Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to join wires - car electronics  (Read 5864 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to join wires - car electronics
« Reply #30 on: 12 June 2017, 23:46:08 »

If you look at practically any connector on any car loom, 99 times out of 100 it'll be crimped at the factory.

When the wire, connector and tool are 100% compatible, it is a very reliable method of connection in an environment with movement and vibration like a car, because it doesn't concentrate stress on the cable like a soldered joint does.

However, DIY crimping tools are not great unless you spend quite a bit, and you need exactly the right size connector for the wire, and the right tool for the connector. I must admit, if I need to connect something to a car loom I generally use a solder joint, but I make sure it's supported by heat shrink sleeving and, preferably, cable tied to something solid locally to stop the wire flexing.

Don't use a scotchlok, whatever you do. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 June 2017, 00:10:18 »

No fear! When I first got my kit car (more than a decade ago), I spent an unpleasant 3 weeks one summer removing about 100 scotch locks and trying to decipher the loom. The sadistic b@stard who built the damn thing only used light blue wires - and I mean for EVERYTHING!  >:(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 June 2017, 00:36:07 »

I usually take the car to work and get a professional to do it. I struggle to solder with two hands, Christ knows how Webby would even attempt it.  ::)

Scalding hot solder gun held under my "small arm" 😂 Twisted wires sat carefully on top of iron. When all wires hot enough solder flows through. But it's a right ball ache if they are thick wires as takes ages to heat. These heat shrink connectors are done in a couple of minutes even by me 😂

You must be very determined mate. I would like to try to replicate this, just to see how difficult it is, but I know I would burn holes in myself from head to toe.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 June 2017, 08:04:11 »

No fear! When I first got my kit car (more than a decade ago), I spent an unpleasant 3 weeks one summer removing about 100 scotch locks and trying to decipher the loom. The sadistic b@stard who built the damn thing only used light blue wires - and I mean for EVERYTHING!  >:(

Rewiring MrsGKs Polo,half the wires for the banging sound system were Scotchlocked, half of them twisted together and taped... Several of them burnt!
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 June 2017, 09:26:59 »

I usually take the car to work and get a professional to do it. I struggle to solder with two hands, Christ knows how Webby would even attempt it.  ::)

Scalding hot solder gun held under my "small arm" 😂 Twisted wires sat carefully on top of iron. When all wires hot enough solder flows through. But it's a right ball ache if they are thick wires as takes ages to heat. These heat shrink connectors are done in a couple of minutes even by me 😂

You must be very determined mate. I would like to try to replicate this, just to see how difficult it is, but I know I would burn holes in myself from head to toe.  ::) ;D

Yes, indeed. I take my hat off to you, Webby. :y Since "electron herding" is my hobby, I do quite a lot of soldering and normally two hands aren't quite enough.

I find a "helping hands" very useful in this scenario.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Helping-Hand-Work-Aid/30-7666?gclid=CJrjoeuyutQCFUQz0wod-YEKnA

You can use it to hold the wire and connector in place, then you can apply the solder and iron.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 June 2017, 10:52:03 »

Yes, indeed. I take my hat off to you, Webby. :y Since "electron herding" is my hobby, I do quite a lot of soldering and normally two hands aren't quite enough.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Helping-Hand-Work-Aid/30-7666?gclid=CJrjoeuyutQCFUQz0wod-YEKnA

You can use it to hold the wire and connector in place, then you can apply the solder and iron.

An excellent tool, i have had mine for years, and cannot imagine how I managed to solder before I had it.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 June 2017, 10:57:53 »

An excellent tool, i have had mine for years, and cannot imagine how I managed to solder before I had it.

I went for 2 stacks of magazines, with one wire sandwiched in the middle of each stack. That said, if I had to do more than half a dozen wires every decade or so, I might have to invest in an alternative solution!  ;D

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 June 2017, 12:42:16 »

Bloody hell! I've got one of those...wondered what it was  for ::)
I like red cars

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 June 2017, 12:49:33 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 June 2017, 18:01:19 »

In my yoof I used to work for a company that manu'd 16/18in 10/12 copper layer circuit boards.
All the components were surface mounted.....
When they didn't work I had to fault find them and change the duff component.....

This involved peering through a dual microscope just to see what you were doing and the soldering iron tip was heated with RF energy as it so fine...IIRC the soldering irons cost about £500 each and the tips for the irons about £50 each.....which would need replacing every week as the irons were left on 8/10hrs a day........

Probably what buggared up my eyesight...... :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13 June 2017, 19:05:07 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I see them all over the place on work and had no idea what they were for either.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 June 2017, 19:13:17 »

Handy bits of kit, not that I've replaced mine following the garage incident.  I should really.  And its my burfday soon.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.