Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Project MV6  (Read 10956 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Project MV6
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2017, 18:22:30 »

Can do it one handed if required  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2017, 20:06:02 »

Here are a few photo's after the MOT and the valet. As you can see, not perfect, but presentable enough for her age:

Damage to NSF door:

James was recommended a lad to come and touch up the paint. I finally got round to taking some pictures of his handiwork on the NSF door.

How on earth the lad achieved that is beyond me (& how James managed to keep his cool)

"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2017, 20:14:38 »

They say a picture paints a thousand words, but... opps me that atrocious :o

Bodging 101... always remove the trim  and never spray outside when it's snowing ::)

The scuffs could have been treated differently prior to polishing, and might not then have required spraying at all. Shame really :'(

But nothing a new door won't fix ;)
« Last Edit: 19 February 2017, 20:27:55 by Doctor Gollum »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2017, 23:33:49 »

Message incoming
« Last Edit: 19 February 2017, 23:36:23 by JamesV6CDX »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2017, 10:53:31 »

Crikey! A rattle can from Halfrauds and no prep work whatsoever and I reckon you'd achieve a better finish! :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2017, 10:58:10 »

The load cover fits fine but I seem to be missing some pieces from the runners :-\

The two end pieces that you are missing also hold the load cover in a 'compressed' state for easy removal. As said, you normally slide the load cover rearward until it clicks in to the missing parts. Little red tabs pop out and lock the runner rollers all together for easy removal. You then pull rearward and tilt the front of the missing part up to remove. The load cover then comes out with all of the rollers held tight in the missing parts:y

I'd never worked that out, my life will be so much easier now!  :-[
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2017, 12:41:20 »

Crikey! A rattle can from Halfrauds and no prep work whatsoever and I reckon you'd achieve a better finish! :o

It was me that put those scuffs there ( a very tight parking space with concrete posts and a lack of concentration >:(  )

Even with just the coloured t-cut stuff from Halfords, they almost disappeared. That's a terrible job, even I could have done better, and that is saying something.  Ah well . . . .
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2017, 16:53:32 »

An afternoon spent with some decent cutting compounds and a couple of layers of quality resin polish would have seen them all but removed.

Looks like the Valet place went straight from washing to polishing with minimal effort and whoever painted it did it blindfolded in near freezing temperatures without having first removed the polish.

I suspect a forty years old tin of humbrol enamel with a size 6 brush would have produced a better result.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2017, 17:50:08 »

I think James had his name on a replacement door, of the correct colour, up in Nottingham but didn't have a chance to collect it before he changed his plans and sold the car.

I have even less chance of making a round trip of 500 miles to pick up a door so I am going to live with it until I decide whether it is less effort to dig out the spray gun or swap the door.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2017, 20:04:11 »

Message incoming
Hi James
No message received :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2017, 21:33:42 »

Sorry, busy day - was just to mention there's a possibility I may be up in Nottingham soon, and may be able to assist with relay / partial relay of one of those immaculate £25 doors... by far the best solution :y

In fairness to the chap who attempted to spray it, when he bumped into me recently,  he said he had an "accident" eg knocked into the wet paint, meaning he couldn't repair it and respray until totally dry, and would have had to come back. I don't recall being told that, and wouldn't have asked him to return anyway.

I have always been honest in as much as suspension and bodywork are not my forte - but I too reckon I could have done a much better job with a rattle can  >:(

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2017, 21:56:29 »

If I can find a way to get my hands on one of those doors I would be very happy.

I am in no particular hurry - the door on the car works very well as a door and I can't see the paint from the drivers seat ;D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2017, 22:24:54 »

Today I fitted the original MID to the replacement instrument cluster and then drove it to work (20 miles each way).

I like it, I like it a lot. It feels solid and goes well. I won't mind sorting out a few 'cosmetic' issues because the underlying car seems to be a good one.

I am undecided about the suspected wheel bearing noise :-\ There were a couple of stretches of road where I could get some speed up and the noise of the exhaust struck me as louder than anything else. Lifting off the throttle at speed seemed to eliminate the noise  :-\ so I will wait and see on that one.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 February 2017, 22:31:21 »

I'm pleased you like driving it. I felt exactly the same - it's a nice place to be on the road.

Ref the wheel bearing, I also wondered about the noise in the same way you mentioned, however - try sharp cornering in either direction, you will notice when swinging one way, the noise goes, and then when you straighten, it's back ...

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 February 2017, 22:46:45 »

When I got my first Omega (a 1994 2.5 CD manual) I thought the wheel bearings were noisy but the noise was actually caused by the inner rear brake pads rusting solid in the calipers and the inner faces of the brake discs becoming rusty and pitted due to lack of use.

The MOT tester found/fixed the problem by standing on the brake pedal on the roller brake test. There were two bangs, a cloud of rusty dust and he was then able to give me a pass for the brake test ;D

I haven't had a chance to get the rear wheels off to check yet but it feels the same to me (plus I had a near brown trouser moment this morning approaching a T junction - I don't think it stops as well as my 2.6 and I had to press noticeably harder on the  pedal)
« Last Edit: 20 February 2017, 22:49:25 by Andy H »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.