NCB being used on the MV6. Assuming that i go for 1 year without a claim i would have two lots of ncb, and i could use them both on two different cars - am i right?
3. And finally, i presume insurance companies must know of me using a car to tow or....do they? ie those with caravans - do you need to tell your car insurer you tow and if so does it affect premium?

twin leccy for caravans - the extra socket mainly for fridge, battery charging etc.  I seem to recall fogs or reverse lights also on extra socket - do a search for 12n 12s wiring diagram

Most insurance will do 'multicar' policies. Eg, my insurer gave me 5yr NCD on the tractor, despite having no NCD for it.  I had to negociate it with them.  If I move to different insurer next year, obviously I will only have 1 yr NCD on the tractor (and the full whack on MV6), though is I stay with my current insurer, it will be 5 on both...
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2007, 22:20:18 »

twin leccy for caravans - the extra socket mainly for fridge, battery charging etc.  I seem to recall fogs or reverse lights also on extra socket - do a search for 12n 12s wiring diagram

Most insurance will do 'multicar' policies. Eg, my insurer gave me 5yr NCD on the tractor, despite having no NCD for it.  I had to negociate it with them.  If I move to different insurer next year, obviously I will only have 1 yr NCD on the tractor (and the full whack on MV6), though is I stay with my current insurer, it will be 5 on both...

See...Jock ;D ;D

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2007, 22:21:23 »

1  dont know

2  yes

3   dont know

No its not. Both our cars are insured in the wifes name and we have five years and 14 years no claims :P

Steve - You missed my subtle and cheeky attempt at humour and a dig at lawyers there - no dispute your answer is correct  :)

Jamie  - Cheers for the heads up on multicar - i have 4 years NCB with Admiral....worth talking to them  :y

STMO123

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2007, 22:23:14 »

1  dont know

2  yes

3   dont know

Steve - You missed my subtle and cheeky attempt at humour and a dig at lawyers there - no dispute your answer is correct  :)

Jamie  - Cheers for the heads up on multicar - i have 4 years NCB with Admiral....worth talking to them  :y

:-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2007, 22:23:39 »

To clarify the NCD - if you only have 1 lot of NCD, you can only use that on 1 car. If you insure a 2nd car, that should start on 0yrs NCD (though as said, most insurers will do a deal).  Then you have 2 lots of NCD to use on 2 different cars as you see fit...
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2007, 22:23:44 »

As TB said you only need twin electrics for a caravan. The fob light is on the 12N socket. Reversing light is on the 12S IIRC.

I've found that insuring a 2nd car they will consider your existing NCB. Just shop around.

I've never informed them of towing. They won't cover whatever you're towing so that may need to be insured on top, but I don't think they need to know. Don't recall an insurance company ever asking if I tow.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STMO123

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2007, 22:25:54 »

As TB said you only need twin electrics for a caravan. The fob light is on the 12N socket. Reversing light is on the 12S IIRC.

I've found that insuring a 2nd car they will consider your existing NCB. Just shop around.

I've never informed them of towing. They won't cover whatever you're towing so that may need to be insured on top, but I don't think they need to know. Don't recall an insurance company ever asking if I tow.

Kevin

Martin is your man :y

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2007, 22:28:32 »

Only a newbie and I seem to know so many people already.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2007, 22:36:35 »

thanks for the input guys.......worryingly i am loking already at a 2.0 mondeo estate  :-[

so to clarify car insurer doesnt seem to need to know about my towing activities.
second car will in time accrue ncb on its own policy
single electrics are sufficient.

The trailer is going to be hired from a company and they deal with the legalities and insurance of their product  :y

oh and the purchase of this will let the MV6 get its respray  :-/

STMO123

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2007, 22:39:24 »

thanks for the input guys.......worryingly i am loking already at a 2.0 mondeo estate  :-[

so to clarify car insurer doesnt seem to need to know about my towing activities.
second car will in time accrue ncb on its own policy
single electrics are sufficient.

The trailer is going to be hired from a company and they deal with the legalities and insurance of their product  :y

oh and the purchase of this will let the MV6 get its respray  :-/

Perfectly acceptable tow car...but remember, you wont get the weight pushing down on the driving wheels, so dont go muddy ::)

Martin_1962

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2007, 22:54:53 »

Never needed to inform on towbar fitment nor that I am towing, trailer insurance is included as TPO, ie if you clobber an illegaly parked van the car insurance pays for a new door and the trailer insurance for the dent to be filled and repaired and awning strip replaced :( >:(

Mondeo ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheap Omega/Carlton/Senator - don't want WRD for towing.

My old 2.0 was OK

The second socket is used for battery charging and fridge, but there are two wiring layouts.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.