Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slight misfire when settling to tickover 2.6 V6  (Read 1233 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Slight misfire when settling to tickover 2.6 V6
« on: 31 August 2017, 21:31:32 »

Hi Guys

Wondering about this one. 2.6 V6 I done the belt/rockers etc. some months ago and was fine, and still is except for a slight fut fut fut started a week or so ago. Mentioning belt as that is only real engine work ever done on it - by me.

I noticed there was water leaking into engine bay early on in week as the car sits facing slightly downward in my drive, and we had a good bit of rain the last week or so, so I fixed it all the other day to stop leak. I could see a wee puddle at the front of the coil pack on the rocker cover.

This was when I started noticing slight misfire at tickover. Granted it seems like this is what is causing it however have been sitting a few days with no leaks and been dry since then. Started it the night and usual revs up at start then it died down to tickover and putt putt putt, then kind clears itself, give it another wee tap on the gas same thing, drops down putt putt putt then kind of clears.

Not every time this happens and generally putting it in drive and whapping the gas seems fine.

Think just water dampness got to dry out perhaps? I did put a very light smearing of grease round the coil pack rubber seal when I put them back on during TB work, so can't imagine much if any water has got in there. One coil is new.

Sprinkling non-misfire dust over my omega the night!

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Slight misfire when settling to tickover 2.6 V6
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2017, 22:50:46 »

I would say that this bit of water you have seen has actually been happening for longer than you think, and there will be good chance of water in the plug wells, especially 246 (passenger side).
I presume there have been no noticeable misfires that have put the EML on?
I personally would remove the older coil pack (hopefully it is 135 as this is the easiest / quickest to do) and check the underside of it for any signs of corrosion on the visible metal, or for any slight cracking in the plastic of each individual coil. If there is, a minor bit of surface corrosion is acceptable, heavy rusting not so good, but cracks - bin it and replace that coil pack. Check the plugs whilst you are in there to see if they look like they have been recently changed - if not, replace them as well - VX plugs aren't expensive.  If that's the side with the new coil pack, and it's dry, then do 246 which basically involves moving more to gain access but isn't really difficult to do.
Is the replacement coil pack a genuine GM / Bosch or another make - I would prefer to stick with genuine / Bosch and not aftermarket. If the misfire is still there after checking 135, then you'll have to do 246 anyway to check for any water in there and the condition of the coil pack and plugs.
And then seal the scuttle as recommended to hopefully reduce any further water ingress.
And then see how it goes before doing anything else.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2017, 07:25:33 »

I would say that this bit of water you have seen has actually been happening for longer than you think, and there will be good chance of water in the plug wells, especially 246 (passenger side).
I presume there have been no noticeable misfires that have put the EML on?
I personally would remove the older coil pack (hopefully it is 135 as this is the easiest / quickest to do) and check the underside of it for any signs of corrosieon on the visible metal, or for any slight cracking in the plastic of each individual coil. If there is, a minor bit of surface corrosion is acceptable, heavy rusting not so good, but cracks - bin it and replace that coil pack. Check the plugs whilst you are in there to see if they look like they have been recently changed - if not, replace them as well - VX plugs aren't expensive.  If that's the side with the new coil pack, and it's dry, then do 246 which basically involves moving more to gain access but isn't really difficult to do.
Is the replacement coil pack a genuine GM / Bosch or another make - I would prefer to stick with genuine / Bosch and not aftermarket. If the misfire is still there after checking 135, then you'll have to do 246 anyway to check for any water in there and the condition of the coil pack and plugs.
And then seal the scuttle as recommended to hopefully reduce any further water ingress.
And then see how it goes before doing anything else.

You are right, it has been leaking since i got it, and likely before that. When i done TB  work, i stripped coils and rocker covers to change gasket, the coil on drivers side was rotten so replaced withgen bosch one 100+ bucks lighter. In all that time though, no misfire, which is making me wonder, why now? Taking it on a bit of a run today, so if that doesn't dry it out something is amiss. Will need to strip coils out check for oil/,water. Haven't seen any eml yet. Fine on my run to work this morning so here's hopeing.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2017, 07:27:32 by grifter »

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2017, 09:10:03 »

If the drivers side (135) coil pack was knackered there is every chance that the pass side 246 is as well, especially as that side is more prone to water in the plug wells.
Unfortunately by the time water causes a problem, there is too much water for a run to dry up. Removing it is the only option; to dry up the water, examine the condition of the coil pack, but I d be tempted to renew it, replace the plugs, seal the scuttle, and then hopefully you'll be ok.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2017, 19:34:05 »

Took packs out tonight, the 246 one was replaced with a genuine Bosch one when I done the TB work, however the 135 one, which looked fine, was kept. I noticed tonight there was a slight crack on the plastic where it bonds to the internal metal, perhaps indicating corrosion on the inside on one of the plugs on the 135 coil. The metal looks ok, although not as bright as the new one.

The new 246 coil however does look a bit less shiny on the little springs inside the spark plug sleeves. Not sure if that is damp or what.

This is the slight crack I can see on the middle of the 4 plastic holes where it bonds on the 13 coil.

This is the 246 coil:

Thinking on treating it to a new set of plugs. Would you condemn that coil for that small crack? Any thoughts? I'm going to have them sit on the window sill in the sun for a couple of days to let any moisture out.

Also, the scuttle is not leaking at the passenger side anymore, but is pouring out below the wiper on drivers side, luckily the water is dripping straight down past the steering box to the deck. While this is not hitting the plug area, at least when not driving, I would like to get that fixed. I did put a bit of tape over the wiper hole, as it was leaking through that. The foam seal had seen better days. However initially that looked to have fixed it, but is dripping out again.

Any thoughts on fixing the wiper hole properly without removing it all again. Not that I don't mind removing it, however I had sealed the other end and will break the seal if I remove it again. Thinking I could take wiper arm off, get a square bit of duck tape, small hole in it for wiper spindle, put a dab of grease at hole to stop it sticking to wiper spindle, then place it over the hole.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 06 September 2017, 19:44:28 by grifter »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2017, 20:02:55 »

I believe others on here have used the black cam cover gasket sealant on this area,so maybe some silicone sealer round the edge of the spindle hole would be a better bet than tape?

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2017, 20:28:03 »

I believe others on here have used the black cam cover gasket sealant on this area,so maybe some silicone sealer round the edge of the spindle hole would be a better bet than tape?

Will give it a shot, if it is up round the spindle, like a cone shape that should stop it running in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.