Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passenger side front airbag Q...  (Read 1919 times)

05omegav6

Passenger side front airbag Q...
« on: 02 June 2015, 06:56:24 »

As above...

Can it be Tech 2 disabled and thence removed? Hypothetically speaking.

Not into whys and wherefores... Obviously insurance would be told if hypothetical became actual ;)

Also if a late Elite with child seat sensor had a child seat transponder permanently attached to the passenger seat, obviously that would switch off the airbag(s) but could it then be safely removed on a permanent basis :-\ guessing this approach would also switch off the side airbag which is less than ideal...
« Last Edit: 02 June 2015, 07:00:30 by Taxi Al »

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger side front airbag Q...
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2015, 07:03:23 »

I believe an airbag can be removed and a resistor used to avoid errors. Not the best solution by far
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2015, 07:09:12 »

I believe an airbag can be removed and a resistor used to avoid errors. Not the best solution by far
Not a fan of that approach tbh ;) if only because the circuit will still be live if the ecu decides to trigger it... Airbag or no.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2015, 10:34:23 »

From experience, if you need to remove an airbag, then the fitting of a resistor is really your best option. Airbags have still been know to go off even when switched off, and most of those switches and sensors seem to activate a resistor anyway. Never seen the ability to alter the bags via any ecu interrogation of any vehicle though.

What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe there is a known solution available  :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2015, 11:17:31 »

Not a fan of that approach tbh ;) if only because the circuit will still be live if the ecu decides to trigger it... Airbag or no.
There quiet low impedance Al, less than 5 ohms from memory, so if triggered they draw a few Amps (say 3 - 5 each bag) so as long as the Resister is the correct value and the correct power rating say 50 watts min, then it should be fine, but your need to do the maths when you find out the correct Resistor value.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2015, 11:25:23 »

I would have thought that if the airbag system was activated, it'd probably blow the resistor. As long as the rest of the bags deploy before this, then fine. Otherwise, it might be nasty.

EDIT

If you can turn the light off yourself, just disconnect the pre-tensioner cables under the seat. In fact, doesn't that error auto reset? (I could be wrong)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2015, 11:31:15 »

I would have thought that if the airbag system was activated, it'd probably blow the resistor. As long as the rest of the bags deploy before this, then fine. Otherwise, it might be nasty.
Hence the posting re Resistor Power rating /\ /\  ;)

If you can turn the light off yourself, just disconnect the pre-tensioner cables under the seat. In fact, doesn't that error auto reset? (I could be wrong)
No, that wont work.  ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2015, 16:12:09 »

From experience, if you need to remove an airbag, then the fitting of a resistor is really your best option. Airbags have still been know to go off even when switched off, and most of those switches and sensors seem to activate a resistor anyway. Never seen the ability to alter the bags via any ecu interrogation of any vehicle though.

What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe there is a known solution available  :y
The aim would be to use the cavity for a screen mounting, using the airbag cover panel as a lid...

If it isn't viable then not an issue as it could be externally or glove box mounted... :y

Some lower spec, earlier Omegas didn't have a passenger airbag as standard, hence thinking it might be programmable  :-\

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2015, 01:20:33 »

The reistor modification would be your best bet (provided the vehicle is not used on the road, OR the insurance company is informed, obviously ;D)

That's how all the 'on road' drift boys do it.  They replace their safe steering wheel with a lump of aluminum (coz it weyz less, innit) then inform their insurance company. Obvz!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2015, 19:25:50 »

Can it be Tech 2 disabled and thence removed? Hypothetically speaking.
Straight answer, no.

Also if a late Elite with child seat sensor had a child seat transponder permanently attached to the passenger seat, obviously that would switch off the airbag(s) but could it then be safely removed on a permanent basis :-\ guessing this approach would also switch off the side airbag which is less than ideal...
Having looked at this for somebody for another reason, it wasn't completely straightforward. I'm sure its possible, but not as simple as snipping/joining wires
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2015, 06:21:19 »

Surely the seat transponder is passive :-\ unless you're referring to the airbag end :-\

One for a curry based discussion perhaps...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.