Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.6 vs 3.2 oxygen sensor  (Read 1578 times)

Opomes

• Estonia
    • Opel Omega B 2002 3.2
    • View Profile
2.6 vs 3.2 oxygen sensor
« on: 29 August 2017, 09:05:55 »

Hello,

I'm intending to replace my oxygen sensors on my 3.2 V6. The ones which are located in between the 2 catalytic converters. The reason being I get fault codes and the check engine light is on. I've read that it is relocate oxygen sensor post cat, but before doing so I'm going to change the sensors. They seem very old, probably from the time the car rolled out of the factory.
And I've seen sensors for sale for 2.6 V6, but the 3.2 isn't on the compatibility list - are the interchangeable or not?
Also which company is preferred by the OOF - Magnet Marelli, Denso or Bosch? The latter sounds like German quality, but recently I've noticed that the oil and the fuel filter I've bought were made in Spain.

Best regards.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 vs 3.2 oxygen sensor
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2017, 09:09:34 »

The sensors are the same, but it's very unlikely that the sensors themselves are at fault. It's simply that the pre-cats have degraded so that they no longer activate quickly enough for the emissions monitoring.

The sensors can also be extremely difficult to remove.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Opomes

• Estonia
    • Opel Omega B 2002 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2017, 10:24:43 »

Bosch recommends changing the sensors after 160000 km, the car has done 215 something. They look quite bad/old from the outside. And yes I've already experienced the difficulty when I was trying to remove them :).
Can the sensor location be changed while the exhaust system is attached to the car?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2017, 11:17:29 »

Yes they can, I would spray the outside bolt with plus-gas or other penetrating oil a few days before. I did manage to remove mine, access is not that bad.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2017, 11:30:37 »

Bosch recommends changing the sensors after 160000 km, the car has done 215 something. They look quite bad/old from the outside. And yes I've already experienced the difficulty when I was trying to remove them :).
Can the sensor location be changed while the exhaust system is attached to the car?

My car has done more than double that mileage on the original sensors and they are still fine. I guess Bosch like selling sensors. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2017, 14:06:50 »

Its a common problem problem on the 3.2's, just move the sensors back as per the guide.

Opomes

• Estonia
    • Opel Omega B 2002 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2017, 15:41:37 »

My car has done more than double that mileage on the original sensors and they are still fine. I guess Bosch like selling sensors. ;)
But the sensors are relocated to post-cat? If so, do you know at what mileage was that done at? Also were the P0420 and P0430 codes present before post-cat relocation and did they disappear after the relocating?
Just trying to figure out if it's worth to pay the ~100€ for the double sensors and then let them be relocating or just go straight to a exhaust system workshop and get it done.

Best regards.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2017, 15:49:31 »

But the sensors are relocated to post-cat? If so, do you know at what mileage was that done at? Also were the P0420 and P0430 codes present before post-cat relocation and did they disappear after the relocating?
Just trying to figure out if it's worth to pay the ~100€ for the double sensors and then let them be relocating or just go straight to a exhaust system workshop and get it done.

Best regards.
This,  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2017, 15:55:26 »

Best regards.

The sensors are not the problem, they are reading correctly. The issue is the pre-cats degrade, they are not as efficient as they used to be. By moving the sensors post main-cat you get a more accurate reading, the originals will be fine, they just need to be moved.  :)

Opomes

• Estonia
    • Opel Omega B 2002 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2017, 16:59:09 »

Thank you.
You've been very helpful. :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.