Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water under front passenger mat  (Read 2084 times)

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
Water under front passenger mat
« on: 12 September 2017, 17:19:10 »

Hi folks.

An issue that has never really gone away, and seems to be getting worse. Is there any other way the water can be getting in as the scuttle is definately not blocked?

Water seems to be getting in a foot or so above the passenger footwell on the same level as the bottom of the glovebox. Pulling back the carpet there is a roundish piece of foam, separate and above the main floor foam, that is soaking wet. Water is then dripping from here to soak the passenger footwell. I am thinking that somehow water is not flowing into the scuttle properly and diverting off around the back of the airbox in the scuttle area.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2017, 17:24:21 by berserkerboy »

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
Re: Water under front passenger mat
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2017, 18:18:40 »

I had the same on mine.

Basically, on the outside where 3 big bits of metal meet in the wheel arch, it had rusted on the join.

From the inside with the foam removed, I could see a rust patch that, when pushed, simply disintegrated and left a hole that was now visible from the outside.

I cleaned it all up and patched it from both sides and have never had a problem since.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2017, 21:02:34 »

Blocked scuttle drain.
Hoof'land storeman.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2017, 21:29:26 »

I had the same on mine.

Basically, on the outside where 3 big bits of metal meet in the wheel arch, it had rusted on the join.

From the inside with the foam removed, I could see a rust patch that, when pushed, simply disintegrated and left a hole that was now visible from the outside.

I cleaned it all up and patched it from both sides and have never had a problem since.

Next dry day...Ha Ha! I'll check to see if that's the problem. Sounds likely. What did you use to patch?

The scuttle is defo clear.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2017, 16:55:41 »

There is quite alot of rust at the back of the scuttle area. Where the metal plates have been seamed together it looks rusted enough to be perforated. I have put the car under cover and am trying to dry out the foam inside the car. This isn't easy as it doesn't want to come out. Rags stuffed in to try and absorb water. I'm thinking I'll whack a thick coat or two of bitumin paint into the scuttle side to try and make a waterproof membrane. Access isn't great as the airbox/pollen filter carrier is in the way. Will let you know the results.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2017, 17:10:27 »

there is that sealer that is said to work on wet surfaces.Never tried it myself. Advertised  for drain pipes etc.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2017, 17:15:48 »

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2017, 17:57:28 »

See this topic

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0

Thanks Ian. So the leak was where I think mine is. I would use a sealant such as gutter sealant but the access is too difficult. I'm thinking if I can get the area in the scuttle area dry enough then the bitumin paint will seal everything as it is nice and viscous. :)

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2017, 18:20:01 »

I ground out he hole until I had bare metal.

Then, I cut 2 small plates and shaped them accordingly to fit to the bodywork inside and out before sealing them both on with a Bodyshop adhesive sealer as used on VW and BMW repairs.

They were then sealed inside and out round the edges before being covered with a stone chip product.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2017, 19:01:22 »

You can get gutter sealant in aerosol form - "Roof Trade", from B&Q, if that helps?

Ron.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2017, 08:42:15 »

Think I have discovered the problem. Autoglass replaced the windscreen soon after I got the car about 3 years ago. The repair looked okay so I trusted they had done it properly. However, they actually made a real pigs ear of it: The top of the screen sits nicely in the seal. However at both corners at the top the guy has let the glass ride out of the groove in the seal so that both sides are not in at all. I have not looked at other omegas to see if this is how they all go but I would imagine not? The bottom seal is separate from the top and sides and sits nicely,  apart from the corners where it has dropped down.
I'm annoyed at myself for not noticing it at the time but it all looked symmetrical.
Gonna contact them to see if they are willing to rectify the problem but I imagine not.
In the meantime I have put clear silicone around around all ingress areas.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2017, 09:01:07 »

The screen and workmanship have a guarantee for as long as I own the car. They are gonna come and inspect their work. :)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2017, 12:19:11 »

i have just examined my two for you. the windcreen fits tightly up to the trim across the top and then tapers out at each corner to a wider groove.this continues as a wider groove down both sides to the bottom.so yours sounds correct. if you google ' vauxhall omega windscreen' you can almost make it out in the 3rd picture on images. so unless yours is wrong i would stilll guess that your leak is from the pollen filter box .finding small water leaks on cars is always a tricky business and can sometimes bo so misleading as the water runs along ledges etc and pops out somewhere else.if you havnt already done so you need to pull the carpet and insulation back out of the footwell and have a good look. there may be obvious stains or rusty lines. usual idea is to watch carefully whilst a helper pours water in with a hose. concentrate on the pollen filter box before getting windscreen wet as water cant run uphill!. it could still be the windscreen of course but best to check all options. THEN once you know it all depends on how long you intend to keep car. sealing over a rusty hole wont help much and only be temporary as the rust will still be making the hole bigger .cleaning all the rust off if you can even get to it and sealing would be a second best but still not ideal only real way to stop any rust is by grinding/ sawing/ cutting etc it all away back to fresh clean metal (from inside the car as / if easier) then making repair piece and welding in place.dependant on how much or how. big someone has suggested using the body construction adhesive instead .this could be fine ? . then obviously once all done a good coat of sealant will protect and make waterproof. a la originally made !

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2017, 21:28:08 »

i have just examined my two for you. the windcreen fits tightly up to the trim across the top and then tapers out at each corner to a wider groove.this continues as a wider groove down both sides to the bottom.so yours sounds correct. if you google ' vauxhall omega windscreen' you can almost make it out in the 3rd picture on images. so unless yours is wrong i would stilll guess that your leak is from the pollen filter box .finding small water leaks on cars is always a tricky business and can sometimes bo so misleading as the water runs along ledges etc and pops out somewhere else.if you havnt already done so you need to pull the carpet and insulation back out of the footwell and have a good look. there may be obvious stains or rusty lines. usual idea is to watch carefully whilst a helper pours water in with a hose. concentrate on the pollen filter box before getting windscreen wet as water cant run uphill!. it could still be the windscreen of course but best to check all options. THEN once you know it all depends on how long you intend to keep car. sealing over a rusty hole wont help much and only be temporary as the rust will still be making the hole bigger .cleaning all the rust off if you can even get to it and sealing would be a second best but still not ideal only real way to stop any rust is by grinding/ sawing/ cutting etc it all away back to fresh clean metal (from inside the car as / if easier) then making repair piece and welding in place.dependant on how much or how. big someone has suggested using the body construction adhesive instead .this could be fine ? . then obviously once all done a good coat of sealant will protect and make waterproof. a la originally made !
Thanks very much. I think mine is right then. Autoglass are keen to come check their work even though I have told them I think all is okay. The bottom seal on mine had dropped at both corners for about 6 inches. I have put sealant all around the seal so that the only way for the water to go is into the scuttle as it should. I think water has been finding its way to the rear of the pollen filter housing and into the car from there. I'm sure the car only has another year in her so I'm hoping the measures I have taken will work and last until then. :'(

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2017, 22:00:42 »

if. your only keeping car another year then no worries. the bottom windscreen seal falling off is a common fault and lets water behind into all sorts of undesirable places !. we all mentioned pollen filter box cos thats the usual culprit to check first
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.