Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: oil filter housing question  (Read 3595 times)

powerslinky

oil filter housing question
« on: 15 October 2017, 17:00:07 »

Oil change earlier today . . .  went to undo alloy cap & housing started to move with it.

Got a "massive" pair of water pump type pliers on it with a second pair of hands & off camre the cap  :y

The housing was then free to revolve . . .not good me thinks . . . so used the usual 12mm allen key adaptor to remove it & have a good look.

My question is  . . should there be some kind of stop cast into the housing to stop it spinning?

With it off . . there was nothing obvious & also nothing broken off that I could see.

So on re fitting does the housing go on in a certain position regarding revolving  . . .meaning do any holes have to line up with anything in the block?

I seem to recall there should be some sort of "stop" that locates the housing in the correct position.

Or I am I getting confused with something else? :-\ :-\     any advice appriciated  ;)

I have just put it back on & tightened the allen bolt in the centre very tight , fitted filter & re tourqed cap to 15nm

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: oil filter housing question
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2017, 17:09:17 »

Sounds like some previous asshole owner has broken it off, refitted the housing and not changed the filter again. Quite why they went back to such an arrangement and under-engineered it is beyond me.

I don't have any more of the spin-on adapters left, so can't help you there.

powerslinky

« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2017, 17:16:20 »

Sounds like some previous asshole owner has broken it off, refitted the housing and not changed the filter again. Quite why they went back to such an arrangement and under-engineered it is beyond me.

Hi Nick  . . .  getting worried now . . . . so can the housing being in the wrong position restrict or stop oil flow?    Had a real good look  at the housing & cannot see any damage at all  :-\

I need a picture of what the "Stop"  / "Lug"   should be like  ;)

Do you think it is alright to run the car as is

Will probably go down the spin on route even though the guy who was going to make a batch of the adaptors  . . didn't  LOL !

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2017, 17:33:19 »

There is was a conversion kit available from GM, don't know the numbers, not helpful, but somebody might be along, think there's a guide too.
Hoof'land storeman.

powerslinky

« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2017, 17:43:06 »

There is was a conversion kit available from GM, don't know the numbers, not helpful, but somebody might be along, think there's a guide too.

Yes Trev . . .VX do the threaded adaptor . . .around £18  as I remember .

Guide in maintenance section ..             Will probably go that route :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2017, 17:47:20 »

Hi Nick  . . .  getting worried now . . . . so can the housing being in the wrong position restrict or stop oil flow?    Had a real good look  at the housing & cannot see any damage at all  :-\

Will probably go down the spin on route even though the guy who was going to make a batch of the adaptors  . . didn't  LOL !

I could make them. But it would cost more than one of THESE so it's not going to happen ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2017, 18:42:50 »

As the misinformed are so keen to be shot of the housings, I'm sure one of the spin-on fanatics will happily give you one of their's, complete with lug ;)
Grumpy old man

powerslinky

« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2017, 18:46:50 »

I could make them. But it would cost more than one of THESE so it's not going to happen ::)

£18  last time I enquired at my local VX dealer  . . .  will get one this week  :y

powerslinky

« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2017, 18:50:10 »

As the misinformed are so keen to be shot of the housings, I'm sure one of the spin-on fanatics will happily give you one of their's, complete with lug ;)

you do make me laugh TB    ;D ;D ;D

Can you answer this one TB  ?     running the car as is with the so called "lug" not on the housing, am I liable to get oil starvation by oil ways /holes not lining up ? OR   is the lug just there to stop the housing spinning when removing the cap /
« Last Edit: 15 October 2017, 18:53:36 by Essex Big Al »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2017, 18:57:55 »

Very much doudt it Al...as the housing is only a casing for the filter and the lug stop is purely to be able to tighten it up to specific torque without it moving...very tight would be fine.

Oil gets pushed in through the hollow centre which if you look at the spigot adaptor is evident. :y 

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2017, 19:31:24 »

Couldn't give mine away, so it went in the bin. When they work, replacements are not needed. Once they're broken, reverting to the modern spin-on is the way to go as no one with any sense is going to risk the possible hassle of removing another damaged housing.

powerslinky

« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2017, 19:40:30 »

Very much doudt it Al...as the housing is only a casing for the filter and the lug stop is purely to be able to tighten it up to specific torque without it moving...very tight would be fine.

Oil gets pushed in through the hollow centre which if you look at the spigot adaptor is evident. :y

Ok  so will be alright to run to next oil change  . . .I will then fit a spin on  ( much to TB's disgust)

I have already checked it will come off again  . . . fitted filter & cap torqued up to 15nm & before adding oil loosened cap off again  . . . no problem , housing stayed tight . If after 6 months it will spin the housing again  . .who knows  ::) ::)  but leaving it for the time being :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2017, 20:37:22 »

Do you get good pressure on the gauge when you fire it up? If so, should be ok i would have thought. :-\

powerslinky

« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2017, 20:48:56 »

Do you get good pressure on the gauge when you fire it up? If so, should be ok i would have thought. :-\

Gauge . . . .what gauge?    never had an omega with an oil presure gauge  . . .& I've  had 10 :o

Guessing you mean the oil warning light  . . .& that goes out as soon as engine is started  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 October 2017, 21:11:45 »

Al.

Sure it will be just fine and if its not showing any signs of leaks then good to go.Wise move also checking cap will release.

Gives you time to source filter spigot and then on next oil change convert to canister.

Mine is still the original metal housing and this gets removed for oil change every 2 months or so given my mileage and is only ever tightened to 15nm so hopeful this isn't a problem I will ever have 8)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 October 2017, 21:30:44 »

Al, you might like to consider this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281042112447

You need M18 x 1.5 to M18 x 1.5, if it didn't show in the link - £4.17 delivered.

Ron.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2017, 21:39:16 »

The spigot in the link provided by Ron does seem to be better than the GM Genuine .

With the GM you need to rely on the oil filter tightening it into the block and securing with threadlock,and whilst that will provide a permanent solution I like the idea of being able to secure with a deep socket as this part has.

Good find Ron :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2017, 21:46:33 »

Thanks amba; I was worried, looking at the Vx original, as to how it could be tightened, apart from using two locknuts temporarily then removing them, but what a fuss! At least the hexagon in the centre will do as you said.  :y

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2017, 23:38:21 »

The spigot in the link provided by Ron does seem to be better than the GM Genuine .

With the GM you need to rely on the oil filter tightening it into the block and securing with threadlock,and whilst that will provide a permanent solution I like the idea of being able to secure with a deep socket as this part has.

Good find Ron :y

It's actually a hose joiner, so the hex in the middle might be too thick for the oil filter to seal against the block. If you're not in a rush, it might be worth a fiver to find out.The link I gave is meant to attach an oil filter, and is what I would buy.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2017, 00:50:48 »

Understood, Nick. I did buy one in anticipation of a future problem with my cannister filter, but I have it in a safe place right now!
If Al wants to try it, when I find it I will be glad to let him - reading this, Al?

Ron.

powerslinky

« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2017, 07:28:50 »

Umm ?    not too sure about this Ron. I'm with Nick on this one , having done a couple of conversions in the past,  I can see the hex shoulder protruding too much & not letting the rubber seal of the filter sit tight on the block  :-\

In the days of walk around breakers yards , easy option would have been to turn up with 2 thin M18 nuts & 2   18mm spanners & take one off of an old VX block  ::)

End of the day is it worth all the faffing about  . . .£18 for genuine item , all be it, a rip off for what it is , probably costs about 20p to make, vx is the way to go IMO ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2017, 07:41:50 »

I can see yours and Nick's concern, but if you look at the nipple that Nick linked to, it also has an unthreaded section in the centre of it, so surely the same applies?
It looks to me that the "bald" section in one and the hexagon section in the other are of similar dimensions.
Anyway, the offer still stands, Al; if and when I find the one I have, I'll post it to you and if it works, fine - keep it, I can easily get another.

Ron.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 October 2017, 09:14:08 »

Good point about the hex shoulder..cant say I tried either.

Think on reflection I,m also with the genuine GM part ..smart for 10 minutes at paying silly money :o but fit and forget. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 October 2017, 10:17:51 »

The GM part is actually screwed in using an internal
12/14mm Allen key and has a blank space at the centre of the thread to prevent over inserting without a shoulder  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 October 2017, 10:37:59 »

Ok, I accept the criticism: sorry gents, only trying to help.

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 October 2017, 10:44:47 »

12/14mm Allen key and has a blank space at the centre of the thread to prevent over inserting without a shoulder  :y

Neither of the two I bought were like that; they're just tube threaded along their entire length. Ford ones are the same.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 October 2017, 11:47:21 »

My genuine GM adapter is a pipe threaded at both ends with a non threaded portion in the centre 1inch overall length and no internal means of screwing it in.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 October 2017, 18:47:38 »

Couldn't give mine away, so it went in the bin. When they work, replacements are not needed. Once they're broken, reverting to the modern spin-on is the way to go as no one with any sense is going to risk the possible hassle of removing another damaged housing.
I wouldn't. I would recommend the housing type all day long. Had I known you were binning one, I would have had it, and converted the MV6 to that type  :'(
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 October 2017, 20:03:38 »

my original genuine (over priced) gm one wasn't. I just used two nuts and tightened the outside nut against the inside then when the threadlock had set tightened the inside to separate them then removed both
« Last Edit: 16 October 2017, 20:05:37 by migmog »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 October 2017, 20:15:19 »

Sorry Al, light is what i should have said, are there any mass produced cars that have gauges these days? ???

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16 October 2017, 20:16:59 »

I've hedged my bets a little on this for when I do the oil cooler change.I've got a canister filter and I've bought the adapter and a spin on filter in case I have to destroy something getting the filter that's on there now off,so at least I'm prepared for either scenario[I hope!!] :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.