Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netgear question .....  (Read 752 times)

Lincs Robert

Netgear question .....
« on: 18 October 2017, 19:33:11 »

Being out in the country we tend to get more than our share of power cuts/outages. Not a huge quantity, but several times a year the whole village goes off for anything between a few seconds to an hour or so.

So, when the power comes back on the home network always needs a bit of help to get going.

I’ve got two Netgear switches, an FS108 8 port blue metal jobby and FS605 5 port white plastic one.  These both connect back to the BT smart hub via Cat5e. Without exception the devices on the white one always come up ok, but the blue one needs another power cycle before everything works normally again.

Any ideas why this should be?

Cheers

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Netgear question .....
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2017, 19:55:39 »

The clue is in the brand.

TBH, the white plastic ones have shocking throughput, the blue metal ones are better, but more tempremental. Both have the shittiest PSU known to man.

At least your Netgears only play up during power surges. Mine are UPS protected, and still play up with frightening regularity.
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2017, 19:56:36 »

The clue is in the brand.

TBH, the white plastic ones have shocking throughput, the blue metal ones are better, but more tempremental. Both have the shittiest PSU known to man.

At least your Netgears only play up during power surges. Mine are UPS protected, and still play up with frightening regularity.

What low cost alternatives are there?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2017, 20:07:13 »

Assuming totally unmanaged, I'd go budget brand from one of the big wholesalers.  I have a soft spot for cnet unmanaged switches.  I fact I have an old one in the cupboard at work that has been truly abused, and always "just works". Internal psu as well. Left unused now, as 100Mb is too slow to be useful.

For Smart switches, then low end Cisco "Small Business" range, every time (and most here know, Cisco and I have a bit of a hate relationship). Dependable, stable.

For full managed, I'd need to understand a lot more.
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2017, 20:12:24 »

Cheers, unmanaged is adequate.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2017, 08:22:56 »

I have a couple of the blue Netgear switches, also fed from a UPS. I find that one of the sockets packs up every so often. Every time, I go checking the cabling, then spend ages trying to remember how to configure the network settings on a printer or whatever, then I trace the cable back to a Netgear switch, a little light bulb comes on and I restart the switch. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2017, 18:42:07 »

I have a couple of the blue Netgear switches, also fed from a UPS. I find that one of the sockets packs up every so often. Every time, I go checking the cabling, then spend ages trying to remember how to configure the network settings on a printer or whatever, then I trace the cable back to a Netgear switch, a little light bulb comes on and I restart the switch. >:(
I have this with the Netgear Prosafe's I have here - mostly GS724T's. Only fix is a power cycle. Looks, in my case, to be related to the eco wank it has. Mine have been better behaved for a few weeks now, since disabling "green Ethernet"
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.