Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the point......  (Read 3540 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point......
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2017, 19:46:12 »

It seems as though you'd prefer the "Brexit negotiators" just cough up the Ł100 billion and roll over on all the other points that the EU are being so intransigent about in their absurd phased 'negotiations'.  ::)

If they did that though, it would really prove your point about the UK becoming diminished and irrelevant!  ;)  ::)

Definitely not, my preference would be that we are not doing it at all. But that is not the reality. That said, I will not be jumping on the "we're all in this together" bandwagon, that isn't how these things work. I don't think Ł100bn is the number, but equally I don't thing just walking away is a viable option either as, regardless of how the next 4-10yrs pan out we will need a relationship with the eu going forward.

We are, what 25% through the process and "we" have already given way on a number of key pieces of the "brexit means brexit" cobblers of 2016. Many more pieces will doubtless follow. It is their club and their rules, which one way or another we will play by sooner or later.

As time goes on my guess is Theresa will compromise far more than those 'dastardly foreign fiends' from across the channel. :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2017, 19:59:42 »

No chance.

David Davis will go over there, wave a British bulldog in their faces, quote something about fighting them on the beaches at them and the cheese/sausage eating surrender monkeys will throw in the towel.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2017, 20:06:29 »

They don’t like it up ‘em, Captain Mainwaring.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 September 2017, 20:09:48 »

They don’t like it up ‘em, Captain Mainwaring.

If it all goes tits up Walmington-on Sea may be our first line of defence against the evil hun.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 September 2017, 20:22:54 »

It seems as though you'd prefer the "Brexit negotiators" just cough up the Ł100 billion and roll over on all the other points that the EU are being so intransigent about in their absurd phased 'negotiations'.  ::)

If they did that though, it would really prove your point about the UK becoming diminished and irrelevant!  ;)  ::)

Definitely not, my preference would be that we are not doing it at all. But that is not the reality. That said, I will not be jumping on the "we're all in this together" bandwagon, that isn't how these things work. I don't think Ł100bn is the number, but equally I don't thing just walking away is a viable option either as, regardless of how the next 4-10yrs pan out we will need a relationship with the eu going forward.

We are, what 25% through the process and "we" have already given way on a number of key pieces of the "brexit means brexit" cobblers of 2016. Many more pieces will doubtless follow. It is their club and their rules, which one way or another we will play by sooner or later.

I agree. :y

What so many people in this country expect is everything in an instant.  They believe in the simple and ignore all laws, standards, honour and decency.  They believe, I think, that we the British have still got an empire and every country should obey our demands at an instant, with our gun boats going in if they do not adhere to our wishes.

We lost our absolute power, at the latest, in 1956, when we were proved to be absolutely reliant on the USA.  In 1975 the Government of the day, in the shape of Edward Heath, signed away, with the blessing of the majority of the population, our independent rights to enter the Common Market.  Since then the Country by way of the elected government of the day, have gone along with it all, tightening our legal and economic ties because it suited us.

Now those who voted to leave the EU are now finding out how naive they were in apparently thinking it would be a simple process to untie the knot. Remainers like me had the foresight to ignore all the bullshit of tempting offers by a certain sect of politicians and recognise how complicated leaving would be, predicting we would be financially worse of.

So the Brexiteers are not happy with how it is going?  What a surprise, and I for one have no sympathy with them. They created this strange political bed, so let them lie on it!!

As I keep on referring to:

Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
   Someone had blundered.
   Theirs not to make reply,
   Theirs not to reason why,
   Theirs but to do and die.
   Into the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.

III
Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
   Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
   Rode the six hundred.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2017, 20:24:51 by Lizzie Zoom »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 September 2017, 20:29:02 »

Ian Dunt the editor of politics.co.uk is as impartial when it comes to BREXIT as Nigal Farage.  He writes that Canada is about to gain what the UK is set to lose, ie free trade with EU.  ::)

What Canada is not gaining though is the requirement to apply EU rules and regulations to their entire economy, they're not gaining the requirement to pay billions into the EU budget, they're not gaining the requirement to allow uncontrolled immigration from the EU, nor are they giving up any of their independence or sovereignty in exchange for trade.  ;)

Now let me think, what has Canada got to offer, the EU,, 

OIL

Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 September 2017, 20:51:17 »

I don't thing just walking away is a viable option either as, regardless of how the next 4-10yrs pan out we will need a relationship with the eu going forward.

Agreed and I think that in 10 years time we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.  For what it's worth, I think that Mrs May has made some sensible concessions today and the ball is now in the EU's court.  If they say Nine/Non/Njet though rather than approach this constructively, I can't see HMG will have much option but to start preparing for No Deal  :-\  They could reciprocate by abandoning this stupid phased approach to the talks!  ::)

You say it's their club and it's their rules and we'll end up playing by them, but I wouldn't be so sure about that.  The EU are also walking a tightrope, where on one side they want to protect the political project and the other the wants and needs of people and businesses across the EU.

If they are too intransigent and end up driving us out with no trade agreement the pain will be felt not just here but across the EU.  :(  But then they don't have to worry about the electorate so much....  :-X  ;)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 September 2017, 21:10:57 »

Best option would be to walk into the room in Brussels on Monday and say...

"Actually, we have reviewed our position, and have decided that Fridays negotiation offer is now inappropriate.

As of 29th March 2019, we will trade with EU member states under WTO guidelines. Any non UK citizens have until 1st March 2018 to apply for a leave to remain or face deportation procedures prior to 28th March 2019. Priority in this matter will be given to those gainfully employed and paying tax/NI in the UK and those with legally entitled spouses.

Any European based businesses and governments have until 1st January 2019 to negotiate and formally register their trading terms with UK plc with those terms formally taking effect from 23:59 on 28th March 2019. Failure to do so will result in those countries or companies also being bound by WTO rules.

These terms are non negotiable and UK plc reserves the right to reject any terms offered should they be to the detriment of UK plc."

Juncker can huff and puff all he likes, but by this time next year, they will have little choice but to come begging for more favourable terms...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 September 2017, 21:14:53 »

On a serious note, todays speech is largely moot... unless their is unanimous aggreement from the entire EU, we can not retain access to the free market at any cost after 29th March 2019...

The time-frame allowed in Article 50 is two years - and this can only be extended by unanimous agreement from all EU countries.

If no agreement is reached in two years, and no extension is agreed, the UK automatically leaves the EU and all existing agreements - including access to the single market - would cease to apply to the UK. If that happens, Brexit Day would be Friday, 29 March 2019.

So there...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 September 2017, 21:41:11 »

You say it's their club and it's their rules and we'll end up playing by them, but I wouldn't be so sure about that.  The EU are also walking a tightrope, where on one side they want to protect the political project and the other the wants and needs of people and businesses across the EU.

The reason I say we will play is that our government is hanging by a thread (a religious fundamentalist thread at that, but that's another topic). A no-deal WTO route would split the Tory party. There are enough remoaners and reluctant leavers (or soft-brexiters if you will) in parliament, that neither major party would withstand presiding over a no deal. Politicians are ultimately predictable creatures in their drive for self preservation. They will save themselves by saving their party, some deal will be struck and then they will try to spin it to us.

DG: I did quote that very passage, and state where I thought it would leave us in the runup to the referendum, I was told in no uncertain terms that such a line was being needlessly negative. So don't you start now :P.

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 22 September 2017, 21:47:00 »

I went into ‘not really caring’ mode about a month after the referendum. I’ve now moved into ‘couldn’t give a toss’ mode. People on here will pass away before all this is sorted.  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 September 2017, 21:55:24 »

People on here will pass away before all this is sorted.  ;D

FuŁking quitters  ;)

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 22 September 2017, 21:57:04 »

People on here will pass away before all this is sorted.  ;D

FuŁking quitters  ;)
How was the pie and chips?  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 September 2017, 22:00:29 »

It was lovely, nice and sweaty by the time I got it back from the chippy. 2x Large peas to top it off (got to get your 5 a day - apparently).

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 22 September 2017, 22:08:28 »

It was lovely, nice and sweaty by the time I got it back from the chippy. 2x Large peas to top it off (got to get your 5 a day - apparently).
Good lad :y Plenty of salad on your doner kebab tomorrow, your heart will thank you for it.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.