Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head unit or speakers?  (Read 4439 times)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
Head unit or speakers?
« on: 06 July 2017, 02:27:16 »

Some idiot fitted an aftermarket Sony unit to my car. I only get sound from the front and rear left speakers and the driver's tweeter. There is nothing from the driver's rear or bass from the driver's speaker. I've checked the wiring and balance, still not joy. What do you think, head unit or speakers blown? To get the oem head unit will cost about £75 from EBay, or a new DAB Sony unit £100. But if the speakers are blown, it's pointless? Any suggestions? Thanks.

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
Re: Head unit or speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2017, 07:16:01 »

Can you not swap front door speakers temporarily, to confirm which is at fault?
HTH

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2017, 07:24:05 »

The tweeter will be blown, but easy to replace

the rears how ever could be faded out in the  sound settings.
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2017, 12:54:05 »

The tweeter will be blown, but easy to replace

the rears how ever could be faded out in the  sound settings.

They are not faded out. Left rear fine, right nothing. Not tweeter or bass. Driver's speaker tweeter only, no bass.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2017, 13:15:45 »

there is no rear tweeter .if front drivers tweeter is working then sound must be getting to the door so sounds like bass speaker is u/s or wire come off. same for rear door.i assume left front tweeter ok? .so its probably faulty speakers but you will need door trim off to confirm.rear ones be carefull top strip doesnt tear off door trim when removing. or alternately can you confirm continuity at head unit ?

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2017, 23:27:58 »

there is no rear tweeter .if front drivers tweeter is working then sound must be getting to the door so sounds like bass speaker is u/s or wire come off. same for rear door.i assume left front tweeter ok? .so its probably faulty speakers but you will need door trim off to confirm.rear ones be carefull top strip doesnt tear off door trim when removing. or alternately can you confirm continuity at head unit ?

Yes, left front tweeter is fine. No, I cannot confirm continuity at the head unit. I've got two options, get another ISO lead to convert for a Sony head unit, or get another head unit, OEM or DAB. But I don't want to spend the money on another head unit if the speakers are the problem. Is there a guide to removing door trim front and rear? The top of the trim is lose on both front doors, so I assume, somebody has had them off at some point.  Possibly in relation to the speakers?

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2017, 08:45:22 »

It may be the loom, my alpine unit looses the rears when I push it back so have to fiddle with it till it works then finally shove it into the dash

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2017, 14:32:15 »

You dont say what year your Omega is... that might help...

It does sound like you have speakers or wiring at fault, need to remove the doorcards to check the wiring...

You probably wont have any speakers in the rear shelf or in the rear doors, it all depends on what was installed and the model/year and spec of your Omega....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2017, 21:15:10 »

You dont say what year your Omega is... that might help...

It does sound like you have speakers or wiring at fault, need to remove the doorcards to check the wiring...

You probably wont have any speakers in the rear shelf or in the rear doors, it all depends on what was installed and the model/year and spec of your Omega....

2001 2.6 cdx.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2017, 21:15:49 »

It may be the loom, my alpine unit looses the rears when I push it back so have to fiddle with it till it works then finally shove it into the dash

Even with the head unit out, they don't work?

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2017, 00:28:58 »

No they don't. I don't know how to strip the door down too check the speaker?

powerslinky

« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2017, 09:07:01 »

Check out the  maintenance guide index under
"Trim,Cosmetic,Body" then the  sub -section "Door card removal -Facelift"   ;)  fairly straight forward to do .  I seem to recall that I did once change a speaker by partly releasing the door card & lifting it up without releasing from the top , where they are usually stuck to the door inner section . Speaker is simply held in by 3 screws which you will see once door card is removed/lifted  ;)
« Last Edit: 08 July 2017, 09:14:02 by Essex Big Al »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2017, 18:43:39 »

Easiest way to check speakers whilst head unit is out is a 1.5v aa battery with two wires on. Identify the speaker connections and test . 1.5v battery wont damage anything and each speaker will give a click as you power on and off but in your case if you havnt been able to find continuity from there then it does sound like actual faulty speakers. .so its a door trim off job unless you can just get to them like someone just suggested from "opening the bottom" ....just as a side point. The new head unit fitted isnt ridiculously higher powered than an original and thats why theyve blown ? .

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2017, 11:33:51 »

More than likely the speakers have blown because of water ingress to the paper cone...

I had an Elite and completely rebuilt the sound system by removing the BOSE system and wiring loom and installing my own. I wasn't impressed with the BOSE system at all..

I installed new speakers in the front doors (mids and tweeters) and new speakers in the rear doors (2 way co-axials), had a subwoofer installed in the boot in its own box tuned to match the speaker (JL Audio 12") and mids installed in the rear shelf where the subs for the BOSE system was installed. The sub and rear deck speakers where all powered from 2 amps, 1 dedicated to the sub and 1 dedicated to the rear deck speakers...

They system was all connected to an Alpine Multi media system (D310r) which I still have. It might be a tad cumbersome with the amount of equipment connected to the "brain" but it sounds very very good and is still used in sound off competitions today...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2017, 16:32:12 »

Check out the  maintenance guide index under
"Trim,Cosmetic,Body" then the  sub -section "Door card removal -Facelift"   ;)  fairly straight forward to do .  I seem to recall that I did once change a speaker by partly releasing the door card & lifting it up without releasing from the top , where they are usually stuck to the door inner section . Speaker is simply held in by 3 screws which you will see once door card is removed/lifted  ;)

Cheers. Had a look at the guide, I assume it is the same procedure for the rear door? So I might be able to pull the bottom out enough to replace the speaker, without have to remove the whole panel?

powerslinky

« Reply #15 on: 09 July 2017, 16:46:33 »

If your door cards have been previously removed, you may as well take it/them off .
The issue arises where they are glued ( I think) along the top edge at the factory.  They take a fair whack to get them off once all the fixings are removed .
Rear is very similar to the front to remove . As I remember there is one central fixing which is hidden & takes a little thought to locate it . I think it is behind a cover plate or bung . Once door card is off ,speaker removal & access is easy.  If one side is working , just swap speakers & see what occurs.  Good luck  ;)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 July 2017, 22:10:09 »

If your door cards have been previously removed, you may as well take it/them off .
The issue arises where they are glued ( I think) along the top edge at the factory.  They take a fair whack to get them off once all the fixings are removed .
Rear is very similar to the front to remove . As I remember there is one central fixing which is hidden & takes a little thought to locate it . I think it is behind a cover plate or bung . Once door card is off ,speaker removal & access is easy.  If one side is working , just swap speakers & see what occurs.  Good luck  ;)

The front door cards definitely have been, as they are lose. The rears haven't. Thats what I need to do when refitting the fronts, glue them down? Been meaning to do that since I bought the car.

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2017, 22:32:51 »

There is a strip at the top that hooks into the door, which comes loose 

Silkaflex or gripfill is your best bet

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2017, 22:49:26 »

Quick time out as there's some 'dangle berries's knocking about...

The door card is manufactured with a plastic angle strip bonded under the top edge.

The inner skin of the door has several spring clips fitted to it.

The door card is fitted by first lowering the plastic strip into the metal clips and pushing firmly down. The various screws are then fitted securing the door card to the door.

Removal is the reverse.

Mistreatment results in the plastic strip coming away from the door card. This is what requires glueing... The plastic strip to the door card, nothing more, nothing less.

Contact adhesive is suitably suitable.
 :y
« Last Edit: 09 July 2017, 22:54:41 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 July 2017, 09:23:02 »

Quick time out as there's some 'dangle berries's knocking about...

The door card is manufactured with a plastic angle strip bonded under the top edge.

The inner skin of the door has several spring clips fitted to it.

The door card is fitted by first lowering the plastic strip into the metal clips and pushing firmly down. The various screws are then fitted securing the door card to the door.

Removal is the reverse.

Mistreatment results in the plastic strip coming away from the door card. This is what requires glueing... The plastic strip to the door card, nothing more, nothing less.

Contact adhesive is suitably suitable.
 :y

^^^^^^ This is how to sort out your doorcards....

The bottom will pull out to gain access to the speaker, but you will most likely also destroy the doorcard at the same time... Don't be afraid to remove the doorcard, its not a hard process and requires a " + " screwdriver and possibly a small lever - maybe a plastic scraper type to remove the doorcard off the door with the plastic keepers...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2017, 18:46:50 »

Bought a secondhand rear and front omega spreakers from eBay. When to fit and too my surprise, the last owner had upgraded all the speakers to 60w pioneers, with a 4x65w Sony headed unit. I thought great now the speakers will not match. Fitted the omega front and the sound was cutting out. So I thought are the pioneers o.k and it is a wiring issue? Turns out it was the connectors, after some fiddling, refitted both pioneers and their working perfectly now. Systems sounds great, worth the three hours stripping both doors down😀
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.