Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gear stick knob removel  (Read 1220 times)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
gear stick knob removel
« on: 08 September 2017, 00:27:35 »

is there any way to get the gear stick knob off to get to the lifter for reverse as its split in 2. Its still attached to the leather gaiter cover, it seams to be some sort of rubber but its very brittle, is there away of just replacing it, as been looking for another stick but only keep finding automatic type. ? cannot find a screw or a nut that would hold it on ? ???

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: gear stick knob removel
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2017, 13:51:55 »

I never found one, it seems to be stuck on. I had a similar problem, eventually using a gear lever off a car I was scrapping. Is this your problem?

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2017, 14:42:28 »

Yeah so it's accessed at the bottom with 2 clips ? I've glued it back on and put a rubber round and glued that on looks like it's snapped off before. It's the black rubber litter so you can move to reverse gear. Still works just split. Rubber had gone can leave a mark in the rubber with your nail. So if it's the 2 clips on the ball how does the lifter fit as not looked as would have to cut off the rubber as it has 2 metal rings holding the inner rubber boot on.?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2017, 19:15:36 »

This pic may explain. The lever base is held down by 4 screws (accessed from below), that engage in 2 curved threaded plates. The reverse gear lifter raises the substantial blocking piece, to avoid reverse being engaged inadvertantly. The second inside gasket simply grips around a curved plate, and can be removed by unpeeling it from its holding plate.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2017, 20:15:48 »

Thanks I will look into that. And have ago at getting it off, I will get another one as soon as I can find one. Some one was selling a aluminium for 2002 model was wondering if that would fit a 96 but he has not gotten back to me. Looks the same in pic.  But the glueing done with rubber ring glued over the split seams to be holding. Hopefully it lasts for awhile. As cannot get under Mig in this weather. Thank you :)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2017, 21:59:01 »

its a nice looking  ::) ::) i will look into it looks a lot newer and might look a bit out of place, the aluminum one that has the lifter is black coated so not really noticeable and has the original knob on top but as its not rubber should not be afected by the heat from the sun that can get into themig on hot days. thanks for the link  :y 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.